Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #51
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
Argh, that's a sore subject for me right now... i bought a riding mower two years ago, used. Ran fine through the first mowing of the lawn, then it was one problem after another... replaced the starter ($100), all the fuel lines, then the battery the following year, meanwhile shit was always falling off of it ... Last week I went out to do the first mowing of the year, and both tires had gone flat and popped off the beads. Pushed it to the front of the house to fix the tires, finally got it running, drove it to the back... and the fucking engine seized.

I took the fuel tank out, and beat the thing with a BFH until I felt better. Now I have to find one that will actually last a couple of years, and doesn't cost more than my bike.
sorry to hear that bud but beating it with a BFH if funny as hell.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #52
was92v
Nowhere Man

I had a Craftsman garden tractor (American Yard Machine) for 8 years. It had a Kohler V-Twin, 46" deck and a Hydro trans. I worked the hell out of it. Mowed 3 acres every weekend from March to Nov, pulled downed trees and limbs, groomed a gravel drive with a drag etc. I maintained it pretty well and never had a problem with it until the trans gave up the fight. Repairs/replace would cost more than it was worth so I sold it and bought a used Scag with a 61" deck. I got the Scag for about the same price as I paid for the Craftsman originally. The Scag spoiled me rotten. My mowing time went from 5 hours, basically all day every Saturday, of every weekend, to 2 hours on Friday evening after work. I gained another day off every weekend. I should have done it years ago.

Long story short, I lost my Job, wife, home and everything I worked my whole life for, including my mower. I loved that mower...

So anyway, fast forward a couple of years and I moved into a place with 2 acres and lots of stuff to mow around.
You KNOW what I went looking for.
I found a 17 year old Scag that had been rode hard and put away wet for $1400. A day and half later after going over everything, tweaking, tuning, greasing and sharpening I mowed the yard with it. Works great, though I did eventually have to put a fresh battery in it. Its not the prettiest mower around, but even brand new they look more like a piece of construction equipment than a mower anyway. It works so well that I just don't care if it is ugly, in fact I kind of like it. A Scag deck makes for a great looking yard and the sonofabitch is fun, like riding a Tilt-A-Whirl at the county fair. Look at the pic in my earlier post and set yourself in the seat in the back. Now think about a turn at speed, more of a pivot really, around say a tree. Woo Hoo!!. I can also put the deck in, under and around almost anything without me getting near it and only trim a couple of places once every few weeks. Even though the deck is over 5 feet wide, I can mow between scrubs and flowers that are only 24" apart without cutting into them.
Did I mention that its fun? I try to never say never, but I don't think I will ever own a standard type riding mower again, at least not on purpose.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #53
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

ZTR mowers FTW! those things make yard work FUCKING ENJOYABLE.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #54
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

We have a glide steer tractor. It's not quite a zero turn, but will circle a 5 gallon bucket. The nice part is that we can still put attachments on it unlike most ZTR. It's wonderful. It cute our mowing time from 4 hours to about 2, maybe not even that.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #55
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
My mowing time went from 5 hours, basically all day every Saturday, of every weekend, to 2 hours on Friday evening after work.

Holy crap! That is some serious commitment to landscaping... i've got about an acre and a half of actual grass, and i think i've mowed it six times in two years
(yet, somehow i STILL never have any free time...)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #56
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
You're with THD ?
Nevermind...not that important.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #57
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Cub Cadet Mowers. Price is a little higher, but the qaulity is top notch. My old man has a Cub Cadet ride on mower and push mower (for where the ride-on cant go), works flawlessly, and in its 3rd summer now, they've needed nothing more than an oil change. And we mow a lot of grass with it, yard is an acre and a half.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #58
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
Well here is a Husqvarna with a Honda engine from Sears - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...me=Push+Mowers

Here is a Craftsman with a Honda engine - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...37654&sLevel=0

My point was some guy at work bought a Home Depot mower with a Honda engine and everything but the engine has been replaced.
Huh, they don't carry those around here. I looked and couldn't find anything but a Briggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
ZTR mowers FTW! those things make yard work FUCKING ENJOYABLE.
Eh, I prefer a 4 wheel steer tractor. Turn almost as tight but more usable for other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #59
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

I looked at ZTR mowers, but every one that i found was over two grand... I just want to mow my lawn, i'm not starting a landscaping business
Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #60
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Should of bought a deere.
Should have hired the Mexicans outside of Walmart to cut his lawn!

Actually, don't you live in base housing? Just go to the housing office and borrow a mower when you need it.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote