Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Default You earthquake victim children, Do Not Pass Go. Do not Collect $200.

Let me preface this by saying...I really, really despise missionaries, but I have not yet formed an opinion about how this situation should be handled.

MSN Tracking Image
MSNBC.com

Haiti charges U.S. church members with kidnap
Case of 10 missionaries sent to a judge to determine group's fate
NBC News and news services
updated 2:44 p.m. CT, Thurs., Feb. 4, 2010

PORT-AU-PRINCE - Ten U.S. missionaries in Haiti were charged Thursday with child kidnapping and criminal association for allegedly trying to take children illegally out of the earthquake-hit country.

After announcing the charges, Haitian Deputy Prosecutor Jean Ferge Joseph told the 10 their case was being sent to an investigative judge.

"That judge can free you but he can also continue to hold you for further proceedings," the deputy prosecutor told the five men and five women in a hearing.

The U.S. citizens were whisked away from the closed court hearing to jail in Port-au-Prince. One of them, Laura Silsby, waved and smiled faintly to reporters but declined to answer questions.

The Americans, most of whom belong to an Idaho-based Baptist church, were arrested last week on Haiti's border with the Dominican Republic when they tried to cross with a busload of 33 children they said were orphaned by the devastating Jan. 12 quake.

Haitian authorities said the group lacked the authorization and travel documents needed to take the children out of the country. The group denies any wrongdoing.

The group's lawyer, Edwin Coq, who attended Thursday's hearing, said the church members face three to nine years in prison if they are found guilty at trial. Under Haiti's legal system, there won't be an open trial, but a judge will consider the evidence and could render a verdict in about three months, he said.

"We're not 100 percent sure if they will find them guilty. I don't think they will, I don't think there will be a charge," Coq said.

Earlier, Coq said that nine of his 10 clients were “completely innocent,” but added that “if the judiciary were to keep one, it could be the leader of the group.” He appeared to be referring to Silsby, who helped organize the mission to Haiti and has spoken for the Americans since they were detained last Friday.

'Other legal avenues'
Silsby has said the church members were trying to take orphans and abandoned children to an orphanage in the neighboring Dominican Republic. She acknowledged they may have lacked paperwork but said they just meant to help victims of the quake.

Haitian officials say many of the 33 still had parents, though they may have handed over the children willingly.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said in Washington the U.S. was monitoring the case and was open to discuss "other legal avenues" for the defendants — an apparent reference to the Haitian prime minister's earlier suggestion that Haiti could consider sending the Americans back to the United States for prosecution.

"But right now the matter rests within the Haitian judicial system," Crowley said. "We respect that. And we will continue to have discussions with the Haitian government as this case proceeds."

People in the village of Callebas have contradicted claims that the children, aged between 2 and 12, came from orphanages or were handed over by distant relatives.

They said they had surrendered their children after a local orphanage worker, fluent in English and acting on behalf of the Baptists, convened nearly the entire village of 500 people on a dirt soccer field to present an offer from the Americans.

Parents jumped at offer
Isaac Adrien, 20, told his neighbors the missionaries would educate their children in the neighboring Dominican Republic, the villagers said, adding that they were also assured they would be free to visit their children there.

Adrien said he met Silsby in Port-au-Prince on Jan. 26. She told him she was looking for homeless children, he said, and he knew exactly where to find them.

He rushed home to Callebas, where people scrape by growing carrots, peppers and onions. That day, he had a list of 20 children. Many parents said they had jumped at the offer.

"It's only because the bus was full that more children didn't go," said Melanie Augustin, a 58-year-old who gave her 10-year-old daughter, Jovin, to the Americans.

Laurentius Lelly, a 27-year-old computer technician who gave up his two children, ages 4 and 6, said: "I am living in a tent with a friend. My main concern is that if the kids come back I'm not going to be able to feed them."

Lelly said he was worried the Haitian judicial system would not properly investigate the case.

"I would like to find out if these people were really going to help the kids or were trying to steal them," Lelly said.

Representatives of the missionary group said Wednesday from the Dominican Republic that the missionaries "willingly accepted kids they knew were not orphans because the parents said they would starve otherwise."

Prime Minister Max Bellerive has suggested the Americans could be prosecuted in the United States because Haiti's shattered court system may not be able to cope with a trial.

In Washington, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the attempt to bring undocumented children out of Haiti was "unfortunate whatever the motivation" and the Americans should have followed proper procedures. She said U.S. officials were in discussions with Haitian authorities about how to resolve the case.

© 2010 msnbc.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35235514...ti_earthquake/

MSN Privacy . Legal
© 2010 MSNBC.com

Drat. That title was supposed to be "You saved earthquake victim children" oh well.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
CasterTroy

If it were Brad And Angelina, Haiti would have set up delivery service for them
Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

If your dumb enough to go to a foreign country, take children you deem to be orphans and try to transport them across the border to another foreign country without any permission\documents then you are dumb enough to sit in jail.

Everybody has good intentions.....
blah blah blah

They are either extremely stupid or there intentions were not all that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i'm sure if we send their country just a little more money they'll release them.

that said if the idiots didn't have proper authority to take the children then tank 'em. missionaries seem to think they can do what ever they want because in their minds it's best for whatever cause they believe in.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
If your dumb enough to go to a foreign country, take children you deem to be orphans and try to transport them across the border to another foreign country without any permission\documents then you are dumb enough to sit in jail.

blah blah blah

Well said Fiero boy.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post

blah blah blah

That was so well said, I'm not even going to mention your terrible taste in cars.

That's how well said it was.

JC
Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by udman View Post
Well said Fiero boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
That was so well said, I'm not even going to mention your terrible taste in cars.

That's how well said it was.

JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Sucks for the kids. They were about to get out of that hell hole of a country and now they are stuck back in the shit hole.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #9
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

It's funny that the government is nowhere to be found when a major natural disaster happens, but they are right there when a few of their kids are taken.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
If it were Brad And Angelina, Haiti would have set up delivery service for them
If it was Brad and Angelina, they would have ASKED.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote