Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #61
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Yeah I read it,

I'm just saying..One could argue no company actually has "True 4g"

It's all marketing jib jab to me though.
By the time we get to that speed that some have labeled 4G speed, we will have moved on to fifth generation technology. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #62
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The new flagship Android superphone stumbles out of the gate

While there are several smartphone manufacturers that use Google's Android operating system, the Nexus line is often considered the cream of the crop. The Nexus line is the only series of handsets designed with the help of Google, and therefore the phone are always the first to get updates to the OS. The new Samsung Galaxy Nexus debuted on December 17, and almost immediately customers began to report issues with some of the phone's key features.

Signal strength
The most widespread problem deals with the phone's less-than-impressive signal strength. Numerous customers are reporting that their shiny new smartphones simply can't get a decent 3G or 4G connection. The outcry has become so broad that Verizon issued a statement letting new Nexus owners know that a fix is on the way, though no date has been revealed for when the update will go live.

Finicky Face Unlock
But it's not just signal strength that has new Nexus owners up in arms: it appears that Face Unlock — a marquee feature of the brand new Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system — isn't exactly perfect. In fact, our own testing confirmed that the new facial recognition technology, which unlocks your phone without so much as a tap, was only accurate about 50% of the time. The feature requires almost perfect lighting and a direct view of your face to even have a chance of unlocking your phone. If the device is even slightly askew, it tends to default to the secondary security function.

Touchy touchscreen
A lesser-reported issue — and one that we weren't able to produce on our own Galaxy Nexus — has to do with a faulty touchscreen. Several users report that their device's massive 4.65" multi-touch display fails to detect tactile input in some apps and games. Certain apps appear to be affected more than others: the games Heavy Gunner 3D, Pew Pew 2, ShadowGun and Gun Bros. are confirmed as having the bug. The issue can usually be corrected by exiting the offending app and then locking and unlocking the device; however, re-opening an app that has the bug will cause the problem to resurface.

Needless to say, some customers aren't entirely pleased with their new purchase, and while the majority — if not all — of these problems can likely be solved through a free, over-the-air software update, Android early adopters are feeling the sting. If you're one of the unlucky few experiencing a less-than-satisfactory introduction to your new Galaxy Nexus, you can either wait until a fix appears, exchange it via your carrier's return policy (most are 30-day), or jump ship entirely — though the latter option will definitely cost you.

This article originally appeared on Tecca
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #63
Homeslice
Elitist

Mike G
0Thumbs UpThumbs Down1
Mike G • Irvine, California • 16 hrs ago Report Abuse

haven'y had any of this issue. BUT my Galaxy Nexus gets extremely hot on top of the screen and on the back cover. It gets so hot that I don't want to touch the screen, Anyone else experiencing this issue????

7 Replies

Justin
0Thumbs UpThumbs Down0
Justin • West Chicago, Illinois • 16 hrs ago Report Abuse

Nope, not at all.

Mike G
0Thumbs UpThumbs Down0
Mike G 16 hrs ago Report Abuse

your screen doesn't get hot at all?for example when you are browsing the web for 10 minutes or playing a game? I would be on my OG Droid for hours and the phone wouldn't get hot at all. I don't know if I have a faulty device or what, please let me know what you guys are experiencing.

Justin
0Thumbs UpThumbs Down0
Justin • West Chicago, United States • 16 hrs ago Report Abuse

I played fruit ninja for an hour and I had a cool device. I think something might be wrong with yours man.

Mike G
0Thumbs UpThumbs Down0
Mike G 16 hrs ago Report Abuse

wow well thanks for clarification, I don't know whats wrong with my device but the top of the screen gets so hot that I can't even make a phone,it burns my face (this is about 5 minutes of Facebook or playing Where's My Water)...I really like the phone and don't want to settle for Razr,want to keep... More

Casey
0Thumbs UpThumbs Down0
Casey • Frederick, United States • 13 hrs ago Report Abuse

Mine did the same thing when I first got it. Went back to Verizon and got a new battery, haven't had the problem since.

Mykal Parent
0Thumbs UpThumbs Down0
Mykal Parent • Orlando, United States • 11 hrs ago Report Abuse

experiencing the same thing here...some reports have said that it's because that is where the 4g chip is in the phon...don't know if it's true.

RaoulF
0Thumbs UpThumbs Down0
RaoulF • Fremont, United States • 11 hrs ago Report Abuse

My Nexus does get crazy hot on the top back portion of the phone, but only when I'm downloading/updating a lot of apps using 4G.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #64
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Signal strength hasn't been an issue with me, but this is something Apple went through before and is doing the same thing Verizon is going to do, LIE. Apparently people feel better if they have more bars on the screen instead of seeing what their signal looks like accurately. They don't really notice the ups and downs of the network if they don't see it.

Here's an article about it.

Quote:
It's not every day that smartphone users want to be lied to. But in the case of signal strength, we'll apparently make an exception. Verizon has told Computer World that in the case of the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, the LTE signal is being received and reported accurately. Too accurately, actually. So accurately, in fact, that if you appear to have a worse signal and more 3G/4G bouncing with the Galaxy Nexus, it's probably because your other LTE phones weren't as accuate as the Galaxy Nexus.

So, as Verizon told Computer World, it will make the Galaxy Nexus report signal strength a little less accurately as to ease our minds and be more in line with its other LTE devices. And so long as the phone at least appears to have a better connection, we're apparently OK with it.

This isn't an unprecedented move -- Apple did pretty much the same thing with the iPhone 4. While we're not disputing that things have appeared to be a bit off -- our own Verizon review unit definitely has appeared to be more wonky than our other 4G devices -- there's probably a little bit of the internet microscope at work here, too. Verizon (and every other carrier) is always working on improving connection, even after a phone is released. It's why we see new radios in updates all the time.
Face unlock is a gimmick, I turned it on to play with it, turned it off for every day use.

Don't have the touchscreen issue some people are reporting, so I can't comment on that.

Mine doesn't get hot either, my main complaint is battery life. Big screen means juice devouring device.

Worse thing so far is Verizon had a nationwide 4G phone outage this morning. Pissed me off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 12-21-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #65
Homeslice
Elitist

Jim
1Thumbs UpThumbs Down0
Jim • Grove City, Ohio • 14 hrs ago Report Abuse

Would be nice if it were true, the fact is that there is a signal trouble, I am not a "Bar" watcher, I could care less. The truth is, while in Target, a store that I frequent, holding the Nexus next to a HTC Thunderbolt, the thunderbolt had two 4g bars and the Nexus had NO service. I frequently use the barcode scanner to compare prices. The Nexus was useless in the store. The other thing I notice, the Nexus appears to be in 3g often when compared to the HTC Thunderbolt, it is in 4g. Phones side by side. There is a signal problem and if you TRUST Verizon on this reply, you simply do not understand damage control.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #66
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

Jim
1Thumbs UpThumbs Down0
Jim • Grove City, Ohio • 14 hrs ago Report Abuse

Would be nice if it were true, the fact is that there is a signal trouble, I am not a "Bar" watcher, I could care less. The truth is, while in Target, a store that I frequent, holding the Nexus next to a HTC Thunderbolt, the thunderbolt had two 4g bars and the Nexus had NO service. I frequently use the barcode scanner to compare prices. The Nexus was useless in the store. The other thing I notice, the Nexus appears to be in 3g often when compared to the HTC Thunderbolt, it is in 4g. Phones side by side. There is a signal problem and if you TRUST Verizon on this reply, you simply do not understand damage control.
I havent fucked around with the nexus yet, but we should all just throw our androids into the trash and everyone buy an iphone. I think it should be a crime and reuslt in jail time if you don't have an iphone.

Hell, lets all marry our gay boyfriends, ban all guns, vote Obama '12, adopt a couple hiv+ kids from thailand and africa, buy a house we cant afford and rely on the feds to bail us out, protest big banks for making money, make it mandatory to give up half our paycheck(after taxes that is) to underprivaliged people(aka to the ghetto)...if you all dont like these new laws, I think the fed gov should throw you in jail.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #67
Homeslice
Elitist

So the topic is politics now?

I'll admit, iPhone users do seem like they're more LIKELY to be liberal...
Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #68
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I got 2 Evos for 100 bucks a year ago. So no.
Only a year ago?

By that time they were behind the curve.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #69
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Only a year ago?

By that time they were behind the curve.
You mistake me for someone who cares, son. I'm not hung up on the bullshit like you are.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #70
Trip
Hold mah beer!

I have the nexus, signal is fine. Just as good as my wifes iphone. My beats hers in loading on 3g 90% of the time.