Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #81
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
You keep repeating that mantra. If "adding more guns" isn't the answer to stop a rampaging gunman, how do you propose to stop him?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyhHzzaTV2M
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #82
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
The point is, adding more guns to a situation that already has one gun too many can't possibly be the answer....as a shoot out in front of the Empire State Building proves.
That's the great thing about freedom. You can do what you want and rely on police and I can carry my gun.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #83
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

I think I know what the issue is with KS's opinion. He is making an assumption that all CCW's have that 'hero' mentality and that's simply not the case.

For example: The theatre shooting that happened earlier this year - If I was there (and yes I would have been carrying) I would or would not have engaged based on a few questions:

-Am I close enough that I or my family are in immediate danger?
-Am I close enough to an exit to beat a retreat in a safe manner and ensure the safety of my family?
-Is the aggressor point his weapon in my direction at a range that will put me or my family at risk?

Those are the questions that every CCW should be asking themselves. If the answer to 1 or 3 is yes, then yes you engage without hesitation. If the answer to 1 or 3 is no (or 2 is yes), then you do not engage and move your family to safety.

I carry for the safety and security of myself and my family. Being put in a position to save others if absolutely necessary is situational and not priority 1.

For example: If I see a little girl getting raped - I intervene. If I see 2 grown men in a fight, not my problem. Everything in between is shades of grey. (Not my quote, but a nice point)
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #84
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
The point is, adding more guns to a situation that already has one gun too many can't possibly be the answer....as a shoot out in front of the Empire State Building proves.
Respectfully what that shoot out proves is that any society that works to eliminate personal responsibility are destined to be a victim pool of someone . (if not a madman then their government) there were 9 people shot because metropolitan police qualify once a year. Are seldom trained in how to back stop a shot and seldom have the time or space to to train with their weapons. One more legally armed reasonably trained citizen could have easily ended this with a single shot.
I would suggest that you have a close look at the Swiss model where everyone of military age has a fully automatic Rifle or or officer have handguns. Tell me about how this could happen there?
You appear to believe that anyone who accepts the responsibility of a CCL is somehow either ego driven and trying to compensate for some fault or Mad Vigilantes.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #85
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

carry daily
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #86
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
For example: If I see a little girl getting raped
Even intervening in that type of situation scares me with how lawsuit and crazy our laws can be, I am pretty much at a point where I am only going to draw if me or my family is in danger. Probably just yell at the guy and call the cops, if he comes at me, that's when I would draw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #87
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
The story Captain Morgan posted "proves" it can be the answer. The impression I get is what you really want, and are trying hard to avoid saying, is to get rid of the "one gun too many" so that "adding more guns" wouldn't be an issue in the first place. Good luck with that.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #88
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
I would suggest that you have a close look at the Swiss model where everyone of military age has a fully automatic Rifle or or officer have handguns. Tell me about how this could happen there?

If I remember correctly Israel has a system where not only is there mandatory gun ownership (along with military duty) but to a degree they are suppose (though not enforced) to maintain a pistol on them at all times from age 16. You'll notice how most violence in Israel is from a mortor lobbed into who knows what or a suicide bomber. I feel it is rare that you get a story of a gunman opening up in a cafe or market in Israel because they kept getting shot back at.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #89
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Even intervening in that type of situation scares me with how lawsuit and crazy our laws can be, I am pretty much at a point where I am only going to draw if me or my family is in danger. Probably just yell at the guy and call the cops, if he comes at me, that's when I would draw.
It truly is that simple for most of us, Even when an imminent threat is present you are likely to be subject to harassment by media and then in Civil Court the only place that the a CCL is even mildly protected in is in stand your ground states and even then Harassment through he civil courts remains possible.
None the less I continue to carry when ever it is legal to do so.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #90
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

so are you more likely to get accidentaly shot by some HERO mentality CCW or a bad guy?
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote