Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #51
Sanchez
Too sweet to be sour

Moto: 2006 Buell Ulysses, 2006 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Oh, and if I'm using said connection, can my neighbor figure out what sites I'm viewing and what I'm typing, etc.?
The short answer is yes. Anything you send across an unsecured wireless network is visible not only to your neighbor but to everyone within range of your PC. Also, depending on what state you're in, it might be illegal. Some states have a malicious intent clause, and it's only a crime if you connect with the intention of causing harm. Others make the access illegal regardless of intent.

If you really want to have some fun, you should setup your own wireless router so his PC will connect to your network. Then you can alter his internet traffic. I'd go for something subtle like introducing occasional random profanity into his outgoing emails.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #52
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Apples are quantifiable... problem is, the performance lost is hard to measure... again, if they aren't being charged by bandwidth used... then good luck determining the punishment...
Apples are quantifiable, if you choose to quantify them. So is internet bandwidth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Is punishment the only question? Who gives a fuck if performance lost is hard to measure, it's still performance lost that wouldn't have been if you weren't stealing the guy's internet connection.

Sure, we generally don't pay by bandwidth used here, but we still only have so much per connection. If I'm paying for a connection, which has a certain limit of bandwidth due to physical realities, I expect to be able to use that full limit. I shouldn't have to secure my connection. The only reason I do is because of people who don't understand that stealing is wrong, no matter the scope.
I was thinking of theft of cable TV. They don't bother to figure out if you bothered to watch anything. It's too hard to quantify what you've used, so they just nail you with the maximum charge for basic service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
The short answer is yes. Anything you send across an unsecured wireless network is visible not only to your neighbor but to everyone within range of your PC. Also, depending on what state you're in, it might be illegal. Some states have a malicious intent clause, and it's only a crime if you connect with the intention of causing harm. Others make the access illegal regardless of intent.

If you really want to have some fun, you should setup your own wireless router so his PC will connect to your network. Then you can alter his internet traffic. I'd go for something subtle like introducing occasional random profanity into his outgoing emails.
I just found the answer WRT computer trespass in Indiana. No requirement for malicious intent.:

IC 35-43-2-3
Computer trespass
Sec. 3. (a) As used in this section:
"Access" means to:
(1) approach;
(2) instruct;
(3) communicate with;
(4) store data in;
(5) retrieve data from; or
(6) make use of resources of;
a computer, computer system, or computer network.
"Computer network" means the interconnection of communication lines or wireless telecommunications with a computer or wireless telecommunication device through:
(1) remote terminals;
(2) a complex consisting of two (2) or more interconnected computers; or
(3) a worldwide collection of interconnected networks operating as the Internet.
"Computer system" means a set of related computer equipment, software, or hardware.
(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally accesses:
(1) a computer system;
(2) a computer network; or
(3) any part of a computer system or computer network;
without the consent of the owner of the computer system or computer network, or the consent of the owner's licensee, commits computer trespass, a Class A misdemeanor.

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 01-22-2009 at 06:44 AM..
Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #53
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
Where does it end? When my wife was growing up they had an apricot tree in their back yard, which was fenced in with cinderblock (common in west Texas and New Mexico). The tree poked over the fence, and they tried to make it clear to their neighbors that any apricots over the fence were free to take. That wasn't enough, and she eventually lost count of how many people jumped the fence into their back yard to take apricots.

If you're going to use his internet connection, why not go ahead and splice off his cable? There's no lock on the wires, right? He must not care about cable security, and he'll never notice. Why not tap into his water line? I mean, he's already got to pay his own water bill anyway, he won't mind a little extra. And like I said, if he didn't want you to he would have locked that shit.

And next time he goes to the grocery store, might as well spring a couple bags when he leaves the trunk open. He would have closed it if he didn't want you to take anything.
Big difference is that there is no charge for bandwidth usage, whereas there is a charge for water and gas usage. Cable theft requires physical effort, cutting wires and splicing them, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
A failure to determine an appropriate punishment is a poor excuse for taking something that doesn't belong to you.

It's either yours or it isn't.

The fact that the Cap'n had to ask the question in the first place, would seem to suggest that he already has doubts, would it not?

In my experience, people who ask if they should get away with something, are just looking for validation from their peers as a way to assuage the guilt they're feeling.

JC
I asked the question mainly because I wanted to find out if he can view everything I'm doing. Based on the below response, he can, if he wants to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post

I would never do anything like that, unless I was pulling a simple prank on someone that I was great friends with and I would tell them about it shortly after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Apples are quantifiable, if you choose to quantify them. So is internet bandwidth.

I was thinking of theft of cable TV. They don't bother to figure out if you bothered to watch anything. It's too hard to quantify what you've used, so they just nail you with the maximum charge for basic service.

I just found the answer WRT computer trespass in Indiana. No requirement for malicious intent.:

IC 35-43-2-3
Computer trespass
Sec. 3. (a) As used in this section:
"Access" means to:
(1) approach;
(2) instruct;
(3) communicate with;
(4) store data in;
(5) retrieve data from; or
(6) make use of resources of;
a computer, computer system, or computer network.
"Computer network" means the interconnection of communication lines or wireless telecommunications with a computer or wireless telecommunication device through:
(1) remote terminals;
(2) a complex consisting of two (2) or more interconnected computers; or
(3) a worldwide collection of interconnected networks operating as the Internet.
"Computer system" means a set of related computer equipment, software, or hardware.
(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally accesses:
(1) a computer system;
(2) a computer network; or
(3) any part of a computer system or computer network;
without the consent of the owner of the computer system or computer network, or the consent of the owner's licensee, commits computer trespass, a Class A misdemeanor.
Edit: Found the link on Google. http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar43/ch2.html Guess I've been a criminal for the past few days. Time to get my own internet.

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 01-22-2009 at 12:33 PM..
Old 01-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #54
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Big difference is that there is no charge for bandwidth usage, whereas there is a charge for water and gas usage. Cable theft requires physical effort, cutting wires and splicing them, etc.

I asked the question mainly because I wanted to find out if he can view everything I'm doing. Based on the below response, he can, if he wants to.

I would never do anything like that, unless I was pulling a simple prank on someone that I was great friends with and I would tell them about it shortly after.

Edit: Found the link on Google. http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar43/ch2.html Guess I've been a criminal for the past few days. Time to get my own internet.
I'm going to call crime stoppers, turn you in and use the money towards a hot tub.

James
Old 01-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #55
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I'm going to call crime stoppers, turn you in and use the money towards a hot tub.

James
Ummmm.....what about a bike?

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #56
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Ummmm.....what about a bike?
If you can show me a way to get 7 half naked woman on a bike I'm there. Plus the bike cost more then the tub and after working all day digging holes in frozen ground and shoveling gravel my bike likes the hot tub idea the best.

James
Old 01-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #57
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
If you can show me a way to get 7 half naked woman on a bike I'm there. Plus the bike cost more then the tub and after working all day digging holes in frozen ground and shoveling gravel my bike likes the hot tub idea the best.

James
You can only fit five on one bike. It takes two bikes to fit 7.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #58
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
Old 01-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #59
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
See!!! Two bikes, insurance. 7 helmets (safe sex), possible road rash on my "gear"..

Hot tub less then half the price, swim suit optional, electrical bill and a smile.

James
Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #60
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
See!!! Two bikes, insurance. 7 helmets (safe sex), possible road rash on my "gear"..

Hot tub less then half the price, swim suit optional, electrical bill and a smile.

James
Actually two bikes, an EZ-Up canopy with a flashy race team name screened on it, one helmet (optional, if you don't actually race them), and a camera.
Closed Thread