Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-24-2010, 02:45 AM   #71
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

this is fact:

"22. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents. "

your results may vary.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 04-24-2010 at 02:54 AM..
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #72
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Fact: 88% of all statistics are made up.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:22 AM   #73
RACER X
AMA Supersport

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/hurt.html

like i said, it's a synopsis of the "hurt report"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_Report
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #74
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Wait, did you just try to use wikipedia as a credible source?

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #75
RACER X
AMA Supersport

its a start

the hurt report is a real study

the maids report is the newest one. its 435 pages

http://www.maids-study.eu/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAIDS_report
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 04-24-2010 at 10:55 AM..
Old 04-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #76
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Remember when Derf posted this
http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14085 ?

It's a recent report saying that you have a 10% higher chance of being in a fatal accident if you've been trained.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #77
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Remember when Derf posted this
http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=14085 ?

It's a recent report saying that you have a 10% higher chance of being in a fatal accident if you've been trained.
"•The frequency of insurance collision claims for riders younger than 21 is 10 percent higher in states that require riders this age to take a training course before they become eligible for a license to drive a motorcycle, compared with states that don't require training. Although this difference isn't statistically significant, it contradicts the notion that training courses reduce crashes. A potential explanation is that riders in some states are fully licensed once they finish training. This might shorten the permit period so that riders end up with full licenses earlier than if training weren't mandated."

ins. claims are diff then fatalities.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #78
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
"•The frequency of insurance collision claims for riders younger than 21 is 10 percent higher in states that require riders this age to take a training course before they become eligible for a license to drive a motorcycle, compared with states that don't require training. Although this difference isn't statistically significant, it contradicts the notion that training courses reduce crashes. A potential explanation is that riders in some states are fully licensed once they finish training. This might shorten the permit period so that riders end up with full licenses earlier than if training weren't mandated."

ins. claims are diff then fatalities.
You're right, I just went by Derf's quick description. However there are facts stating that trained people under 21 are 10% likelier to make a claim. Claims usually indicate accidents.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 AM   #79
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

What level of training is the euro report referring too? Euro training and testing is leaps and bounds better than the msf.

Sorry racer your bias can only carry you so far but the Limitations of msf are glaring.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #80
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Ya know, while I recommend the MSF to everyone, I dont understand this automatic response everyone has to the dreaded teaching a loved one the basics.
Hubby taught me for the most part. I had moments were I got mad and directed it toward him. Fortunately he knew that I wasn't actually mad at him, but at myself and only taking out on him. It didn't turn out to be too bad for either of us. I did pick up on some of his habits. They aren't really bad, just not proper techniques.

On the flip side, this doesn't work so well when I'm trying to help him with math. He is better off learning from someone other than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If she refuses to take the MSF and wants to street ride, get her out in some VERY quiet neighborhoods and let her lead you around at her own pace till her skills improve and she's ready for a more fast pace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
I'm glad somone else does this. I see so many guys bring their wives home from MSF and then hop on bikes and say "honey follow me" then proceed to take off like a bat out of hell. One guy left his wife behind in the mountains in Tenn in the rain on a ride we were on. I wound up riding down with her just to make sure she made it. I think trying to keep up is one of the major causes of newbie accidents.
I rode around his apt parking lot for an entire weekend or so and then in a large parking lot. When I did venture out on the road we would stay on back roads that had less traffic. It was quite a while before he would let me go into town and our towns aren't very big.

He followed me and sometimes that made me feel like I was being pushed. I preferred when he would lead, which was at a comfortable pace for me. He knew the limits and knew I wouldn't push mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looni2ns View Post
Or, be a real friend, and take the MSF course with her. God forbid, you might learn something!
Good idea, but could also intimidate her even more too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
The MSF costs that much in Canada? Total Rider here in Austin only charges $195.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
It's around $440 right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
$250 here. That open field is sounding good.
HOLY CRAP!!! Ohio is $25 and has been since 2002. If you are under 18 it is mandatory and I think maybe free. In 2000 or so they changed it so you can now get your endorsement after passing the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
My GF doesn't know how to ride. She's a spaz (totally).

I've told her what to do, and I've shown her. Somehow, deep in my heart I know this isn't enough.

I have a little 100cc dirt bike for her to learn on (perfect), but she is hitherto completely uninitiated in the use of a clutch, on any vehicle.

What suggestions can you folks offer me? What's worked for you guys in the past, when teaching others?

I hate spending the day in the emergency room. Should I just not attempt this? Are some just not meant to ride?

Kind of sounds like maybe she shouldn't be riding But I don't know her or you so I can't make an accurate judgement.
I would say there are some that are "just not meant to ride". Is this your GF? Maybe, maybe not. Again, I don't know either of you.

I would say that if she persists in learning and goes through the MSF or even has you teach her that you have a little more faith in her. She will definitely pick on you doubting her abilities which will piss her off more, especially if she is struggling. Be supportive and helpful.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote