Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #21
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Wow, I completely forgot about this thread. So..... I turned the job down. Just was a little uneasy about how new and small the dealership was. Me and my mom clashed about it a bit, but she was worried about slow times. So I waited a bit, and I'm glad I did. But now I'm in a perdiciment because I got 2 job offers within 2 days.

The first job is a real estate management position. I'd be in control of 57 properties currently... with the plan to go larger scale down the road with rental properties in florida, and large scale apartment complexes. It's an independant position, so I'd have my own office in my own building, calling the shots. Pay right off the bat is fanfuckingtastic, especially for a 22 yr old. Medical insurance and such. The best part is this job is guarenteed, and the big boss is my dad's best friend, who I consider my mentor.

The second job is part of my dream job. Its an agent position at one of the premeir talent agencies in ohio. Initial thoughts were I'd have to move to Cinci, but I just found out its the Columbus agent thats leaving. Perks include company phone, company laptop, my own office, free screening to every movie before it comes out to the general public, free access to concerts and shows, and rich clients that will give you cool shit. Trips to NY and LA for movie red carpet movie premeirs. And you get to work with alot of powerful famous people. Office hours are only 10:30-5, but you have to be on call at all times. The only problem is starting pay sucks until you become established with a client list. The big boss figured only $11-12 a hour the first year, which completely blows.

So do I take the solid deal with the big bucks? Or do I take the dream job with all the perks, and the money later on???
Take the job that's going to benefit you most in the long run... at 22 you should be building your resume... go for the job that matches what you want to do for the rest of your life (or at least think you want to do)... If it's neither of those, then go for the job that offers the best experience/advancement opportunities to benefit your resume when you go for your dream job...

Just based on life experience your 'dream job' sounds like Cutco knives and Kirby vacuums on the surface... Easy to get in, hard to make work, and huge turnover/burnout factor. That said, some people out there make ridiculous money doing those things, so it can be done. Oh, and if you're making $11-12/hr... You probably won't be working very closely with a ton of rich and powerful people... at least not in any capacity that will benefit you.

However, maybe you'll get to do some casting... as in casting couching...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #22
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
I have been in your "predicament" twice in the last 6 months. Or maybe it was a little different. Did they both actually offer the job or are you still in the interviewing process that just seems promising?
Yea, the first is a solid offer. The other didnt have a money offer per se, but he wants me in next tuesday, wednesday, thursday for casting for the new jack hanna commercials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Take the job that's going to benefit you most in the long run... at 22 you should be building your resume... go for the job that matches what you want to do for the rest of your life (or at least think you want to do)... If it's neither of those, then go for the job that offers the best experience/advancement opportunities to benefit your resume when you go for your dream job...

Just based on life experience your 'dream job' sounds like Cutco knives and Kirby vacuums on the surface... Easy to get in, hard to make work, and huge turnover/burnout factor. That said, some people out there make ridiculous money doing those things, so it can be done. Oh, and if you're making $11-12/hr... You probably won't be working very closely with a ton of rich and powerful people... at least not in any capacity that will benefit you.

However, maybe you'll get to do some casting... as in casting couching...
I would say quite opposite of that industry. Ungodly hard to get into, hard to gain respect, but easy once you get it down. There is a HUGE burnout factor in LA, i dont think so much around here. Its alot more laid back. That money is based on taking over and possibly losing the Columbus client list that is used to the previous girl. He was truthful that you have to be great at what you do to cash in. His office does reresent famous actors from LA. The new Cooney movie that was shot in Oxford Ohio, used his agency to read Ryan Gosling and Paul Giamotti for the movie. So yes, you get paid off of some famous people.

casting couching....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #23
AquaPython
put it THIS way

then don't wait, take the job you got the offer on, and then think about, should you get the other offer, then and only then, which should you take? If you need to, be ready to say "sorry tough shit" to the first one. your dad's BFF will understand.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Your dad's friend will always be around. Take the other job.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #25
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i have two relatives in property management. large big money at one of them and very large grandious money at the other........

take the agent job you want. the money may not be there right now but you will grow in the position and you won't feel like someone's b#$ch later.

always choose something you're interested in over something that pays better. if you like it, and you're good at it, the money will come.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #26
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Will the 2nd job be commissioned based on top of the hourly?

Will you be managing local talent as well? And have you seen some of the portfolios of the girls you will be representing as well as a local client list?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #27
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Will the 2nd job be commissioned based on top of the hourly?

Will you be managing local talent as well? And have you seen some of the portfolios of the girls you will be representing as well as a local client list?
All I know right now is it is AFTRA union. You would make 10% off of every deal. Not sure if/what base pay would be. All he said is he would "estimate" i would be about 10-11 an hour the first year. Not shit considering I'm looking at almost 30 an hour with the other.

Yes I will be managing local talent, and working to book for local corporations. I have not seen any of the talent as I have not met the Columbus agent yet, but I would be completely taking over the client list of said Columbus agent. Sure, some of the talent might bolt to another agency, but my client list wouldnt be empty
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #28
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Go with your gut. The initial gut feeling.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #29
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post

Yes I will be managing local talent, and working to book for local corporations. I have not seen any of the talent as I have not met the Columbus agent yet, but I would be completely taking over the client list of said Columbus agent. Sure, some of the talent might bolt to another agency, but my client list wouldnt be empty
Models would usually be signed with a few agencies so you should be good there, no reason for them to bolt.

Also ask if they expect you to push the models or new talent into getting new pics taken and if they have to use the agency's photographer. There are a lot of agencies that are scams out there and that is how they make their money. They sell portofolio services or classes but really don't get them any jobs. Is there a website that you can check out the girls? I would look at what models you have to work with and see if their pics look professional.

Can you live off that hourly rate he quoted? If there is no base pay and its all commissioned based then you have to figure in that there may be times when you don't get paid. If you can deal with that then go with what you think will make you happier.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote