Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Too bad they are southern only, right?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #22
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

I had great experiences with AT&T until this past year when it all went to crap. Dropped calls where I previously had no problems, random voicemails showing up with no call (like Homeslice mentioned), crappy coverage, etc. I'm getting close to the point where I'll pony up for a personal non-iphone, just to get away from AT&T. We'll see what happens with Verizon.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

The Evo is ACTIVE!

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
The Evo is ACTIVE!
want to 2 way video chat? j/k
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #25
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
want to 2 way video chat? j/k
Depends what you're wearing.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #26
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Sprint FTW

I have been with Sprint for like 17yrs. I'm talking just after digital came out.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #27
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Gee, so people spread all over the country have varying opinions on cell phone providers. Whoda thunk it?! Cellular coverage varies as much as the weather from location to location in the US.

In South FL a few years ago, if you had Nextel your radio worked about 30% of the time and your phone would frequently drop calls (if you could get through) because the network was overburdened. Rather than investing money in the aging iDEN network, Nextel cut down the resolution of your digitized voice by 50%. That made everybody sound robotic and if your parent's called, it was sometimes hard to tell which of them was on the other end of the phone.

AT&T had much better coverage down there, but has 0 coverage in the mountains of VA and NC. Verizon is better, but when my buddy crashed and broke his back, it was the US Cellular phone of a passing mailman that alerted emergency services. AT&T and Verizon were both useless.

One thing that really sold me on AT&T was international roaming. I've used my phone in Sweden and Denmark, China, Japan, Taiwan, and Mexico without fail. Maybe Verizon has improved their international roaming capabilities, but with CDMA as their core technology it was just fundamentally limited.

Like anything, based on your location and your usage needs YMMV.

Last edited by fasternyou929; 12-09-2010 at 04:47 PM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Gee, so people spread all over the country have varying opinions on cell phone providers. Whoda thunk it?! Cellular coverage varies as much as the weather from location to location in the US.

In South FL a few years ago, if you had Nextel your radio worked about 30% of the time and your phone would frequently drop calls (if you could get through) because the network was overburdened. Rather than investing money in the aging iDEN network, Nextel cut down the resolution of your digitized voice by 50%. That made everybody sound robotic and if your parent's called, it was sometimes hard to tell which of them was on the other end of the phone.

AT&T had much better coverage down there, but has 0 coverage in the mountains of VA and NC. Verizon is better, but when my buddy crashed and broke his back, it was the US Cellular phone of a passing mailman that alerted emergency services. AT&T and Verizon were both useless.

One thing that really sold me on AT&T was international roaming. I've used my phone in Sweden and Denmark, China, Japan, Taiwan, and Mexico without fail. Maybe Verizon has improved their international roaming capabilities, but with CDMA as their core technology it was just fundamentally limited.

Like anything, based on your location and your usage needs YMMV.
That's true, T-mobile works almost everywhere with a signal overseas... Not exactly a major selling point for me anymore though. You are definitely right about region playing a factor though.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #29
t-homo
WSB Champion

US Cellular around here is absolute garbage. I do like ATT. Probably going to stick with them when my contract comes up. Although there is a 75% chance my job will be putting me on their phone plan with an iPhone.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #30
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Sprint sucks here unless you're in a huge city. I have verizon know (previous cellular one, then alltel) and dont really have complaints with cellular coverage. Wish data coverage was better, but it's better than when alltel was around. I haven't had anyone complaints on my end with voice cutouts or static on calls. My brother has a blackberry with ATT and every time he calls me, he cuts in and out or there's some type of static.

Got a guy I work with that has T-mobile and he seems to have coverage when I don't. I've never heard him complain about service and they send him letters every year for a free phone.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote