Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Make violent criminals WORK. Three hots and a cot is not sufficient punishment. Hard, HARD labor... you know, all those jobs us lazy Americans don't want to do. Generate some revenue to cover the cost of incarceration AND employ more guards to oversee the work (keep the peace). Win, fucking win.

Instead, we have two sides... the 'kill em all' and the 'they deserve cable TV' factions with the loudest voices.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again... Make violent criminals WORK. Three hots and a cot is not sufficient punishment. Hard, HARD labor... you know, all those jobs us lazy Americans don't want to do. Generate some revenue to cover the cost of incarceration AND employ more guards to oversee the work (keep the peace). Win, fucking win.

Instead, we have two sides... the 'kill em all' and the 'they deserve cable TV' factions with the loudest voices.
This is perhaps the most ridiculous and wasteful thing about our prison system. They do little to actively "rehabilitate" these criminals. They have the option to sit and rot for 10 years, learn all kinds of fun new crime techniques, and then be released back to the streets.

Put them to work, like you said, doing less than desirable jobs. I would even be in favor of allowing them to work funds into a savings account to be accessible once they're released, there is no benefit to society to release criminals with absolutely no money and a felony record. Clean the highways, clean the animal shelters, clean the rivers...there's a thousand things they could be doing to help society, generate revenue and rebuild their "character" and gain a sense of self-worth.

People who presumably won't ever get out of prison can work toward credits to buy smokes, get extra rec time and so on and so forth.

Worried about escape? Put a taser bracelet on them that goes off once they get so many feet away from a base beacon. Simple.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
This is perhaps the most ridiculous and wasteful thing about our prison system. They do little to actively "rehabilitate" these criminals. They have the option to sit and rot for 10 years, learn all kinds of fun new crime techniques, and then be released back to the streets.

Put them to work, like you said, doing less than desirable jobs. I would even be in favor of allowing them to work funds into a savings account to be accessible once they're released, there is no benefit to society to release criminals with absolutely no money and a felony record. Clean the highways, clean the animal shelters, clean the rivers...there's a thousand things they could be doing to help society, generate revenue and rebuild their "character" and gain a sense of self-worth.
And maybe even learn a skill they can put to use when they get out... or in the LEAST develop a work ethic. I mean, that's why many criminals turn to crime right? To try to bypass the 9-5 grind...

Quote:
People who presumably won't ever get out of prison can work toward credits to buy smokes, get extra rec time and so on and so forth.
Or earn wages that go to victims... or the inmate's family...

Quote:
Worried about escape? Put a taser bracelet on them that goes off once they get so many feet away from a base beacon. Simple.
Very good.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Now those are ideas I can agree with.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Just gotta be sure to call them something besides labor camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Gulags?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #17
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
And maybe even learn a skill they can put to use when they get out... or in the LEAST develop a work ethic. I mean, that's why many criminals turn to crime right? To try to bypass the 9-5 grind...
Right on. We all know a kid that you know is going to grow up to be a criminal. Parents beat them, uncle molests them, no guidance, no role models, drug/alcohol use at a very young age, gang affiliation, etc. etc. etc.

Once these kids inevitably grow up and commit a crime we as a society should then step in and say "Hey, you fucked up, we're going to teach you how to be responsible for your mistake." And while they're doing so we're going to offer you a chance at a new start. Learn a trade, develop a work ethic, become socialized, and so on and so forth. Yes, the prison is still a punishment and is in no way like a trip to Six Flags...but they get something out of it besides learning how to be a more efficient criminal.

Quote:
Or earn wages that go to victims... or the inmate's family...
That's a great idea. We're not talking about large sums of money here because the states obviously can not afford that. But enough so that yes, they are actually working for something.

Quote:
Very good.
Yea, plus it would make for funny videos when people do try to run off. "I'm free, I'm free....ZAAAAAPPPPP"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Well you just have to use common sense and be humane here. When its hot they get a shit ton of cold water, you don't work them for 16 hours a day. Common sense shit about how we treat even the lowest members of our society.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
Bluestreak
What?

Moto: Dirt

Putting criminals to work = WIN!

The taser idea is good, but have you ever see the movie Life with Eddie Murphy? Gun line...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Gulags?
That may work as more and more people grow ignorant of the terms significance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote