Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default Call a flatbed next time...fattie

Ambulances start charging extra for obese patients
By HEATHER HOLLINGSWORTH, Associated Press Writer Heather Hollingsworth, Associated Press Writer Thu Oct 22, 2:48 pm ET

TOPEKA, Kan. – The memory still bothers Ken Keller: A panicked ambulance crew had a critically ill patient, but the man weighed more than 1,000 pounds and could not fit inside the vehicle. And the stretcher wasn't sturdy enough to hold him.

The crew offered an idea to Keller, who was then an investigator with the Kansas Board of Emergency Medical Services. Could they use a forklift to load the man — bed and all — onto a flatbed truck? Keller agreed: There was no other choice.

"I'm sure it was terribly embarrassing to be in his own bed, riding on the back of a flatbed with straps tying him down, going to the hospital, and then have a forklift at the hospital unload him," Keller said.

As the nation battles the obesity crisis, ambulance crews are trying to improve how they transport extremely heavy patients, who become significantly more difficult to move as they surpass 350 pounds. And caring for such patients is expensive, requiring costly equipment and extra workers, so some ambulance companies have started charging higher fees for especially overweight people.

The move to modify ambulances is just the latest effort to accommodate plus-sized patients. Some hospitals already offer specially designed beds, wheelchairs, walkers and even commodes.

Ambulance companies say it's time for insurance providers, Medicaid and Medicare, or patients themselves to begin paying the added costs, which are cutting into their razor-thin profit margins.

In the past, ambulance companies often absorbed the extra expense of serving the obese. Now they are adding charges similar to those already imposed on intensive-care patients, people requiring multiple medications and patients on ventilators.

"In order for these systems to survive and continue to provide their service, there has to be some way to recover those costs," said Jim Buell, a director at the American Ambulance Association.

Transporting extremely heavy people costs about 2 1/2 times as much as normal-weight patients. It takes more time to move them and requires three to four times more crew members, who often must use expensive specialty equipment, Buell said.

Keller, now an operations manager for the American Medical Response unit in Topeka, successfully petitioned the Shawnee County Commission last summer to raise ambulance fees from $629 to $1,172 for critical-care patients and people who are 500 pounds or heavier.

In Colorado Springs, Colo., and the Nebraska cities of Omaha and Lincoln, the fees are $1,421 for an extremely obese patient, compared with $758 for a typical patient.

Before those ambulances had heavy-duty equipment, crews just had to make do, often calling in burly firefighters to help lift patients.

"I've heard stories of people moved by U-Haul trucks and sides of mobile homes having to be removed to move patients out, things of that nature," said Ted Sayer, a general manager for the American Medical Response unit.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has long said that nearly a third of Americans are obese. About 5 percent of the population is morbidly obese, meaning they are more than 100 pounds heavier than their ideal weight.

Some critics say the higher fees are a form of discrimination.

"Ambulance services are a critical public service and should accommodate the needs of all of those who require them at a fair cost," said Joseph Nadglowski, president of the Obesity Action Coalition, a group that advocates for the obese.

Higher payments for heavy patients are commonplace in Oregon and Washington because the insurance industry there acknowledges the additional costs, said Liz Merritt, a spokeswoman for Scottsdale, Ariz.-based Rural/Metro Corporation, an ambulance provider.

Ambulance companies say the insurance industry is their best hope for closing the financial gap.

As with any medical service, ambulance companies bill private insurers or government health care programs. Medicare and Medicaid do not pay extra for transporting the extremely obese, although that's something the ambulance industry wants to change. The uninsured are charged directly, but many of them cannot pay.

"It's really an emerging area," said Susan Pisano, a spokeswoman for the America's Health Insurance Plans, an insurance industry trade group. "It is one more way that obesity is contributing to health costs."

Proponents of the extra fees say obese patients are grateful for equipment that eliminates the need for flatbed trucks and forklifts.

"We've noticed that people who are heavy know that they are heavy, and they don't want to impose on others, and they don't want someone injured while moving them," Sayer said.

Like many ambulance companies, Keller's unit in Topeka recently spent about $10,000 to retrofit an ambulance with equipment that accommodates patients weighing up to 1,600 pounds. Ambulance services with helicopters also are creating larger patient compartments and adding stronger gurneys.

Sales of specialized lift systems nationwide are expected to reach $193 million by 2012, up from $75 million in 2004, according to EMS Insider, an industry newsletter. The sale of specialized stretchers is expected to nearly double to $50 million in 2012.

Keller is hopeful more companies add the equipment so the very obese will receive better care. He recently went out on a call involving a severely overweight woman.

"The family was there, and we brought the cot in and helped her onto the cot. And she said, 'I appreciate it so much, you looking out for our needs,'" Keller said. "And I thought that was pretty cool."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

cant wait till we get that government run health care and these folks get cut off.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

I know a girl upstate...former cuty, then fatty (during the cuty to fatty transition..she became a militant NOW rep...but now she works for an Assemblyman) and now morbidly obese fatty.

She snacks on "brownie soup"

How to make:
Get brownie mix.
Add all the ingredients
mix
toss in microwave for a couple of seconds to warm it up (but not actually cook it)
eat.

(then if you are a normal human being...vomit your brains out)

I'm patiently awaiting the day when she shows up on the news for a "fireman rescue obese women from bedroom she hasn't left for 10 years" story.

Crap, I feel nauseous just telling the brownie soup story

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Weeding out the gene pool one fat fuck at a time.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Jesus. I think I'd rather have whole stuffed camel than brownie soup.

NOW...what a huge waste of time.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I know a girl upstate...former cuty, then fatty (during the cuty to fatty transition..she became a militant NOW rep...but now she works for an Assemblyman) and now morbidly obese fatty.

She snacks on "brownie soup"

How to make:
Get brownie mix.
Add all the ingredients
mix
toss in microwave for a couple of seconds to warm it up (but not actually cook it)
eat.

(then if you are a normal human being...vomit your brains out)

I'm patiently awaiting the day when she shows up on the news for a "fireman rescue obese women from bedroom she hasn't left for 10 years" story.

Crap, I feel nauseous just telling the brownie soup story
On which does she blame her obesity; problems with genetics, metabolism, or thyroid?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
On which does she blame her obesity; problems with genetics, metabolism, or thyroid?

When she was 18, she had a seizure and ended up on medication. That's when she began to transition from cutey to fatty. she blamed her weight gain on the medication. (the weigh gain had nothing to do with the 2 bags Dorito's+2 packets of string cheeze after dinner every night followed by oreos and Ice cream before bedtime every day. All spent on the couch she rarely left because of her "condition". It also had nothing to do with "big italian dinners" her mom would make every day).

Once in college, and 100lbs later, and the "why won't any guys ask me out?" kept piling on, she turned to lesbianism and joined up with N.O.W.
Being among many other tubby angry cows blaming all around them for their woes, she learned that OMG my weight gain is due things I can't control!!!

That would be
genetics,
metabolism,
and thyroid.

Quote:
Old 10-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Some critics say the higher fees are a form of discrimination.

"Ambulance services are a critical public service and should accommodate the needs of all of those who require them at a fair cost," said Joseph Nadglowski, president of the Obesity Action Coalition, a group that advocates for the obese.

Why does he care?
Old 10-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:

When she was 18, she had a seizure and ended up on medication. That's when she began to transition from cutey to fatty. she blamed her weight gain on the medication. (the weigh gain had nothing to do with the 2 bags Dorito's+2 packets of string cheeze after dinner every night followed by oreos and Ice cream before bedtime every day. All spent on the couch she rarely left because of her "condition". It also had nothing to do with "big italian dinners" her mom would make every day).

Once in college, and 100lbs later, and the "why won't any guys ask me out?" kept piling on, she turned to lesbianism and joined up with N.O.W.
Being among many other tubby angry cows blaming all around them for their woes, she learned that OMG my weight gain is due things I can't control!!!

That would be
genetics,
metabolism,
and thyroid.
I figured. It seems those are the three go to excuses for those who have become morbidly obese. It never has anything to do with the daily caloric intake of Michael Phelps coupled with physical activity equivalent to the average houseplant.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post

Why does he care?
He probably has a close relative who would crack concrete by walking on it, you know, if they walked.

On a side note, none of the chairs behind him look like they could take a 500+ pound person. I guess none of them could make it out of the house.