Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #21
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
If and when I ever get a CCW permit, the risks that my family or I will be stabbed to death will be pretty well mitigated while I'm carrying a firearm.
And what was the risk that you and your family would "be stabbed to death" to start with? Pretty low. Like going to the Neck-car race and being struck my lightning low....like leaving your home and being swallowed by a sinkhole low.

Quote:
Sure, there are no guarantees. But like you say, we all accept risks.
Is some Rambo want to be with a gun attempting to play the hero while I'm at the movies a risk I want to take? Probably not.

Quote:
If adding another gun to a situation is inherently bad, should we disarm all policemen? They're just as likely to miss in a chaotic situation, but even more likely to pull the trigger.
That's an interesting opinion....misguided....but interesting. I'd be curious to see what data you culled to support that statement. (And if it was the tugged out of your own ass type data, keep it. )

Also, if you'd like to be able to "miss in a chaotic situation....and be even more likely to pull the trigger"....why don't you go earn a badge and have at it?

Food for thought.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

on my person, when I am in a place I really shouldn't be or if carrying largish sums of cash. many folks want cash for car and bike sales. never know why they won't accept anything else.
otherwise, usually in the vehicle while traveling, at home there is usually one close but probably not on my hip while going to drop the kids off at the pool

for the record I have had guns pulled on me three times, never returning favor as I was quite sure the ones holding guns would not actually shoot. I say this because folks are so locked on the "you want to carry just to be a vigilante" statement. Not hardly. when I feel endangered, I will even the playing field anyway possible. if I don't truly feel endangered I am quite capable of controlling my emotions and finding a better way out besides a gun battle. it is a last resort not first.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Is some Rambo want to be with a gun attempting to play the hero while I'm at the movies a risk I want to take? Probably not.
This is the USA. You're well within your rights to lay down and die in a puddle of piss and popcorn. While I am well within my rights to lay in my piss with a semi-automatic. Once again, it's no guarantee of survival. But I'll take my urine-soaked handgun over your urine-filled popcorn bag.

Quote:
That's an interesting opinion....misguided....but interesting. I'd be curious to see what data you culled to support that statement. (And if it was the tugged out of your own ass type data, keep it. )
Which notion do you need hard data for? The idea that tear gas, screaming, and gun fire would affect the judgment and coordination of the average cop as much as it would affect the average civilian? Or the idea that, during any given confrontation with a criminal, a cop is more likely to be both armed and willing to open fire?

Quote:
Also, if you'd like to be able to "miss in a chaotic situation....and be even more likely to pull the trigger"....why don't you go earn a badge and have at it?
I don't want to be a cop. I don't want to shoot anyone, or pull the trigger. I don't even want to own a gun.* But I do want to be able to defend myself and, more importantly, my family should the need arise. Sitting and waiting for the cops to arrive during a crisis is not always an option, not if you want to survive.

You keep talking about "chances of this happening" and "chances of that happening" being "pretty low." But if I could somehow mitigate the chances of a family member being "swallowed by a sinkhole" I would do it.

* They're a pain in the ass to keep clean, cost a ton of money for ammo that I'd rather spend on other things, are a pain in the ass to keep clean, make your hands smell like CLP, are a pain in the ass to keep clean, and take time and effort to practice with. And they're a pain in the ass to keep clean.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I dont hardly ever carry, the few times that I have, have been on long bike trips by myself, or when carrying large sums of money or goods. Also when I used to drive a truck I did.

The one time in my life where I felt like I could have been justified in using one, it probably would have gotten me killed. I was carjacked in 2000, and had a pistol pointed at my face before I realized what happened. I just got out of the car and claimed it on insurance.

I will carry it if I have a reason to carry it, but thats about it
Old 08-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #25
Razor
Token

Moto: '07 Kawasaki Mean Streak Special Edition

I don't carry around the house but I have one or two out of the safe. I carry anytime I leave the house, whether in the truck or on my person. I don't want to shoot anyone or ever feel the need to draw it but I want that option if threatened. I like to think of it as being prepared instead of paranoid.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #26
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
All that's well and good, until it isn't. Then what? Accept your fate and eat a bullet like everyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgrIsuO5PLc

Capt isn't asking about quick draw holsters or body armor or anything like that. He's simply asking people who do carry, to share some of their experiences. You guys are acting like it's something well beyond this... I too, have never felt 'unsafe' when out and about... I'm pretty sure everyone does for the most part, until something happens.
Too bad she wasnt carrying.

On another note. Theres black people on this forum?

Last edited by Rangerscott; 08-07-2012 at 12:53 AM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #27
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I find that I am carrying more these days. Nearly everywhere that I am legally allowed to. It is rare to find me in VT or NH without a revolver in my pocket. Around the house it is a bit different there are within easy reach in most place in my home a side arm or long gun in "GO" mode
Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #28
Krypt Keeper
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR1100XX, Daytona 600

I carry more often than not. On my bike, in my car, truck ect, I am normally carrying. I am not some joe schmo with a new gun and a permit. I am an avid shooter and practice often in various ways. I practice shooting everything from handguns (wheel and semi), bows, blackpowder rifles and handguns, to shooting skeet.

For anyone who asks why do you need a gun. Will be happy to introduce you to a co-worker who was shot 4 times walking to his girlfriends house just down the road. 3 guys had just got done robbing a guy in his house and pistol whipping him when they ran outside and saw him on the sidewalk and thought it would be cool to rob him also. Gun to his head and told they were going to kill him and to empty his pockets. He drew his weapon killing 1 and seriously wounding the another.

or a riding buddy who was boxed in by two trucks on a backroad with his wife and kids in the car. The guys got out and pretty sure they didn't want directions. He floored his car and jumped a ditch to escape thankfully.

Shit happens fast. For people who wish not to carry.. good for you..

As for me carrying, you will never know I am carrying so you go on without a thought about it.
Krypt Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #29
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Too bad she wasnt carrying.

On another note. Theres black people on this forum?
We have one token black guy
I think 2 Jewish guys
One Asian
Big strong alpha woman
One gay guy

We are right on track to making a PG-13 action film.
Unfortunately for EpyonXero, rules are rules.
Black guy gets eaten first

Might want to rethink that gun stance of yours
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg the-deep-blue-sea.jpeg (28.2 KB, 85 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #30
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
We have one token black guy
I think 2 Jewish guys
One Asian
Big strong alpha woman
One gay guy

We are right on track to making a PG-13 action film.
Unfortunately for EpyonXero, rules are rules.
Black guy gets eaten first

Might want to rethink that gun stance of yours
I don't care how black he is, I'm playing Morgan Freeman's role.

It's in my contract.

JC