Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default Camera Thread- Attn Ebbs, PC, etc....

Basically, Dell has the Sony A330 for $400 and our local Best Buy has the 300mm lens for $150 open box which makes the entire kit, camera with a 18-55mm lens and a 70-300 mm lens $550... It sounds like a great deal on a decent camera for someone like me who can almost settle for the 5M I get from my phone.

Opinions?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887570

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=A2867115

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665345645

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+7...&skuId=7909196

I think the lenses are slightly different but this should give you all a decent idea of what I'm looking at, thanks in advance.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

A friend of mine is a Sony A700 user and is generally happy with it. The A330 has built in image stabilization, which is good when you're taking shots in low light, but will cause blur if you don't forget to turn it off when shooting moving subjects. That's just a FYI. It also has an anti-dust system which, while not as good as the Olympus system ( ) is still better than not having one. Overall it's a pretty nice camera. You'll want another lens or two though.

If this is an "open box" then it might be a demo model. Odds are that it's had the lens off a fair bit, possibly while on display, so it may have a serious dust problem despite having the anti-dust system. If you do buy it, you'll likely want to have it professionally cleaned. You'll certainly want to take a look at the mirror (don't touch!), to make sure that it isn't gunked up.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Not a bad deal.. that's what I had with my first camera (though Canon) the 18-55 and 70-300.

it all depends on what your trying to do. the Sony camera a friend had (can't remember what model) was damn impressive with the anti-shake that's built into the camera.

but I fell in love with Nikon when I used my friends D200 (ended up buying the D300)

you may tire of switching lenses (something that annoyed me with the Cannon) but there are options... Nikon makes a 18-200 mm super zoom... and I know Tamron makes a 18-270mm...

the only problem I see... is the availability of lenses... if you decide to buy more... I don't know that anyone besides Sony makes ones that will fit. Sony's lenses seem to be reasonably priced until you get into the Carl Zeiss lenses... $1500+

if your looking for something to just fuck around with... but have more options than a point and shoot.... I'd say check out the Olympus Pen... or Panasonic Lumix's
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Focus speed with the PENs isn't up to even entry level DSLR standards yet. I know. I've got a E-P2. The Panasonic Micro Four-Thirds cameras are a little faster. I'd go DSLR if even thinking about doing some action shots.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Focus speed with the PENs isn't up to even entry level DSLR standards yet. I know. I've got a E-P2. The Panasonic Micro Four-Thirds cameras are a little faster. I'd go DSLR if even thinking about doing some action shots.
true... but his comments on liking the 5mp in his phone... made me think he'd want something a bit more compact.

to be honest... I have to plan to take my D300 anywhere to take pics... I can't just throw it in a pocket and have it handy for those "hey check that out" moments.

I just bought a Canon Powershot SX210is for that... has full manual mode but will still fit in my pocket. not DSLR standards by any means... but any camera is better than none.

but yeah Tig, er... Amber if your looking for something to take action shots... this is a decent deal.

you can also check out used cameras... sometimes you can get good prices on camera's with good lenses
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
goof2
AMA Supersport

I would be a bit wary of the lens especially if, as Papa mentioned, it was a demo model on the floor. In between dust, drops, and abuse those lenses take every day it may never work right. That being said, make sure you know what model the lens is. If it is the 75-300 you linked to at bestbuy's website it probably isn't worth it since new it is only $100 more expensive. For $50 more than the open box lens you could get a new Sony 55-200 lens instead. If it is the 70-300 lens you linked to at Sony's website it could be a very nice deal. That lens sells for a lot more new and as long it is not all messed up I would snap it up.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Yea there's no way I'd buy a demo camera. I don't even think a professional cleaning would get it all cleaned out.

That said all my cameras have always been Nikons so I can't speak outside of that. The only time I hardly get mine out anymore is for professional gigs. By and large I use the camera on my Incredible.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Thanks guys!!! Well, the camera wasn't open box, just the lens but that doesn't matter because I got the camera, with a 18-55 mm and the 75-300 mm (brand new) and the 2 year black tie warranty-including accidental damage for $600. Not a bad deal at all! best Buy has a promotion that takes $100 off the lens as a bundle. They matched Dell's price on the camera and the warranty is $59.

Btw Brandon, I also have a Sony Cybershot W-150 for p&s work and my gf has a Sony HX-1 (I think). It's a p&s that takes lens... FWIW Minolta lenses work on this camera as well.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Nice! FWIW... the black tie warrenties through best buy are fucking AWESOME! I know two people (one is my brother) who have broken their camera's (brothers fell out of his truck at 25mph wheeling) took it in... they gave them what they paid for it in credit... and both upgraded. my brothers camera was 2 years old at the time he did this. no questions asked...

makes me wish i bought my D300 from them... could upgrade to a D700 when I break it... lol
Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Thanks guys!!! Well, the camera wasn't open box, just the lens but that doesn't matter because I got the camera, with a 18-55 mm and the 75-300 mm (brand new) and the 2 year black tie warranty-including accidental damage for $600. Not a bad deal at all! best Buy has a promotion that takes $100 off the lens as a bundle. They matched Dell's price on the camera and the warranty is $59.

Btw Brandon, I also have a Sony Cybershot W-150 for p&s work and my gf has a Sony HX-1 (I think). It's a p&s that takes lens... FWIW Minolta lenses work on this camera as well.
I couldn't say that you made a bad decision when it comes to the camera. I agree with the earlier statement that I would not buy a "demo" camera, I'm just too finicky, but the lense.... yeah you could get away with.

I had the Cybershot W-150 for the wife, great little P/S.

Good luck with your DSLR adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post

makes me wish i bought my D300 from them... could upgrade to a D700 when I break it... lol
Do Eeet. Break that mopho and get the upgrade.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote