Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default Cancer Free!!!

Okay, as some of you know, I'm sure that most of you don't care, I've been battling throat cancer for over two years now. I had one operation to remove four tumors from my neck, larynx, and tracheal area in Oct '07. Unfortunately, there was also a tumor just off of my jugular vein that the doctors were afraid to remove.

I've lost most of my family to cancer, my grandparents, parents, sister and my brother even had throat cancer which was successfully surgically removed. I had even previously had a tumor removed from my throat/neck when I was 16.

I have seen the results of chemo/radiation (I lost most of my hair at 16) and decided that I didn't want to do that again. Ever. Frankly, I'd rather die.

Well, there a cancer center down here that has a similar mindset to mine and that "allowed" me to make that choice and opt to take "mild" chemo treatments (still sucked) in an attempt to shrink the tumor enough that it left a safe distance from my "main vein" to operate. After a year or so, it obliged and they removed it. I went today for my final check up and they can't find any trace of cancer so... To think that my doctor in Mi looked me in the eye and told me that if I didn't do the radiation and chemo I would be dead in 6 months to a year. I told him that I would rather live 6 months somewhat healthy than 5 years radiation/chemo sick! I found the center, I found a job (so I thought), I left everything and I moved down here. I figured at the worst, at least I wouldn't have to deal with the Michigan Winters again before I died!

I'm sure that many of you will accuse me of "attention whoring" and being full of shit... Well my friends here know the story and that's really all that matters. Believe it or not there are some subjects that even I don't like to share... the main reason that I tell the story now is that a few of you knew about this previously and I wanted to give you all the "good" news. It looks like I was a bit premature in cashing in my 401k....

I want to openly thank those of you who pm'd me, called and emailed me with encouragement and affection. Believe me when I say that it was a great comfort! Again, as some of you know, my fiance' couldn't deal with the situation and I had to leave her and her daughter in Mi and face this alone. Ha, I bet this will somewhat explain my reckless spending and who gives a fuck attitude, huh?

Anyway, I guess it's time to rejoin the world and get back on track! I dug a pretty big hole but I'm sure that I can fill it right back up and start on building a new foundation!!! Thanks again to my friends!!!

BTW I'm not going to engage in any arguments with my detractors in this thread, I can't stop you girls and guys from posting but rest assured, I won't respond. Also, I'm not looking for pity or even congratulations, I just wanted to honestly tell anyone interested the whole story and basically close this chapter of my life. To be honest, I was going to send a few pms and call it good but I guess I'm just too big of an attention whore, right?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Here, you get a cookie.

Just don't let this stop your endless bantering and mindless posts, you finally gave amorok a mental equivalent to spar with.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Wow, I didn't know you were going through that. Congrats!! Must be a huge sigh of relief for you!
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:58 AM   #4
t-homo
WSB Champion

Damn man, I didn't have any clue. Glad to year you are good and good luck getting back on your feet.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

I vaguely recall you mentioning cancer sometime awhile back. glad you've gotten rid of it. I just pray it never comes back. I wish you well in the future and hope whatever higher power you believe in decides to let you enjoy good health from here on.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #6
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
Damn man, I didn't have any clue. Glad to year you are good and good luck getting back on your feet.
Same here, and that's good to hear.
Let's hope you stay clear.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
zer0t
Kneedragger

Moto: 2003 FLSTCI 2008 KTM RC8

fantastic news.
zer0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:05 AM   #8
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Great to hear!
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:01 AM   #9
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

Congrats man!

My Dad, went through chemo last year for Hodgskin's Disease and I have seen the full effects of chemo. And I am happy to say that he too is now cancer free!!

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #10
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Survivor you are. Congrats and enjoy life to the fullest.