Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #61
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
Are you kidding me? Infection is a common risk factor post surgery. Doesn't matter who or where you get surgery, people get infection. By that logic you could say my father had inferior treatment for his Cancer at one of the most well known cancer hospitals in the world located in Houston, TX. He had infection post surgery and his Cancer came back.

He had zero complications following his stint with CA for the 3rd time here in my little Canadian hospital.

I'd say 99.9% of people don't go into the medical field for the money. There are far better ways to make more money and actually have a life. And the best and the brightest go into fields that suit them - from palliative care to cardiac surgery - not into which that pay more...

It's amazing what little first hand knowledge people have of our system and think it's inferior. Any American I've ever taken care of has been nothing but impressed with the care they received.
Um so if your boss came up to you tomorrow and told you that you were going to have to take a 50% pay cut you would say, "Oh that's okay because I only do this for the warm, fuzzy feeling I get from helping others."
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #62
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
''If you had your surgery here, would you have gotten the infection, EH? In other words, is Canadian health care inferior because all of the practitioners get paid less and the best/brightest choose other fields where the salary potential is better, EH?
Hahahahahahaaahaha. I needed that after just watching the ending to Marley and Me.

I give you 2 stars for that one
Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #63
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

Firstly.. who says our doctors only make half of what American doctors do? Where's that statistic from?

Secondly "we" read the post about my infection as being accusatory that I wouldn't have gotten the infection in the states, because how the heck do we know if I would or would not have? I personally don't think I would have been approved to have the surgery in the states to be totally honest, as it was, it was elective here. ( no acute attacks)

I am not in any way saying that the current bill is the right way to go about bring universal healthcare to the US. I am sure that there are many ways of making sure that everyone has access to insured healthcare. If you have great private insurance, you should be able to opt to stay with it, no question there. Maybe there has to be a way to hold HMO's accountable for the procedures that they turn down that result in someone's death?

I am in a unique position in that I know many people from the U.S. who have lost spouses after both trauma and prolonged illness and I have heard several stories of how some of them are in serious financial difficulty, their life savings wiped out ( with insurance) or how their spouses were denied treatment and as a result died. This has not happened to everyone of course, but in Canada, this happens to NOBODY.

I think that the US needs to develop their OWN type of system that the country can run and manage, we are not a perfect model here, I don't claim that, but I for one think it pretty much works for Canada.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #64
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
Firstly.. who says our doctors only make half of what American doctors do? Where's that statistic from?

Secondly "we" read the post about my infection as being accusatory that I wouldn't have gotten the infection in the states, because how the heck do we know if I would or would not have? I personally don't think I would have been approved to have the surgery in the states to be totally honest, as it was, it was elective here. ( no acute attacks)

I am not in any way saying that the current bill is the right way to go about bring universal healthcare to the US. I am sure that there are many ways of making sure that everyone has access to insured healthcare. If you have great private insurance, you should be able to opt to stay with it, no question there. Maybe there has to be a way to hold HMO's accountable for the procedures that they turn down that result in someone's death?

I am in a unique position in that I know many people from the U.S. who have lost spouses after both trauma and prolonged illness and I have heard several stories of how some of them are in serious financial difficulty, their life savings wiped out ( with insurance) or how their spouses were denied treatment and as a result died. This has not happened to everyone of course, but in Canada, this happens to NOBODY.

I think that the US needs to develop their OWN type of system that the country can run and manage, we are not a perfect model here, I don't claim that, but I for one think it pretty much works for Canada.
I lived in Germany for 3 years and was privy to my wife's health care plan and it seemed on the up and up. She went to the doctor whenever she pleased and was treated for whatever bothered her. In fact, when I got into an automobile accident, I stayed in a German hospital for a couple weeks before I was moved to an Army hospital.

Oh and my fiance' died because she couldn't afford health care and let her asthma get out of hand. She made too much money to get Medicare but not enough to afford the doctor bills... Funny, how with all of these "altruistic" health care professionals we have in this country, no one offered to help her for free.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #65
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherri_chickie View Post
Maybe there has to be a way to hold HMO's accountable for the procedures that they turn down that result in someone's death?
I'm curious if there has ever been someone who died as a result of a procedure being denied. Even here in America, hospitals, doctors, etc can't deny a life saving procedure to anyone regardless of income, insurance or if they are an illegal alien who just murdered 100 police officers and 15 kittens.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #66
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I'm curious if there has ever been someone who died as a result of a procedure being denied. Even here in America, hospitals, doctors, etc can't deny a life saving procedure to anyone regardless of income, insurance or if they are an illegal alien who just murdered 100 police officers and 15 kittens.
Actualy they can people cannot be turned away from the ER but say they need a tumor removed or something a doctor can refuse to do it if they wont get paid. its a little bit of a grey area though and you can throw out scenarios for or against it.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #67
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I dont have health insurance cause it cost too much.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #68
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post

Oh and my fiance' died because she couldn't afford health care and let her asthma get out of hand. She made too much money to get Medicare but not enough to afford the doctor bills... Funny, how with all of these "altruistic" health care professionals we have in this country, no one offered to help her for free.

So this is your example of how your system is better?

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:11 AM   #69
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Hahahahahahaaahaha. I needed that after just watching the ending to Marley and Me.

I give you 2 stars for that one
I watched that a week or so ago...cried when the dog died. lol

If you have no or limited healthcare insurance, Canada is for you!

If you have decent healthcare or good healthcare insurance, America is for you.

Bout sums it up.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:16 AM   #70
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Did not know about the kittens....

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote