Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-01-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n
Default A rare venting

Last week, while driving home in Toronto's horrendous traffic, I had my power steering go out. Fortunately this happened at about 20 MPH, or it could have been much worse, as steering effort went up about 10X. If it had happened on a ramp or during a lane change......

I managed to drive most of the way home and shut the car off at a stop light. When I started it back up the power steering was back up and running, so the last few miles home were no issue.

I did a quick internet search and found that there were a lot of people reporting that their Mazda 5 also had experienced a power steering failure, usually in heavy traffic or high temperatures. Checking the online vehicle recall database, however, showed no recalls for this safety-related failure.

So I called my dealership. Sure enough "some" Mazda 5 units are experiencing an overheat of the power steering pump, which they're replacing. I took the day off from work yesterday so that I could drop off my car and pick it up later in the day. Well once I'm ready to get a lift home from the dealership I'm told they'll be giving me a rental car, because the parts are back-ordered, and it could be TWO WEEKS before I get my car back.

Well I can't drive my car in that condition (constantly wondering if my steering will fail again), so I'm stuck. I wait around for the in-house rental person to show up and they give me a fairly new Camry to use. This morning I head out to the car, to drop the shock that I have to return because it won't fit my bike (another long story), only to find that the trunk is locked and they gave me a VALET KEY! The rear seats are locked in place too, so I can't get into the trunk PERIOD. Well I'm not going to leave a $800.00 shock in plain view in the parking lot at work all day, so it stayed at home. I'll have to get it tonight and then head off to UPS from there, instead of just dropping it off on the way home. Bugger.

End rant.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Sucks dude. Why the heck did they only give you the valet key?

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

The only thing that I can figure is that they don't want me using the trunk, since it was in the valet locked position and the seats were locked from inside the trunk. It's complete idiocy. I'm supposed to drive this thing for up to two weeks, get groceries, move my shit, but not use the trunk? They'll be hearing from me, as soon as they open.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

So taking the shock in to work with you was out of the question?...

BTW check for a trunk release button in the glovebox or next to the seat before you make a fool of your self.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post

BTW check for a trunk release button in the glovebox or next to the seat before you make a fool of your self.
I believe the camry has one on the floor
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Clay
I know nothing...

I wouldn't exactly be worried about the shock. There are only .0000001% of the population that knows it's worth something!
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post

As Dave said Toyota mounts their trunk release on the floor just in front of the drivers seat. It can be locked so the trunk release lever will not work and the valet key will not unlock it. It is pretty obviously placed so I would guess Papa has tried it.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
I wouldn't exactly be worried about the shock. There are only .0000001% of the population that knows it's worth something!
That's what I was thinking. To everyone else it's a random piece of "ooooo, what's that?"

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
That's what I was thinking. To everyone else it's a random piece of "ooooo, what's that?"
I can't see taking a day off work over it...
Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
As Dave said Toyota mounts their trunk release on the floor just in front of the drivers seat. It can be locked so the trunk release lever will not work and the valet key will not unlock it. It is pretty obviously placed so I would guess Papa has tried it.
Maybe but he sure didn't mention it...