Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000
Default Global Warming - Hoax?

Ok, I did a search and didn't see this posted anywhere here: http://www.examiner.com/x-25061-Clim...nts-and-emails

Granted, a lot of those e-mails could be taken out of context, but one would be pretty hard pressed to describe a context where the wording would be acceptable.

I'm sure AquaPython's already read this... what's your take?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

Interesting.. but how real is it? I don't know about " warming" per say, but I do know that the climate has changed over the past 20 years or so. We used to get a lot more snow than we do now, it's the end of November and there is not a flake on the ground! I swear summers used to be hotter too, but that just might be the memory of a child who loved to spend her summers running around outside.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I definitely think there has been global climate change. And in my mind it seems to be happening a lot faster than it used to (based on historical graphs).

I remember cold cold winters with tons of snow. Now, we hardly get anything.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Commenting on the specific link and snippets of emails posted in that article.....they are all taken extremely out of context. "edited for brevity" could also be interpreted as edited for journalistic intent. I think for the most part this is stuff taken out of context and that could logically be explained.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

A more concise version:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/23/h...ate/index.html
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Rider
Moto GP Star

Global warming is a naturally occurring cycle and I'm not worried about it in the least little bit.. Who's to say that we aren't in a normal warming cycle? Besides you should have seen the shit ton of snow we had last year.. global warming my ass.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Global warming is a naturally occurring cycle and I'm not worried about it in the least little bit.. Who's to say that we aren't in a normal warming cycle? Besides you should have seen the shit ton of snow we had last year.. global warming my ass.
Well, doesn't the data that shows how the fluctuations have become wider since industrialization lead you to think that maybe we are having an effect?
Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Well, doesn't the data that shows how the fluctuations have become wider since industrialization lead you to think that maybe we are having an effect?
No.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
CrazyKell
Vrooom

I agree that we are in a natural cycle. Not arguing that. I just think we are having more of an effect on the environment than we should be.

I "worry" for lack of a better word because I want to be aware of my effect on things.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

I don't really buy into the whole 'environmental warming' thing but I support it. It has been my experience that people won't do anything unless there is something in it for them. I have been following this story the last week or so since it came out and have taken the time to read through the majority of the emails in full. I agree that it shows a lot of deceptive science (not quite to the extent that the journalist would have you believe) but at the same time the alternative data is based on a science that isn't fully excepted in the scientific community (tree rings).

If it encourages people to be more environmentally responsible then it is a necessary evil. Kind of like the whole weapons of mass destruction in Iraq ordeal. People need motivation, if I was to say "hey I think it might be a good idea to make an effort to make less of an impact on the earth" or "We HAVE to make less of an impact on earth or we will all die" which do you think people are going to respond to.

Before everyone gets upset about the whole 'masking trends by inserting additional data' you should keep in mind that most people don't even read the data or reports from scientific studies they just get the 'cliff notes' from a third party who has an agenda of there own and go from there.

Take into consideration the Prius, heralded as the most environ. friendly car. I wonder how many people who own one know that it is actually pretty bad for the environment, take into account the carbon debt accrued in manufacturing and the drive miles it takes to pay off vs an older used car whose carbon debt is already paid off I.E. (Prius' higher manufacturing impact + (Emissions per mile x miles driven)) is equal to or less than a used car's (manufacturing impact + (emissions per mile x miles driven)). Oh yea then the kicker, by the time you achieve being on the same level as an older car in overall footprint you have to get a new battery bank and dispose of the 30 lbs of mercury in the old batteries... setting you back. Then when you achieve equality again you buy a new car. How many people who run out and buy the new Prius are going to keep it longer than a person who buys an older used car and keeps it in good condition? Hate to break it to you but my old '97 Cavalier (my baby) is better for the earth than your new Prius currently and odds are you won't keep it long enough to overcome that.

Yes, weather patterns are changing but this is the natural course of things. You can see this in data spanning a decade, century or even millions of years. Even if we stopped ALL emissions today and lived in perfect balance with the earth another ice age is still going to happen. Our carbon output may accelerate this a bit but once again, after reading numerous studies on it I don't think it is as dire as they would like us to believe. The 'Day After Tomorrow' theory isn't going to happen.
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote