Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-05-2009, 04:45 PM   #61
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

no, it's smokers.

in other words, as long as you don't infringe on my rights as a non-smoker you are ok but you can infringe on a smokers rights? the same goes for you, if you don't like being around smokers don't go where they smoke.

I figured that some bars would end up charging like a buck cover or "membership" charge to get in to a bar to smoke. after all, if it's a private club wouldn't the members be able to do what they thought was ok within reason?
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #62
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
so why do they subsidize the tobacco industry? we not only get to pay the most taxes when we buy the product, we get to pay taxes for the gov. to subsidize.

with the taxes they are putting on them they are pricing themselves out of an income off the damn things. I know my use has dropped by the minimum of 50% so the increase hasn't gotten/won't get them any more money.
Subsidizing tobacco farmers ended in 2004. Those who would have continued to be entitled to subsidies are being bought out through 2014, using money from assessments against tobacco product manufacturers and tobacco importers.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #63
was92v
Nowhere Man

So...who will be the next target? Smokers have been ostracized and the Gov't feels like they can't fight back against tax abuse. Once the smokers are sucked dry, quit or die off, who is next? Overweight tax? Actually it has already started and this just sets another precedent.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #64
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
So...who will be the next target? Smokers have been ostracized and the Gov't feels like they can't fight back against tax abuse. Once the smokers are sucked dry, quit or die off, who is next? Overweight tax? Actually it has already started and this just sets another precedent.
My guess is ammunition. It will be presented as a safety initiative with a few supposed safety provisions that will do nothing. The mass shootings that have happened recently will be used as justification. The most convenient part is it would avoid any constitutional questions by avoiding the guns themselves. Another bonus is most gun owners buy one, shoot it once or twice and relegate it to the closet. They shouldn't care about ammo prices or complain when they are increased. If I am right, I think the administration will be in for a rude awakening.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #65
Librarian
Helmets Optional

Moto: '85 K100 and a DL650AK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
If they grow, process, or sell tobacco though, fuck em. They should be better using their time by building hybrid cars or catalytic converters for cows asses.
Why not? Here's a cattle-lytic converter. Why should we buy them from Japan when we can make them here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cows2.jpg (21.5 KB, 31 views)

What's the point of wearing your favorite rocketship underpants if nobody ever asks to see 'em?
-- Calvin (Calvin & Hobbes)
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #66
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Why not? Here's a cattle-lytic converter. Why should we buy them from Japan when we can make them here?
I'm sure environmental research labs have prototypes on the shelves ready to go.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #67
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I'm sure environmental research labs have prototypes on the shelves ready to go.
shelves in California, stamped "Made in China"
zed is offline   Reply With Quote