Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 02-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
How can a cop give you a reckless driving ticket without seeinig the act or without a witness?
because they can
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #22
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
How can a cop give you a reckless driving ticket without seeinig the act or without a witness?
The law in VA is written in a way that makes reckless driving pretty easy for cops to abuse. 80mph is an automatic reckless driving, even if you're going with the flow of traffic on the interstate.

It's also written loose enough cops can use it in lieu of "driving too fast for conditions" or "failure to maintain control of your vehicle".
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #23
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Can they still give out those 3k dollar speeding tickets?
Old 02-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #24
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

I've heard of the Va 'police state' thing many times, though I've been lucky that my only personal experience with it has been seeing troopers with someone pulled over every 3 miles along I-81. Fuck that state & its abuse of power.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #25
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
I've heard of the Va 'police state' thing many times, though I've been lucky that my only personal experience with it has been seeing troopers with someone pulled over every 3 miles along I-81. Fuck that state & its abuse of power.
I have heard all the stories down there. whenever we would plan a trip to vir they would always say to watch out for the popo once you got into va.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #26
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Man that guy has hated me since like 2001 after I posted a local (2 blocks from me) story about an officer who died in the high-speed pursuit of a truck that had backed into him. He was doing 80, though my neighborhood, in the rain, on extremely slick streets, driving an old Jeep Cherokee (their patrol unit at the time) when he blew a stop sign and was T-Boned by his back-up. His jeep ended up in someone's yard after shearing through a natural gas main. I took the stance that it was not worth killing me while I was out walking my dogs to chase the asshole down. That's why God invented Radios and License Plates. Anyway, it got very ugly, they talked a lot of shit about me in the mod forum and so on.

Interestingly, in 2007, he offered to shack me up and help me ship a firearm back to Tx since everyone in the world knew I was carrying it at that point. (My idiotic mistake), so he's not a total asshole. You know, I bag on cops a lot for abuse of power and such because I feel its an extremely important issue...but I don't know how anyone could do the job for a significant amount of time and not become jaded and slightly militant. His stance on the issues was somewhat similar to Rider's on this forum, except Rider can take a joke better and Lonestar has the badge and authority to allows those view to influence other people's lives.

I have no idea why that ended up being such a long post.
Because it's true.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #27
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I try my damndest to not drive or ride through that state. No freakin' way.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote