Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6
Default The Woman of Tomorrow: Shorter, Plumper, & More Fertile

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...-more-fertile/

Quote:
Look into the future and see the women of tomorrow! A new study predicts that future women will be a tad shorter, heavier, and more fertile—that is, if the women who are currently most successful at producing children are any indication. The team studied 2238 women who had passed menopause and so completed their reproductive lives…[and] tested whether a woman’s height, weight, blood pressure, cholesterol or other traits correlated with the number of children she had borne. They controlled for changes due to social and cultural factors to calculate how strongly natural selection is shaping these traits [New Scientist].

Their results show that shorter, heavier women tend to have more children, as do women with lower blood pressure and cholesterol. If the mothers pass on these traits for 10 generations, the average woman in 2409 will be 2 centimetres shorter and 1 kilogram [about 2 pounds] heavier than she is today. She will bear her first child about 5 months earlier and enter menopause 10 months later [New Scientist]. A two-centimeter decrease over 400 years may be a modest change, but the researchers say it’s evolution in action. The study will be published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The finding jibes with previous research showing that shorter women are more likely to have long-term relationships with men, and are also more likely to have children (however, that study was based on British people that are now over 50 years old, so it’s not clear if this trend extends to younger generations, or other cultures). Researchers really have no idea why men seem to be drawn to shorter women, but Daniel Nettle, who led the research that shows men prefer shorter mates, has an idea. “We know that men are drawn to things that in our evolutionary past would have been a cue for fertility. And in one sense tallness is a negative cue—tall women reach puberty later and probably their secondary sexual characteristics develop somewhat later,” he says [New Scientist]. However, he stresses that scientists do not have a firm grasp on the genetics of height, so the real answer is undoubtedly more complex.

EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

And did they control for ethnicity in this research?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I can verify the findings in that I prefer shorter women.

(says the man with the wife who is 5 inches taller than he is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

There was also a study done a while back that found the lower your education, the more kids you have on average, so it's no surprise that short, fat, redecks, will make up the majority of the women.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
There was also a study done a while back that found the lower your education, the more kids you have on average, so it's no surprise that short, fat, redecks, will make up the majority of the women.
I just moved to the Gulf Coast and I can attest to this.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Ya but with fertility clinics anyone can have a baby now....so in the future we'll probably all be having babies that way.

Not this girl though! I've got birthing hips but the only intended use is for hanging on!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Ya but with fertility clinics anyone can have a baby now....so in the future we'll probably all be having babies that way.

Not this girl though! I've got birthing hips but the only intended use is for hanging on!
And don't forget blocking the TV when your SO is trying to ignore you.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
CasterTroy

Just sounds like the influx of mexican women over the last 20 years to me
Old 10-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star