Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-04-2009, 12:43 AM   #81
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
WHATEVER!!! I have almost $15k in my stereo system so... Besides who else sells bi-amp style speaker wire? btw when did I ever come out for Monster? I do use the better cable but Monster is actually cheaper than what I use. In fact the only cables that I have from them is my speaker wires which were about $300. I buy quality products because they last and are backed up by the manufacturers. Oh and I use HDMI cables from Monoprice and Mediabridge... I know where to save and where to spend, imho.
When I worked at Costco in the electronics section we set up the tvs. One guy there wanted to go to the dollar store to buy cables and parts all the time. It drove me nuts. The cables were junk. Pissed me off. I made sure they didn't send him for cables after that.

Build quality does make a difference.

In the end what matters most is that the person spending the money is happy with what they paid for.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 AM   #82
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
When I worked at Costco in the electronics section we set up the tvs. One guy there wanted to go to the dollar store to buy cables and parts all the time. It drove me nuts. The cables were junk. Pissed me off. I made sure they didn't send him for cables after that.

Build quality does make a difference.

In the end what matters most is that the person spending the money is happy with what they paid for.

James
QFT!!! The thing that always grabs me about the better cables is the build quality! When you put a set of my RCAs on the component, they are on fucking TIGHT! When you put on a set of budget, "just as good" RCAs on your stereo, they just about fall right back off. You can have them! I've been using the sames hook up cables on this stereo through 5 moves and almost 15 years. When you start earning my money, you can tell me how to spend my money.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 AM   #83
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

If you wanted to spend 600 bucks on a mixed tape, that's your business.

But, when my 5 dollar cd sounds just as good as your 600 dollar mixed tape, a fella can't help but chuckle..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #84
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
If you wanted to spend 600 bucks on a mixed tape, that's your business.

But, when my 5 dollar cd sounds just as good as your 600 dollar mixed tape, a fella can't help but chuckle..
I would agre with you IF that were the case, it's not. That's like saying that your $20,000 Cobalt SS is "just as good" as my $50,000 Corvette because you don't drive over 80 mph or because you don't have the roads or skill to appreciate the difference. I KNOW without a doubt that my stereo, in it's entirety, is "better" than some $400 in the box set-up hooked up using spaghetti. If you wish to keep telling yourself that your cheap, piece of shit surround sound system sounds "just as good" as mine, I guess I "just can't help but chuckle"....
Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #85
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
WHATEVER!!! I have almost $15k in my stereo system so... Besides who else sells bi-amp style speaker wire? btw when did I ever come out for Monster? I do use the better cable but Monster is actually cheaper than what I use. In fact the only cables that I have from them is my speaker wires which were about $300. I buy quality products because they last and are backed up by the manufacturers. Oh and I use HDMI cables from Monoprice and Mediabridge... I know where to save and where to spend, imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I sold a Monster cable to a woman that said she wouldn't buy Monster cables the other day. It turned out it was the cheapest way for her to go with what she wanted to do (ipod car charger and aux cable) and had less cables laying around. But in most cases I go with the other two brands that are half the price or less.

James
Quote:
QFT!!! The thing that always grabs me about the better cables is the build quality! When you put a set of my RCAs on the component, they are on fucking TIGHT! When you put on a set of budget, "just as good" RCAs on your stereo, they just about fall right back off. You can have them! I've been using the sames hook up cables on this stereo through 5 moves and almost 15 years. When you start earning my money, you can tell me how to spend my money.
I am not telling you how to spend your money, you can be a douchenozzle all you want with your own money. I am informing other consumers on the true nature of cables. Most of them know you have to be a sucker to believe that short cable crap that electronic stores try to sell you on.

The tight fitting connector isn't even the cable quality. Connectors are easily replaced with whatever you want to add to them and you can get quality connectors for extremely cheap. I've never had an issue with my generic stereo cables falling off by the way or being less than snug. Maybe you jus have had some bad experiences with buying the wrong mid range cable, I don't buy cheap ebay/electronic store crap, I buy a nice mid range cable with a great price. The difference in that strand of wire in that insulation is not all that different from generic cables to the best cables.

It's ok tigger, we all get suckered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #86
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I would agre with you IF that were the case, it's not. That's like saying that your $20,000 Cobalt SS is "just as good" as my $50,000 Corvette because you don't drive over 80 mph or because you don't have the roads or skill to appreciate the difference. I KNOW without a doubt that my stereo, in it's entirety, is "better" than some $400 in the box set-up hooked up using spaghetti. If you wish to keep telling yourself that your cheap, piece of shit surround sound system sounds "just as good" as mine, I guess I "just can't help but chuckle"....
You aren't comparing what we are actually discussing here. The Cobalt and Corvette wouldn't be the wiring of the stereo. That would be the stereos themself. Yes, you can get much better quality out of a more expensive stereo because they will use much more quality components. Comparing the wiring of those stereos is what we are discussing. If you took the same stereos and wired one with your fancy pants cables vs a decent mid range cable, the only people that would be able to guess the difference would be the ones that made the lucky guess.

For the short ranges we are talking here, you will only lose so much of the signal, so the difference between mid range to high end is almost nill as long as you put some thought in design. If you are running a home theater system, that requires long long speaker wire, then you need to consider a quality cable, but if you are running 6 foot wires, the difference is almost zero.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #87
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I am not telling you how to spend your money, you can be a douchenozzle all you want with your own money. I am informing other consumers on the true nature of cables. Most of them know you have to be a sucker to believe that short cable crap that electronic stores try to sell you on.

The tight fitting connector isn't even the cable quality. Connectors are easily replaced with whatever you want to add to them and you can get quality connectors for extremely cheap. I've never had an issue with my generic stereo cables falling off by the way or being less than snug. Maybe you jus have had some bad experiences with buying the wrong mid range cable, I don't buy cheap ebay/electronic store crap, I buy a nice mid range cable with a great price. The difference in that strand of wire in that insulation is not all that different from generic cables to the best cables.

It's ok tigger, we all get suckered.
True, some of us go out and buy a Bavarian bike for twice the money when a Japanese bike would be "just as good"...

If buying a Porsche when a 350Z is "just as good" is being a "douchenozzle" then fine. I'm not some hoity toity engineer like you but I have a lot of experience in this area and I know that there is a difference. I've done side by side comparisons with my own hands and judging with my own ears.

My cd player is appreciably louder than a Sony cd player on the same receiver.

I can hook up a speaker using a high quality cable measure the spl and then put some crap Walmart cable on there and measure a difference.

I can hook up your car amp using cheap RCAs and speaker wire and then use the good stuff and you WILL notice a drop in engine noise AND an increase in spl.

I've worked in this industry as a sales person, a car stereo installer and a home theater installer. Believe what you want but you get what you pay for. I agree that it's a "diminishing returns" situation and there comes a point where the "improvement" doesn't justify the expense but to say that there is "no difference" is bullshit. I'm sure that you choose to believe that your cheap receiver is "just as good" as my stereo and that is your right but the specifications show otherwise.

Why don't you use Shinko tires on your bikes? You don't you use the cheapest oil possible when you change it? Why did you buy an Arai helmet, isn't a Z1R just as good?

I'm sure you call ever guy that you see on the road in a Mercedes a "douchenozzle" as you drive to work in your Civic and hey, if that helps you get through your life then more power to you....
Old 12-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #88
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
True, some of us go out and buy a Bavarian bike for twice the money when a Japanese bike would be "just as good"...

If buying a Porsche when a 350Z is "just as good" is being a "douchenozzle" then fine. I'm not some hoity toity engineer like you but I have a lot of experience in this area and I know that there is a difference. I've done side by side comparisons with my own hands and judging with my own ears.

My cd player is appreciably louder than a Sony cd player on the same receiver.

I can hook up a speaker using a high quality cable measure the spl and then put some crap Walmart cable on there and measure a difference.

I can hook up your car amp using cheap RCAs and speaker wire and then use the good stuff and you WILL notice a drop in engine noise AND an increase in spl.

I've worked in this industry as a sales person, a car stereo installer and a home theater installer. Believe what you want but you get what you pay for. I agree that it's a "diminishing returns" situation and there comes a point where the "improvement" doesn't justify the expense but to say that there is "no difference" is bullshit. I'm sure that you choose to believe that your cheap receiver is "just as good" as my stereo and that is your right but the specifications show otherwise.

Why don't you use Shinko tires on your bikes? You don't you use the cheapest oil possible when you change it? Why did you buy an Arai helmet, isn't a Z1R just as good?

I'm sure you call ever guy that you see on the road in a Mercedes a "douchenozzle" as you drive to work in your Civic and hey, if that helps you get through your life then more power to you....
You need to learn to read, Tigger....

I said a quality stereo will make a difference over a budget stereo. I agreed with you on that. There is a lot of difference in components there. That's why I said comparing a cobalt and corvette doesn't apply to this situation since we are talking cables and not the components themselves.

Where I disagreed is cables. Ohhhhhhh, you installed shit. I bet you feel all proud of yourself. I have tested cables both in educational settings like an electronics lab in a University using high end equipment and as a career using industry leading equipment to check for quality. I also do it in my spare time within my hobbies such as the christmas lights, since I have to run long stretches of cable that are dependent on a good signal given the quick light sequences I have. So, no I don't understand how to check for quality within a cable and it's connectors. My theoritical knowledge and real world application, just doesn't add up to your ear and opinion when it comes to wire/cable quality. Sorry...
Quote:
Old 12-04-2009, 10:02 AM   #89
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You aren't comparing what we are actually discussing here. The Cobalt and Corvette wouldn't be the wiring of the stereo. That would be the stereos themself. Yes, you can get much better quality out of a more expensive stereo because they will use much more quality components. Comparing the wiring of those stereos is what we are discussing. If you took the same stereos and wired one with your fancy pants cables vs a decent mid range cable, the only people that would be able to guess the difference would be the ones that made the lucky guess.

For the short ranges we are talking here, you will only lose so much of the signal, so the difference between mid range to high end is almost nill as long as you put some thought in design. If you are running a home theater system, that requires long long speaker wire, then you need to consider a quality cable, but if you are running 6 foot wires, the difference is almost zero.
"almost zero" is not zero...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #90
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
"almost zero" is not zero...
No it's not, I have found in some cases a generic cable is better than it's monster or high end cable equivalent. We are talking differences that may not even be audible to the human ear. People like to trick themselves into thinking that since they paid more for something it is better than a cheaper equivalent. That is not always true. Cables are a good place to look at that.

However, I did preach that same stupid shit about monster cables when I worked at Best Buy. Not because I believed it, but because I wanted a bonus.

BTW, I liked my cables over store bought ones any day during the analog times. I controlled the solder and connection quality and buying straight up good quality wire was cheaper. With digital it's not worth the hassle with all the little pins and how the signal is passed.
Quote:

Last edited by Trip; 12-04-2009 at 10:10 AM..