Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville
Default Temporary government jobs.

Last edited by Triple; 02-19-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

I started out here as a contractor. There was no end date for the contract but after 6 months they offered a direct position so yeah it gets your foot in the door. The only problem is you get used to making that contractor pay and it hurts when you take a direct hire job. Usually about 30-40% less in our industry.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Around here those are the jobs that get your foot in the door. You can go from contract to contract for years....so I wouldn't be too worried about it. go for it!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Yes. When you start as a "temp" position it gets your foot in the door. The people that do the hiring get a chance to see how you work and know your name. Provided you are not a shit bag, it will help your chances of future employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Yup, alot of times they announce those jobs as temorary jobs with the intent to hire the person if they work out, especially if it is a specialized field. I'm guessing that it is an actual temp job and not a contractor job. Contractor jobs while still a foot in the door isnt as big of a foot in the door, contractors are hired to do a specific job, the gov employees and more important the project or section director may notice you and eventually offer you a job by writing the description to fit your skill set, or through a by name request.

I do have a friend who was offered and IT job after being a contractor for 4 months, she starts in a week.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

I know someone in Florida who is looking at a 1 year contract job working for the gubbament in Iraq, in IT management. The pay is something ridiculous - in the $250K-300K range. Found out about the opportunity from my buddy who was working at SOCOM but just came back to work for us at the end of the year.

If were younger and single, I'd definitely consider pursuing something like that. Would be an interesting experience and it's good coin.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

I started 3.5 years ago in a temp goverment job, and have been permanent for a year now.

Temp jobs, in Canada at least, allow you to get a foot in the door. Another advantage is that you can apply for other internal jobs that outsiders do not get a chance to apply for.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Do it. Guv jobs are pretty awesome. Once you're in it opens a wealth of opportunity.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I believe these positions are part of Obama's infrastructure stimulus plan, so when they say temporary, they may really mean it. Once the construction is finished, they may not need all of the people they hired to complete it. The jobs I'm interested in are all in parks and recreation, and the openings are at a huge park just north of where I live. Even their general labor positions pay a few dollars more per hour than my current job in administration, and their crew leader positions (what I am considered now) pay about $14K more than I earn now. Means little if they cut me loose after the work is finished, though.

I'm going to apply anyway, if for nothing else just some more information.
Yes I believe it will get your foot in the door. Even if its not right after the contract it might help a little while later if something else comes up.

How hard will it be to find another job paying what you make now? If you make good money now and think it will be hard to get back to that pay later then I wouldn't move to quick if its something that you can get close to I would take off in a second.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
The jobs I'm interested in are all in parks and recreation, and the openings are at a huge park just north of where I live.
Working in the park, there's nothing to spend your money on. So you save more than someone working permanently in the city. If you can't get hired full-time, you can maybe get another temporary job in another park.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote