Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #81
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
It is. As usual, Microsoft's wording conventions aren't the best. You know, like having to go into the "START" menu in order to "SHUTDOWN".

I didn't think about that. My favorite is still Windows 95 when the keyboard isn't connected. "keyboard not found. Hit any key to continue". The computer we kept all the up/download software on for the security panels was on a Win 95 computer. One of my favorite things to do to one of the techs that got on my nerves was to unplug the keyboard before he got there. Almost everytime he'd automatically hit a key then realize I had unplugged it again...or someone did. Of course, I took the time to twist the keyboard wire around other wires to make a jumbled mess.

Don't piss me off

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #82
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
It blocks script execution prior to login completion, which sucks monkey balls if you're trying to force-feed drive mappings and network printers in AD.
wtf? even through a GPO based script?
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #83
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post

I didn't think about that. My favorite is still Windows 95 when the keyboard isn't connected. "keyboard not found. Hit any key to continue".

Don't piss me off
still see that a lot actually w/ the BIOs'es.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:00 PM   #84
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:

I didn't think about that. My favorite is still Windows 95 when the keyboard isn't connected. "keyboard not found. Hit any key to continue". The computer we kept all the up/download software on for the security panels was on a Win 95 computer. One of my favorite things to do to one of the techs that got on my nerves was to unplug the keyboard before he got there. Almost everytime he'd automatically hit a key then realize I had unplugged it again...or someone did. Of course, I took the time to twist the keyboard wire around other wires to make a jumbled mess.

Don't piss me off
hit print screen and get an image of the desktop. then save that image as the wallpaper and right click to turn off the desktop icons. then open up task manager and kill explorer. drives em banannas
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #85
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
hit print screen and get an image of the desktop. then save that image as the wallpaper and right click to turn off the desktop icons. then open up task manager and kill explorer. drives em banannas
OMFG!!!!

You know I'll eventually find someone to do this to, right?

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #86
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
prob is typically explorer will restart itself.

Quote:
OMFG!!!!

just need to find someone who leaves their computer unlocked and walks away from it.

i'm paranoid, i even lock my computer when i walk away from it at home (if anyone is in the house that is).
Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #87
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
wtf? even through a GPO based script?
I don't know if it's GPO, basic batching, or what. It was put together by the staff we have overseeing our server farm in conjunction with outside contractors and if there is a way to bump it up to automatic authentication of administrator rights, they haven't implemented it yet.

Our Vista install base is tiny compared to XP Pro, so it hasn't been a big issue up to this point.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #88
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
OMFG!!!!

yup

Quote:
prob is typically explorer will restart itself.
well ive never had someone piss me off enough to try renaming it lol. ive also toyed with the idea of trying to pull it from the startup cue. be a lot easier if i could figure out a way to just shut off the start bar though
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #89
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Quote:
I don't know if it's GPO, basic batching, or what. It was put together by the staff we have overseeing our server farm in conjunction with outside contractors and if there is a way to bump it up to automatic authentication of administrator rights, they haven't implemented it yet.

Our Vista install base is tiny compared to XP Pro, so it hasn't been a big issue up to this point.
i'm guessing it's not.

GPO startup/shutdown scripts shound run basically as a system process (think about it, does the system prompt you for administrative access when the GPO applies in the first place, the scripts should run be running in the same context).

What it sounds like is just a basic startup script that's ran when the account authenticates against the domain... ?

Wish i could be more help but the position i was at last was fighting vista implimentation, and the job i'm in now we support it, but it's not out there right now *too* support (it's a very dynamic environment I support).
Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #90
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
i'm guessing it's not.

GPO startup/shutdown scripts shound run basically as a system process (think about it, does the system prompt you for administrative access when the GPO applies in the first place, the scripts should run be running in the same context).

What it sounds like is just a basic startup script that's ran when the account authenticates against the domain... ?

Wish i could be more help but the position i was at last was fighting vista implimentation, and the job i'm in now we support it, but it's not out there right now *too* support (it's a very dynamic environment I support).
You're likely right about that. I had very little to do with the server side implementation. I was hands on, out on site. It was pretty messy, so I had my hands full enough as it was.

At this point though, I'm not putting anything past the screw-ups that Vista can cause. Have you ever added a Vista system to AD and then logged in for the first time, only to have Vista sit there saying that it was logging in for as long as you're willing to wait? Lost count, myself.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote