Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
goof2
AMA Supersport

Default Training crash kills Olympic luge competitor

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- A men's luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia died Friday after a crash during training, an Olympic official with direct knowledge of the situation said.

The death cast a shocking pall over the Vancouver Olympics hours before the opening ceremony.

The official told The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili's death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger's family hadn't been notified yet.

There was no immediate comment from Vancouver organizers, international luge officials or the International Olympic Committee. At the Whistler track, officials said the IOC and VANOC were preparing a joint statement to be released Friday afternoon.

Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

Rescue workers were at his side within seconds, chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

Kumaritashvili struck the inside wall of the track on the final turn. His body immediately went airborne and cleared the ice-coated concrete wall along the left side of the sliding surface. His sled remained in the track, and it appeared his helmet visor skidded down the ice.

"It's a very rare situation," three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said before news of Kumaritashvili's death broke, clearly shaken moments after seeing Kumaritashvili tended to furiously by medical officials.

Olympic competition in men's luge is scheduled to begin Saturday. It's unclear if that schedule would be affected.

It was unclear how fast Kumaritashvili was going, although many sliders have exceeded 90 mph on this course. The track is considered the world's fastest and several Olympians recently questioned its safety. More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations -- like Georgia -- had enough time to prepare for the daunting track.

At the finish area, not far from where Kumaritashvili lost control, athletes, coaches and officials solemnly awaited word on Kumaritashvili before eventually being ushered away. Access to the crash area was closed within about 30 minutes.

"I've never seen anything like that," said Shiva Keshavan, a four-time Olympian from India.

The remainder of men's training was canceled for the day, with VANOC officials saying in a release that an investigation was taking place to "ensure a safe field of play."

Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

Earlier in the day, gold-medal favorite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

Training days in Whistler have been crash-filled. A Romanian woman was briefly knocked unconscious and at least four Americans -- Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Tony Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked -- have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

"I think they are pushing it a little too much," Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Ouch..

Cant wait to see the opening ceremo0nies though. Wish I coulda been there.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

yikes. Are they doing skeleton this year? Gotta be real hairy for those guys
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Ouch..
I actually said that very thing aloud as I read.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

God Speed! If it can't kill ya it aint a sport. Still I wonder if the Olympic committee has considered air fence?

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

The video of it was pretty shocking. At the time they were still saying they did not know anything about his condition...But you just knew when he hit, it was over.
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

I heard its the fastest course in the world.

At this point, is your life worth it for a piece of gold?
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

WTF? Is your life worth Gold? I have risked more for a piece of particle board and chromed plastic. I have a wonderful friend paralyzed for life chasing the glory of an AMA career. This is the price of commitment that he no doubt understood fully.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
I heard its the fastest course in the world.

At this point, is your life worth it for a piece of gold?
People have willingly risked their lives for a lot less.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #10
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
WTF? Is your life worth Gold? I have risked more for a piece of particle board and chromed plastic. I have a wonderful friend paralyzed for life chasing the glory of an AMA career. This is the price of commitment that he no doubt understood fully.
Posted while I was typing, but I agree. To your earlier question, they are reviewing the course now and I wouldn't be surprized if there was airfence or something similar put up in a few locations.