Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #61
WildKat
It was better in the 80's

Moto: 2000 Kat 750

If you don't wear gear then you get what you deserve IMO. Riding is a risk everytime you head out regardless of where you are headed so why not try and make it as safe as you can. Gear not only helps save your skin but also helps you be even more visible especially in the evening and at night.

Textile gear is great stuff it'll save your hide if you go down and personally I'd rather get up and walk away then get skin graphs.

Ride with the SWORD !

Sweat Washes Off Roadrash Doesn't
Old 08-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #62
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
true... but as studies were done and safety equipment improved... so the risk went down... and Australian foot ball though an extremely physical sport... doesn't have the collisions that American foot ball does... yes there are the occasional rib breakers... but I'd love to see any of them play American football in the NFL with out pad and see them last more than one or two games.

as for the "most guys" statement... I seriously doubt that. yes maybe the guys you rode with were chill... law abiding riders... but I can't agree with the less gear you wear the safer you'll ride... it's BS

So your NC Forum is full of idiots then IMO... they're probably the same people who'd take off their helmets when they're in a state that doesn't require it. I'll be moving to MS here in March... and will probably be riding year round (with gas prices headed the way they are) and can't see riding with out some sort of gear... granted... it may go from leather to Textile... but I like my skin... and I like to sweat.

I'm not looking for the general public to love me... but I could do with out them hating me... hate is what brings on the legislation I spoke about earlier...

and yes... actually I do say I wear my gear all the time... when asked if I'm one of those guys on crotch rockets flying up and down the freeway... I don't need the "bad boy" mystique to land girls... I could care less what THOSE type of girls think of me... you can have'm
Ok,that's you,I respect your right to feel the way you feel and do the things you do. I could call you a "pussy" or whatever because you wear all that gear all the time. I could call you a coward because you won't ride fast in traffic or do wheelies on the freeway. It's easy to judge other people because they don't live the way you do. I try to avoid that when I can.

As far as the bimbos who like bad boys go. I was attempting to find something we could mutually relate to as men. Unfortunately,I choose my example poorly. Anyway,I am a bad person, I have done things to show off, I ride sometimes without a full leather track suit, I don't mind getting sex from girls who don't believe in everything I do,I break the speed limit every time I get on my bike,I think that adults should be allowed to make their own decisions with regard to their personal safety.

We won't ever agree and that's ok. I'll probably always be the only real "squid" on this forum. You guys will always run off anyone else who joins and disagrees with your beliefs. Hey,that's fine with me. It's nice to be unique in a way! Oh and to totally shoot holes in this stupid theory that people in Suburbans and Tahoes judge riders based on how much gear they have on... It is absolutely absurd to imagine that anyone BUT people like you care how much riding gear I'm wearing. Lastly,my friends here aren't idiots. One of them is sitting on my couch right now and has 20+ years of riding experience. He even held the lap record at the local track for awhile. That statement was extremely judgmental even for this forum...

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 08-03-2008 at 04:09 AM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:21 AM   #63
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Get a textile jacket to save your skin. I don't care if the heat index is 110, I'll have my gear on ( full face helmet, olympia textile armored jacket, high top leather boots& gloves) I would much rather sweat than bleed. It's your ass out on the bike. I won't feel a thing if you remove "acres" of your skin.

I don't stunt on the street, I've had my fun riding dirt bike when I learned how to ride. Plus the area I live has changed dramically in the last couple decades. The former good wheelie roads and now lined with houses. No longer safe to ride fast. Besides, the bike handles better with two wheels on the ground.

Jeff
48 years old with over 50K street miles
There will always be new fast/wheelie roads.You have obviously lost your taste for it. Your choice.

Lon
43 years old with almost 20,000 street miles this bike alone. At least 200,000 miles with over 25 years experience.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:23 AM   #64
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

like I said... I could care less what you wear... or what anyone else wears... but knowing that by simply wearing gear and being a little hotter while riding but choosing not to... is an idiotic choice... I'll call them how I see them.

I said nothing about your friends riding tallents... nor yours... i'm sure you both could ride circles around me... I could care less...

I'm not saying I've never broken the law... I ride fast(er) in trafic... but that goes into defensive riding. but there are places for showing off... and in traffic on public roads isn't it. especially when your under geared if things go bad

I too believe that people should be able to make their own decisions... but they also shouldn't cry when I call them an idiot for not making the smart choice. Go ahead call me a pussy for wearing my gear... I've heard it before... I could care less... I wear the gear to keep my skin the way it is... Pale and in tact...

Granted... many of these idiots... "Squids" could out ride me any day of the week... but who gives a fuck... they're still idiots... and if they're doing stupid shit in traffic they're driving that stereo type home to everyone who see's them.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #65
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKat View Post
If you don't wear gear then you get what you deserve IMO. Riding is a risk everytime you head out regardless of where you are headed so why not try and make it as safe as you can. Gear not only helps save your skin but also helps you be even more visible especially in the evening and at night.

Textile gear is great stuff it'll save your hide if you go down and personally I'd rather get up and walk away then get skin graphs.

Ride with the SWORD !

Sweat Washes Off Roadrash Doesn't
How does a black textile or leather jacket make you more visible? Heck,a nice bright t-shirt would be better.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:40 AM   #66
zerioustt
i like titties

Quote:
like I said... I could care less what you wear... or what anyone else wears... but knowing that by simply wearing gear and being a little hotter while riding but choosing not to... is an idiotic choice... I'll call them how I see them.

I said nothing about your friends riding tallents... nor yours... i'm sure you both could ride circles around me... I could care less...

I'm not saying I've never broken the law... I ride fast(er) in trafic... but that goes into defensive riding. but there are places for showing off... and in traffic on public roads isn't it. especially when your under geared if things go bad

I too believe that people should be able to make their own decisions... but they also shouldn't cry when I call them an idiot for not making the smart choice. Go ahead call me a pussy for wearing my gear... I've heard it before... I could care less... I wear the gear to keep my skin the way it is... Pale and in tact...

Granted... many of these idiots... "Squids" could out ride me any day of the week... but who gives a fuck... they're still idiots... and if they're doing stupid shit in traffic they're driving that stereo type home to everyone who see's them.

anything you say carries 0 weight with me because youre a hypocrite. you call others stupid but you speed in traffic. that makes alot of sense youre putting just as many people at risk as people who stunt in traffic. you can use your brakes for defensive driving no need to rip on the throttle.
zerioustt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #67
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerioustt View Post
anything you say carries 0 weight with me because youre a hypocrite. you call others stupid but you speed in traffic. that makes alot of sense youre putting just as many people at risk as people who stunt in traffic. you can use your brakes for defensive driving no need to rip on the throttle.
There is a difference between balance point wheelies on the highway and doing 10 over. Nice try.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #68
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
There will always be new fast/wheelie roads.You have obviously lost your taste for it. Your choice.

Lon
43 years old with almost 20,000 street miles this bike alone. At least 200,000 miles with over 25 years experience.
Lon,
I guess I didn't choose the best wording. I've learned that I'm not the "indestructable super hero" on the bike anymore. In addition to choosing the correct places to play, the gear is also important too.

Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #69
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Ok but you've said that their "lack of gear" makes us look bad.That's what I'm talking about,not whether or not they ride like assholes on the street. You never even try to understand what I'm saying,you agree that everyone has a right to wear whatever gear they want and then you say you have a right to judge everyone else and call them names. Basically what you are saying is that if you run into a guy in a full track set-up on the road,he gets to call you a "squid" because he's made a "smarter" choice then you have. I guess I don't understand the need here to label other riders because they don't subscribe to your beliefs. Oh and I never said that people on my forum here don't wear gear,I said that they don't run around judging other rider's gear choices. Besides,I know for a fact that some of the other guys on this forum don't always wear a jacket/boots/gloves when they ride. I wish for once they would man up and help me out during these discussions so it doesn't always have to be that "squid" Tigger vs everyone else on the forum on this issue.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #70
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
Lon,
I guess I didn't choose the best wording. I've learned that I'm not the "indestructable super hero" on the bike anymore. In addition to choosing the correct places to play, the gear is also important too.

Jeff
That's cool Jeff. Oh and if you've seen some of the other threads I've posted pics in then you know that I also don't believe that I'm indestructible. I have several screws,pins and scars to prove it. I've buried at least a dozen of my friends due to motorcycle accidents so I have zero illusions when it comes to my mortality. I've never claimed that wearing gear was a bad thing, I never claimed it wasn't the smart or right thing to do. I am merely saying that I should be able to wear or not wear whatever gear I choose without being judged by anyone else.

Some of you smoke,I don't,should I follow you around calling you an idiot every time you light up?

Some of you drink,I don't,heck,some of you have even admitted to having a couple beers during bike rides,does this give me the right to call you names?

Some of you smoke pot,I don't,I guess I'm allowed to judge your life even tho' you're not affecting me directly.

I just don't understand why some people on this forum are so angry when see or hear of someone not wearing what they have decided is "proper gear".
Oh and will at least one person address my question as to why only the guys on sportbikes are squids when they don't wear full gear but guys on cruisers, choppers,scooters,etc get a pass? I would appreciate even one intelligent,rational explanation of this concept.