Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you prefer 1 or 2 stories?
1 story 18 42.86%
2 story 24 57.14%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #51
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I grew up in a 1 story rancher with a finished basement. It was great! I now live in a 3 story town house and I hate it. The laundry room is on the first floor and the bed rooms are on the 3rd. I thought it would give me "calves of steel" when I got it from all the stair climbing but now I just find ways to not have to keep going up and down the stairs.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:08 AM   #52
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

If you pick the correct house, you get all the benefits of a single level in a three level house.

The house I purchased is a two story "dutch" style. The front entrance is two porch steps and a single step into the living room. That level gives us the living room, a small room to the left, a dining room, a nice kitchen/pantry, a laundry room with 1/2 bath , a full bath with walk in shower ( 3" step height to get in ) and a 12' x 20' addition on the back. The stairs to the basement are at the sidedoor/kitchen.

The driveway goes around to the back and you have a walk in basement

The basement is the full length/width of the house from the front porch to the end of the addition. The top floor has three bedrooms and a full bathroom.

I can stay at this house until I die from old age if I want. ( also known as a "death house" ) I can live on the first floor and when I need to get into the basement, it's just a walk down the driveway to the entrance.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #53
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr

Ehh, I'm torn. Growing up in the northeast, 1 story houses were always called "ranches" and nobody liked them as they were basically built like a trailer with a foundation, way more length than depth, basically 1 long hallway with doors. So when I moved back up the north, I definitely prefer a 2 story, the floorplans are usually better. Plus I've always grown up in 2 stories, so I'm just partial to them. The 1 stories are getting better up there though as time goes on, builders are getting more creative.

But living in south FL for the past 4 years has shown me that 1 story houses don't need to have that long hallway feel. They build 1 story houses that have open floorplans and really are very nice. And you don't get a yard no matter what your house looks like down here (unless its older).

I would imagine in your loc. (Vegas, as long as thats real), a 1 story would have a greater resale value as it can appeal to a larger market (yong families who just want the conveniance of a 1 story, and older people who can't handle the stairs). And I know they build houses like they do in SoFla so it won't be a boring, 1 hallway floorplan.
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #54
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
All of a sudden these one car garages are springing up everywhere! That i don't understand since everyone drives here so i guess its musical cars then?
That's because it was a big growth market, so developers were throwing up the cheapest shit they could build as fast as they could build it... It was one more way to sell people on the idea of owning a home for less than they were paying in rent. With the housing market in the toilet, I'd avoid those like the plague.

If your major concern is resale, the key things are going to be location and square footage- and location includes everything from neighborhood schools to how close the house is to adjacent lots. As you can see from the responses there's no universal preference for one floor plan over the other, so I wouldn't really factor it in to that decision. If the area is in demand, it'll attract somebody who wants that layout.

That said, personally I prefer a single-story. Fuck stairs. If you're in someplace like Honolulu or San Francisco where you can't get square footage on the ground, that's one thing, but LV is just sprawling out into desert in every direction.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #55
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
2-story here. I just like the "looks" of old Colonials, Victorians, and Southern style stuff.........Most ranches don't have any style when seen from the outside, IMO.
U finally bought a house? Or still renting?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote