Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-13-2010, 09:29 AM   #21
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
15 feet?
12 feet. The other 3 feet are "just in case".
Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #22
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
12 feet. The other 3 feet are "just in case".
We tested it with a couple of written-off monitors. Roughly 10 feet (3 metres), onto a concrete floor, landing on the bottom of the box.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #23
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Sometimes the courier hubs are set up to fail. When you put a loading conveyor 15 feet up in the air, with no side rails on it, shit is going to fall off. As the service managed for a computer manufacturer I was constantly screwed over by couriers who would destroy my clients' equipment, then play dumb. It didn't help that the clients wouldn't put any insurance on the stuff that they were shipping back for repair either, which meant the default (usually about $50.00) was all that they'd get for a $2K computer.

The vast majority of out-of-box failures we had for monitors, was a broken neck on the CRT. Do you know how far something has to fall in order to break that?
I'd venture to say it probably had less to do with a drop and more to do with heavy shit piled on top of it.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #24
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I use USPS mostly 100% of the time.
Fuck usps. I used to use them because they were fairly reliable and fast. Then the one time I am sending somethign remotely expensive, Bose speakers, the buyers sends me a prompt email asking some odd qustions. She says, wait until my husand takes some pictures, then we can work this out. Pictures come back.... fucking box is crumped to HALF of its size, accordian style, with a rip running diagnally from bottom to top. No fall would have done this, this was smashed. Called usps asking for a claim. She said did you get insurance? I said i though packages were insured up to $200??? She said, you have to upgrade to prioroty mailing. I said then you need to change your signs, because they are misleading. So I had to take the product back for a full refund, and only sell it for half of what I previously got. Loss of about $130....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #25
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I'd venture to say it probably had less to do with a drop and more to do with heavy shit piled on top of it.
You'd have to completely smash a CRT monitor with a heavy weight, to break the neck of the tube. If you drop it from a sufficient height it can be snapped off, with no apparent damage to the case. We boxed our shit well.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #26
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

That.

See, the geniuses that designed the sorting facilities have belts moving along 45 feet off the ground. If boxes jam up on the belt, your package tumbles three stories onto the floor (and if it lands flat, the box shows little or no damage).

The box is then casually scooped up, put back on another belt, and then sent to you...where it delivered complete destroyed, and then they claim it's your fault for not packing it correctly/insuring it enough/or whatever...in flagrant disregard for interstate trucking laws that actually make them ENTIRELY responsible, no matter what.

Problem is, you need to sue them to get them to respect that law.

They're all scum.