Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #81
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Id also like to think the way our brains works plays a factor. Women are capable of thinking about many things at the same time, whether we should be or not. I know I have been around the track thinking "hottdamn, this is awesome, Im gonna kill myself, hope this dude keeps his line, if I blow this turn I will blow the next three, body positioning-check", all at the SAME time. I think about road conditions, tire temp, whether my bike is tip top, whether its a good idea to push it, remembering I have a trip coming up, I dont want broken bones for it... All of which keeps me riding more conservatively than I know I and the bike are capable of.
I have this trouble too, although I'd never admit to Erik because he would forbid me to ride at the track. I think it is the woman's ability to multi task, even if we are doing 100+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
There aren't a lot of imminent collision circumstances involved during teddy bear tea parties or playing with a Barbie Dream House. Hell, we were always pushing it on our bicycles and our favorite games involved throwing things at each other-rocks, balls, snowballs, sticks, walnuts, you name it. How the different sexes react in "crisis" situations may be part of the problem, but is it biological or is it conditioned? Heck, I've seen fags act worse than little girls when they are about to be hit.
Not all of us girls has the Barbie Dolls and such. I grew up with dirt track racing but never got in a car... wanted to drive a sprint car. Actually, I wanted to flip one first to get that fear out of the way, then I wanted to drive one the right way. A girl I was in school with races. Her Dad did it and I think still does, as well as her husband. She kicks ass. She has won a couple championships locally and doesn't take the guys shit. Granted I think car racing is a little different than bikes, but it is still an example of a girl excelling in a man's world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
There's probably some bank teller, nurses, pre-school teachers etc. out there that could dust Danika Patrick
I was hoping no one would bring her up.

Honestly I think everyone has a valid point on why women aren't more successful in motorcycle racing. But I know for me personally, Erik is a big part of why I don't go much faster than I do. I don't blame him for it because it is me that allows him to affect me the way he does. He gets so nervous and stressed out even if I want to ride to work by myself. So I try to be considerate of that and not stress him out to badly, but I want to excel and have fun too.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #82
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

This like the wnba all over again.

"I may not be fast, but my fundamentals are strong.."

I really kid. I'm not fast either..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #83
R6Chick
I haven't had that in yrs

Moto: 2004 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
I have this trouble too, although I'd never admit to Erik because he would forbid me to ride at the track. I think it is the woman's ability to multi task, even if we are doing 100+.
So glad I'm not the only one!

One time at 130mph hwy I started thinking about work the next day. I literally had to tell myself to focus and think about only the road.
R6Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 AM   #84
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Honestly I think everyone has a valid point on why women aren't more successful in motorcycle racing. But I know for me personally, Erik is a big part of why I don't go much faster than I do. I don't blame him for it because it is me that allows him to affect me the way he does. He gets so nervous and stressed out even if I want to ride to work by myself. So I try to be considerate of that and not stress him out to badly, but I want to excel and have fun too.

Thankfully, my hubby doesnt ride yet, and will most likely never run track, so he doesnt worry as much as if he knew what I was really doing...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #85
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Not all of us girls has the Barbie Dolls and such. I grew up with dirt track racing but never got in a car... wanted to drive a sprint car. Actually, I wanted to flip one first to get that fear out of the way, then I wanted to drive one the right way. A girl I was in school with races. Her Dad did it and I think still does, as well as her husband. She kicks ass. She has won a couple championships locally and doesn't take the guys shit. Granted I think car racing is a little different than bikes, but it is still an example of a girl excelling in a man's world.
Oh I know that, I didn't mean it as a derogatory statement about women or their upbringing. I merely used it as a possible reason why women don't have as much high speed avoidance" experience as men. I'm squarely in the camp that believes women could be just as "good" as men in motor sports if everything were equal.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #86
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
I don't think that's just a "girl" thing though. I lost concentration all the time when I was racing, which is why I frequently found myself mowing grass at 100 mph in turn three, while thinking about turn seven.

JC

Last edited by askmrjesus; 06-17-2009 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Lost concentration while typing
askmrjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 AM   #87
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
Nothing worse than a herd of cruisers being corner killers.

Two different types of bikes with two different styles of riding. If you dont want to be behind guys on cruisers, pass them. Trust me, they wont mind, they arent out there for the same reason you are, and they are having just as much fun.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #88
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
If you dont want to be behind guys on cruisers, pass them. Trust me, they wont mind....
I think you guys up north must have nicer cruiser/Harley riders than the typical ones down here. I'm not trying to stereotype & say all are pissy/stubborn about not 'waving by', but many will simply flat-out ignore you as they potato-potato along in their rolling road-block. I've seen some very bad reactions to being passed also - startled/pissed/freaking-out.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #89
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
I think you guys up north must have nicer cruiser/Harley riders than the typical ones down here. I'm not trying to stereotype & say all are pissy/stubborn about not 'waving by', but many will simply flat-out ignore you as they potato-potato along in their rolling road-block. I've seen some very bad reactions to being passed also - startled/pissed/freaking-out.
Heck we had some guy in a Ford Contour try not to let us pass at the Gap! It's an individual thing - most folks are cool with it but some folks just need therapy!!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #90
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
QFT! me and the gf were riding out in the country a few days ago and some guy on a full dresser actually sped up and tried to race me as I passed him. As it was I had laid back and waited a mile or so for a legal/safe passing zone before I made my move. It pissed me off because it forced me to step out of my comfort zone with a passenger.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote