Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R
Default Dog Seizures?

One of my dogs was recently diagnosed with a heart disorder. She was put on fortekor which is supposed to help with the heart issues.

In the past month she has had 3 seizures.

It's very scary to watch your dog have a seizure when you've never seen it happen before. Each time I thought she was going to die right there in my arms. It was awful.

Anyone else have any experience with a dog having a seizure?

She's going back to the vet next week. Seizures aren't a side effect of her medication but I think it's a bit odd that she's started having them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3565.JPG (73.2 KB, 49 views)
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

When I was a kid we had a Jack Russel that had epilepsy. She lived a full happy life though. No medication and I only witnessed her have 2 seizures ever.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

if I recall my vet tech days correctly, small dogs can be very prone to seizures and the shitzu, like several other breeds (if thats what she is), are very inclined.

While it may not be a listed side effect, animals, like people all react differently and it could be an adverse reaction. If you havent already contacted your vet, I wouldnt reccommend waiting, I would get her in as soon as possible for a check up. If its the meds, it could cause long term harm.

It could also be an allergy to something else that the meds could be causing to flare.

Sorry to be negative, I know it is scary and a horrible experience to go through, best of luck and keep us posted!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

I was a Vet Tech for about 4.5 years... I have seen lot's of things I wouldn't want to see again... I always hated watching animals have seizures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
When I was a kid we had a Jack Russel that had epilepsy. She lived a full happy life though. No medication and I only witnessed her have 2 seizures ever.
Epilepsy is decently common with JR's.
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Cute doggie Kell. I hope they figure that out.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky3623 View Post
Epilepsy is decently common with JR's.
Yep, several breeds are more likely to get it, and it can come on at any age. I had a Beagle that had them fairly often. She'd go through periods of high and low numbers of seizures in a given time... it was never very consistent.

The best thing I found to do it be there for them when it passes. They're confused and aren't sure what happened... my dog would act like she'd just done something wrong when she came out of them. Our vet suggested not trying to hold her legs, even if she started digging into the carpet (unless she was moving toward the table or top of the stairs, of course) because it can spook them. Instead, he said to pet their back/side/head, and sit down with them.

Sully (current dog) has had two, both after extreme physical exhertion (boy does NOT know when to get out of the water).

They're terrifying, but my Beagle lived with them for ~9 years without any issues caused by them.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I had a German Shepherd w/Epilepsy.... eventually we had to put him on pheonbarbital (I can say for sure I didn't spell that right but I don't feel like looking it up). We were warned it may shorten his life but it reduced his siezures by 90%+

We had him for 13 years.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I had a German Shepherd w/Epilepsy.... eventually we had to put him on pheonbarbital (I can say for sure I didn't spell that right but I don't feel like looking it up). We were warned it may shorten his life but it reduced his siezures by 90%+

We had him for 13 years.

Close... phenobarbital

That was the drug of choice for seizures when I was working at the vet clinic. Seemed to do a pretty good job of managing them.
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky3623 View Post
Close... phenobarbital

That was the drug of choice for seizures when I was working at the vet clinic. Seemed to do a pretty good job of managing them.
damn, I didn't mean to throw that stupid "N" in there either

damn keyboard on this tiny laptop

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Sully (current dog) has had two, both after extreme physical exhertion (boy does NOT know when to get out of the water).
All three have come after physical exertion and oddly enough have happened in the same room.

I just stroke her back while she's going through it and then once she's out of it I stay there with her and keep petting her. She tries to get up and walk but is so discombobulated that she falls over and has no real control over her legs.

Scary stuff!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote