Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory
Default ECU Flashing Just a heads up

I had a several very frustrating hours yesterday. After riding the B King over to GIXERHP place to install a Back off Module, a new tire and install the ECU Flashing Kit I bought from Boost by Smith (BTW Greg was great about taking calls on a Saturday morning and walking us through the install , he is a good guy to do Business with) After the install we John , His Friend Kent and myself) downloaded Petriks Ecudicator software and made a first run at Flashing the ECU. First we verified the ECU. Software says yes it there, make the a few changes (pulling the timing retard out of the 2nd 5th and 6th we run the flash. Verify the flash is complete. Try to start the bike, The starter tuns but nothing, the fuel pump doesn't cycle and the bike won't start. So at the moment and the next several hours I own the worlds ugliest 500 lb paperweight. We made multiple attempts to reflash the bike back to stock called Greg again who having a life of his own with his partner and new baby didn't answer. I poured through every post I could find about Reflashing a B King used every magic word I could think of in at least 3 languages. Then John stumbles across a reference to a difference in the Euro and Ozzy bike and the US ones. We go back out on the web and find an Updated version of Petriks Software which has a separate section of Base maps for US bikes Install it , The Bike starts right up two click later the the timing retard is out the bike is running great. (As is most cases User Error was the problem)
As near as we can tell the Euro and Ozzy Bikes use a Anti Theft Key and the ECU appears to disable the fuel pump circuit if the Key in not Present. (Please feel free to correct me if someone has better data)
Well despite the lost afternoon, I am very impressed with this setup. The Kit I got from Boostby Smith for $199 was a simple install that amount to plugging tow wires into empty spots on the ECU harness and connecting them to two empty spots on the Yoshi Plug (you have to push out the factory rubber plugs they use to keep moisture out) Plug the Boost by Smith Harness into the Dealer service plug and the Yoshi plug under the seat plug eight pin connector into the switch box and the box into a USB port. You now have control of the fuel injection, timing , timing retard, and on newer bikes with an Oxygen sensor give you instant feedback on fuel air mixes (lean or rich). All of this with no need to use up Space on the bike (there is damn little on the B King)
No Power Commander, no Power Commander timing module no TRE just wire I plug my computer into.
Can not say enough good things about Petrick's free software (he does not make a dime on this stuff but he and his fellow developer have given us an amazing tool)
I have run on a bit here but let me summarize
ECU Flashing Good
Not Researching and Getting Latest Software BAD!
Boost by Smith ECU Flashing Harness Great Product
Boost by Smith Service (taking calls on a Saturday at home with family) Superb !