Old 06-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr
Default iPhone'rs fyi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_gadg/ytech_gadg_tc2354
AT&T phases out unlimited data plans
1 hr 22 mins ago

AT&T just did away with its all-you-can-eat smartphone data plans — bad news for those who stream video on their iPhones all day, but potentially good news for the rest of us, given that the cheapest of the new capped plans goes for just $15 (rather than $30) a month. Also: AT&T is finally ready to offer iPhone tethering.

First, a little background. Up until now, AT&T was charging all of its smartphone customers — including iPhone users — $30 a month for unlimited data usage. Starting Monday, June 7, the unlimited data option will be going away for new subscribers, to be replaced by two cheaper, capped plans. (If you're currently on an unlimited AT&T smartphone data plan, you don't have to switch to the new, capped options, which are required for new subscribers only. But AT&T says you can opt to make the switch without extending your contract.)

DataPro: Heavy smartphone users will probably opt for this $25-a-month plan, which offers up to 2GB of data a month at a $5 savings over the current unlimited plan. If you go over your 2GB monthly allotment, AT&T will charge you $10 for an additional gigabyte. No, overage charges are never fun, but it's certainly better than typical per-MB overage rates, which result in those catastrophic $50,000 cell phone bills you see on CNN.

DataPlus: A $15-a-month option that offers 200MB of monthly data, good for (as AT&T puts it) 1,000 e-mails without attachments, plus 150 messages with attachments, plus 400 Web pages, plus about 20 minutes of streaming video. If you crack the 200MB monthly cap, you get another 200MB for $15.

So, which plan is right for you? That depends on how much data you're using a month, which you can typically check on your smartphone's settings menu (for the iPhone, tap "settings," then "general," then "usage," then scroll down to the "cellular network data" heading).

I consider myself a pretty heavy iPhone user, so I was leaning toward the $25-a-month DataPro plan. But to my great surprise, I found that I'd used barely a gigabyte of AT&T 3G data in the past seven — count 'em, seven — months, or about 133MB of data every 30 days. I guess that means I do the majority of my iPhone browsing and streaming over Wi-Fi. So I just might switch to DataPlus rather than to DataPro. I'd save $15 a month over my current $30-a-month unlimited plan, give or take the occasional overage charge.

To help keep track of your data usage, AT&T says it will send you up to three text-message warnings when you approach your monthly cap: when you've used 65 percent of your data, then 90 percent, then when you've run dry. You can also check your data usage using the myWireless app for the iPhone or by calling *DATA#.

What about those $30-a-month unlimited prepaid plans for the iPad? They're going away too, unfortunately, to be replaced by the $25-a-month DataPro plan — and that's a bummer, considering the iPad's aptitude at streaming video. But at least AT&T is offering up free, unlimited use of its 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots.

Last but not least: Almost a full year after Apple first announced that the iPhone would support Internet tethering, AT&T is finally set to offering a tethering plan for U.S. iPhone users (starting "when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer"). Welcome news, but keep in mind that you'll fork over $20 a month extra to tether your iPhone (via USB or Bluetooth) to your laptop.

Overall, I have to say that I'm disappointed to see AT&T dumping its unlimited data plans, especially for iPad users — and don't be surprised if the other big U.S. carriers follow suit. Then again, depending on how much data you use on your smartphone, you actually might end up saving money on a cheaper, capped plan without feeling a thing. Indeed, based on my surprisingly low monthly data usage, I might fall into the latter category.

What do you think? Happy with AT&T's revamped data plans? Bummed that the unlimited plans are going away?

• AT&T: News release

— Ben Patterson is a technology writer for Yahoo! News.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

i hate att.

i wish i could cancel my contract right now w/o some shitty fee..
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

meh, it was only a matter of time.

Kinda short sighted of them to begin with - surprise, you give people a device that uses a ton of data and wonder why people, er, use a ton of data.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

Overblown in my opinion for the iPhone:

* Existing customers are still unlimited.
* This is only for 3G. You still have unlimited usage with Wi-Fi. No one watches video over 3G.

The iPad is a different story, as it's basically designed for consuming content. Apple will lose a lot of iPad sales because of this.
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Digifox
Cl4p-Trap

Moto: Your mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Overblown in my opinion for the iPhone:

* Existing customers are still unlimited.
* This is only for 3G. You still have unlimited usage with Wi-Fi. No one watches video over 3G.

The iPad is a different story, as it's basically designed for consuming content. Apple will lose a lot of iPad sales because of this.
Thought AT&T had the fastest 3G network perfect for watching videos.
or did i miss something?

I used a little over 4GB on my Magic this month, and its tethered since we ditched the 4MBPS AT&T DSL (I really miss WOW)

AT&T WILL lose a lot of sales for a lack of unlimited, and i think Apple will find some loop-hole to ditch them if they keep this crap up.
Might we see Unlocked I-phones for GSM and CDMA?? without support for the AT&T 3G frequencies, Probably not.

Might we see Verizon's own iPhone, Probably.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Why would anyone bother tethering, if the data plan is capped.

For me, the allure of tethering is the possibility of not needing to pay for an air card. But if the data plan is capped, I'd be maxing it out all the time because my laptop is on almost 24/7 with VPN's and everything. So fuck that. I'll just keep my air card, and forget about tethering.

Oh and as for the iPad, fuck that, it's just a big iTouch

Fuck ATT too. Verizon all the way. But no, they'll never have an iPhone (and who cares anyway).

Last edited by Homeslice; 06-02-2010 at 05:00 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

CNN had a story today that basically said that rumors about a verizon wireless iPhone are exactly that: rumors.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

I'll be calling AT&T - my usage shows 9.9GB - does this mean I'm screwed?

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #9
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
CNN had a story today that basically said that rumors about a verizon wireless iPhone are exactly that: rumors.
time to man up and go google. Stop using a douche phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
time to man up and go google. Stop using a douche phone.
I don't pay for my service so iPhone it is

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.