Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-31-2009, 10:31 AM   #1
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville
Default Medical bills and funeral costs.

Last edited by Triple; 04-22-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

If there is nothing left to their estate I assume the hospital would just write it off.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

hospitals and other debt holders could come after an estate or spouse to pay medical and other bills

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

the cost of caskets are outragous.

the first time I was involved in picking one out was for my dad. we walked in to look at the different caskets and I seen the prices and like usual used my outside voice instead of my inner voice and said, where's the scratch and dent section. my brothers weren't too happy with me about that.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
the cost of caskets are outragous.

the first time I was involved in picking one out was for my dad. we walked in to look at the different caskets and I seen the prices and like usual used my outside voice instead of my inner voice and said, where's the scratch and dent section. my brothers weren't too happy with me about that.

My granddad had plenty of money but he made his wishes known that he only wanted a pine box. But of course even that one was like $10K iirc
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

My granddad had plenty of money but he made his wishes known that he only wanted a pine box. But of course even that one was like $10K iirc
the one we got was cheaper than that. some states you can get away with a lot less than others. in MO. the last I knew if your casket didn't have a seal you had to be in a vault so it's easier to just get a sealed casket or die in a state that don't need a vault or sealed casket.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Librarian
Helmets Optional

Moto: '85 K100 and a DL650AK9

seen the cost of pine lately? I'm going with cardboard. Something that says Hotpoint on the side, since that's where I hope to end up.

What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
-- Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes)
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I'm reading up on home burials. In 45 US states (Georgia included), families have almost total control over the body if they bury it on their own property, where zoning permits. Meaning, you don't have to embalm and in some places you don't even need a casket. Simple pine caskets are allowed almost anywhere.
Why not cremation? No box to buy, no plot of land to bury in, and I'm sure you have some kind of urn at home that you could use. My dog was $100 to cremate. Now I know a human would be much more but still it's probably the cheapest option.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
shmike
Follower

I love reading Triple's threads.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

The estate stands good for any and all bills. When the estate is gone the rest is written off. Social security will give a check to the wife or child for about $240 or so.

I Burried my mother when I was 19 and had to do some growing up during the whole thing. Funerals are expensive. I hope for your sake there was some life insurance, the hospital can't take that cause it would be paid to wife or kids of the person passed.

Always always always keep enough insurance to at least bury yourself so you don't burden your loved ones.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote