Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-18-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja
Default Time travel via subway

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayof...ef=mpstoryview

(see link for pics and video)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The Great Depression is in full swing. Gangster Al Capone is sentenced to 11 years behind bars for tax evasion. Dick Tracy debuts in the comics. The George Washington Bridge opens.

The old subway cars have concrete floors, overhead fans and open windows.

The year is 1931. And New Yorkers are stepping onto the brand new R-1 model subway car, built by the American Car & Foundry factory in Berwick, Pennsylvania.

Fast-forward 77 years. New Yorkers and tourists are once again boarding these 84,000-pound, 60-foot-long behemoths constructed of riveted steel, with some featuring wicker seats, dangling emergency brake cords, incandescent light bulbs, big exposed overhead fans, and open windows.

"I really thought I was getting on the wrong train until the conductor told me it's going to 23rd [Street], exactly where I'm going,'' said Joseph Salmond, who had never seen a subway car quite this old. "It was like, what's that movie, 'Back to the Future'?" Video Watch the ride back in time ยป

A legendary workhorse of the transit system until the model was put out to pasture in 1977, the R-1 is temporarily back in action as part of New York City Transit's holiday "Nostalgia Train'' on Sundays in December.

The R-1 and other rehabilitated subway cars from the 1930s to the 1970s are making the rounds from Manhattan's Lower East Side to the borough of Queens along the "V" line.

Passengers love to ride on this special occasion, even though the ride is bumpier and noisier than they have grown accustomed to on today's gleaming stainless steel subways.

"Absolutely not,'' says Chuck Falkowitz, who remembers the R-1 from his childhood in the 1950s. He prefers today's cleaner seats, improved lighting, heating and air conditioning. "But it is fun to ride them,'' Falkowitz says. "Once a year's more than enough''

Bill Wall, a New York City Transit service supervisor working aboard the R-1 on a recent Sunday, said the train has a special effect on riders and subway employees alike.

"You come on a New York City subway, people are there, they read their papers, they're going about their business," he said. "On this train, you see people smiling and talking to one another and saying, 'Oh, God, this is a great thing,' '' said Wall, proudly calling it "transportainment."

Built like a battleship with steel body and concrete floors, the R-1 was simple and reliable. State of the art in its day, each car cost just under $40,000, according to Wall. Today's subway cars run the city about $1.5 million apiece.

In the 1930s, the R-1's ceiling fans were a major improvement over relying solely on the motion of the train and open windows to move air around.

But as time went on, people thought, ''Overhead fans that close to people's heads -- that may not be such a great idea,'' Wall said. In the 1940s, the system began switching to enclosed fans. Later, cooling and heating systems became the norm, which is why today's subway cars have lower ceilings.

The R-1s were also the first trains in New York to have four sets of doors on the sides for rapid loading and unloading, a big boost to New York City subways' ability to accommodate the growing post-World War I population.

With the R-1 in mind, Billy Strayhorn composed his 1939 classic tune, "Take the A Train."

Given its historical legacy, what's an R-1 worth now? "It's what you make it to be in terms of worth," Wall said. "Some people look at it and say it's an old train worth whatever the scrap value is. Some people will look at it and say it's an heirloom."

"You really can't even put a price on something like this," he says. To put things into perspective: In the 1970s the R-1s were being sold to scrap dealers for less than $1,000 each.

If you think you'll get one for that price today, someone in Brooklyn has a bridge to sell you.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

The MTA is doing all that while commuters ar elooking at a 23%increase in fares and a decrease in service

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Method
Canyon Carver

Moto: MTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
The MTA is doing all that while commuters ar elooking at a 23%increase in fares and a decrease in service

Tom
Yup - They're talking about bumping it up from 2$ to 2.50, with a decrease in the number of trains.

Irritating on both fronts.
Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
Yup - They're talking about bumping it up from 2$ to 2.50, with a decrease in the number of trains.

Irritating on both fronts.
I am more worried about some of the tolls. I am commuting north into the bronx now for my side jobs, so I can do without them raising bridge tolls. But pattersons talking about some more fees withthe DMV for registration based on weight and other stuff.

Looks like theyre going to fuck us every which way due to their mismanagement.

Tom
Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

I just got back from NYC on Tuesday... we took the subway everywhere... The unlimited day pass is great if you are going to be buzzing around the city... fuck cabs...

Cost the wife and I $15 total to ride the subway all damn day...
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Method
Canyon Carver

Quote:
I am more worried about some of the tolls. I am commuting north into the bronx now for my side jobs, so I can do without them raising bridge tolls. But pattersons talking about some more fees withthe DMV for registration based on weight and other stuff.

Looks like theyre going to fuck us every which way due to their mismanagement.

Tom
It just adds to the list of reasons why we're looking to move out of the city when our lease ends in May.

Not sure where we're going yet - Maybe Portland Or, or Dallas TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky3623 View Post
I just got back from NYC on Tuesday... we took the subway everywhere... The unlimited day pass is great if you are going to be buzzing around the city... fuck cabs...

Cost the wife and I $15 total to ride the subway all damn day...
The subway is usually faster anyway if you know where you're going. Cabs are a pain in the ass and wind up making you sit in traffic, especially if you have to go cross-town.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method View Post
It just adds to the list of reasons why we're looking to move out of the city when our lease ends in May.

Not sure where we're going yet - Maybe Portland Or, or Dallas TX.

The subway is usually faster anyway if you know where you're going. Cabs are a pain in the ass and wind up making you sit in traffic, especially if you have to go cross-town.
I am considering more and more moving north of the city now. Things are starting to take off with the side job now and we should be bale to walk into another big construction job in westchester in 2013. Taxes up there are as high as LI but several parts of LI are rapidly going to shit, and I wont have to pay tools as much going over the damn bridges.

Tom
Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

thats damn cool, me and the gf are planning to go to nyc this weekend. ill have to try and push for sunday now
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
Method
Canyon Carver

Quote:
I am considering more and more moving north of the city now. Things are starting to take off with the side job now and we should be bale to walk into another big construction job in westchester in 2013. Taxes up there are as high as LI but several parts of LI are rapidly going to shit, and I wont have to pay tools as much going over the damn bridges.

Tom
That's not a bad idea - are you looking at Westchester? Or farther north up into the Rockland area?

Something also to remember is that if you're not in Yonkers, you no longer have to pay City income tax if you're in Westchester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
thats damn cool, me and the gf are planning to go to nyc this weekend. ill have to try and push for sunday now
I live right in midtown so let me know if you need any recommendations.