Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #51
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

I like to see more scooters and scooter riders on the streets. We scooter riders are all about being green/socially responsible, leaving small carbon footprints while enjoying the fun of two-wheeled motion.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #52
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Actually,in my opinion,the image of the motorcyclist has greatly improved over the last few decades. Sure,people may view us as reckless,stupid,crazy,etc but they no longer view us as a threat like they used to in the 50s,60s,or even 70s. We're no longer portrayed as beer guzzling vagabonds tearing up small towns and terrorizing the citizens. As it stands,we are considered only dangerous to ourselves and quite frankly,that is the situation in most cases. Whether or not a guy wears a helmet,jacket,gloves,boots,etc,is a decision that will ultimately only affect him,his loved ones,etc. Of course,I agree that wearing proper riding attire is the intelligent way to ride but I don't always wear my full gear to ride and no amount of name calling or brow beating is going to persuade me to do so. If I choose to ride without a jacket,boots,gloves,etc,I have my reasons and I won't even attempt to justify myself to you. I don't have to.

On another note,I was going to start a poll using pictures and have members vote on who's a squid. I haven't gotten the right pics but I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Here are some examples of two-wheeled vehicle operators,all wearing helmets,jeans,t-shirt (A&F if it makes you happy),and Nike's,all going the same speed,on the same road. Pick the squid and why.

1. Guy on a GSXR1000

2. Guy on a Vespa

3. Guy on a Big Dog

4. Guy on a Spree

5. Guy on a Harley Davidson Electra-Glide

6. Guy on a DRZ-400E

7. Guy on a CBR954

Obviously,I've chosen a couple of these examples because some of the members of this forum have used pics of themselves operating their bikes in this state of dress and yet have either criticized other riders for their lack of equipment or remained silent while their compatriots have done so.

Anyway,discuss away,I'm honestly and sincerely very interested in the answers. Also,if you don't mind,I've never gotten a decent answer as to how my lack of equipment affects you personally... I mean public perception of riders or insurance rates don't cut it for me as reasons for you to be so upset about my personal decisions.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:25 PM   #53
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Actually,in my opinion,the image of the motorcyclist has greatly improved over the last few decades. Sure,people may view us as reckless,stupid,crazy,etc but they no longer view us as a threat like they used to in the 50s,60s,or even 70s. We're no longer portrayed as beer guzzling vagabonds tearing up small towns and terrorizing the citizens. As it stands,we are considered only dangerous to ourselves and quite frankly,that is the situation in most cases. Whether or not a guy wears a helmet,jacket,gloves,boots,etc,is a decision that will ultimately only affect him,his loved ones,etc. Of course,I agree that wearing proper riding attire is the intelligent way to ride but I don't always wear my full gear to ride and no amount of name calling or brow beating is going to persuade me to do so. If I choose to ride without a jacket,boots,gloves,etc,I have my reasons and I won't even attempt to justify myself to you. I don't have to.

On another note,I was going to start a poll using pictures and have members vote on who's a squid. I haven't gotten the right pics but I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Here are some examples of two-wheeled vehicle operators,all wearing helmets,jeans,t-shirt (A&F if it makes you happy),and Nike's,all going the same speed,on the same road. Pick the squid and why.

1. Guy on a GSXR1000

2. Guy on a Vespa

3. Guy on a Big Dog

4. Guy on a Spree

5. Guy on a Harley Davidson Electra-Glide

6. Guy on a DRZ-400E

7. Guy on a CBR954

Obviously,I've chosen a couple of these examples because some of the members of this forum have used pics of themselves operating their bikes in this state of dress and yet have either criticized other riders for their lack of equipment or remained silent while their compatriots have done so.

Anyway,discuss away,I'm honestly and sincerely very interested in the answers. Also,if you don't mind,I've never gotten a decent answer as to how my lack of equipment affects you personally... I mean public perception of riders or insurance rates don't cut it for me as reasons for you to be so upset about my personal decisions.
only douches on sportbikes are squids... mainly gixxers. other riders are just douches.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #54
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
only douches on sportbikes are squids... mainly gixxers. other riders are just douches.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #55
zerioustt
i like titties

Quote:
Originally Posted by comonboys View Post
Thats not what the guys here are saying..... First of all, us riders who take this seriously are sick of your posers asses out there doing stupid ass things on the street giving us who ride with common sense a bad name. Flip flops, A &f shorts and shirt and any other preppy, daddy's money spoiled piece of shit stuck up loser stuff you may have. We a jacket with proper boots, and a helmet to hold in what little brains you have when you crash from trying to impress that chick with the bottle blonde hair that probably has less clothes and brains then you.... Yeah, really impressive......
I think I speak for alot of people on here when I say..... I really don't think your that cool if that's how you wanna ride.
I honestly think that state laws should be changed to having to present your motorcycle endorsement with any purchase of a motorcycle.... Even private sales... Yes, I understand that alot of people would just go around it but to legally posses the title of a private sale or to buy one in a stealership, I understand that some people might want to just go in and take the test at the DMV or wherever your state does it, but if you haven't done that, you have to provide proof that you took the MSF.... IMO, something has to be done to better educate those out there riding.
i agree with the idiots who wear shorts. but when its 90 degrees outside im not wearing a jacket either, guess im a poser. just because you get your endorsement doesnt make you better then the next guy either, nor does a MSF its all in the rider and he/she's ability.

people who try to impress people are idiots in general. any stunting i do is for me and me only, most people who ride do it for the thrill and freedom of it. seems like most of the guys who dislike stunting are probably guys who cant or dont have the balls to try. like i said seems like alot of you believe youre better then others.
zerioustt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #56
comonboys
Ridin Naked. HMMMMM......

Moto: 650 SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerioustt View Post
i agree with the idiots who wear shorts. but when its 90 degrees outside im not wearing a jacket either, guess im a poser. just because you get your endorsement doesnt make you better then the next guy either, nor does a MSF its all in the rider and he/she's ability.

people who try to impress people are idiots in general. any stunting i do is for me and me only, most people who ride do it for the thrill and freedom of it. seems like most of the guys who dislike stunting are probably guys who cant or dont have the balls to try. like i said seems like alot of you believe youre better then others.
I agree it's all in the rider. What I am saying is I think people need to take the MSF to learn to ride properly.... I had been riding for 3 years before I took the MSF course. I still learned alot of things and learned how to correct things that I had been doing incorrectly. I felt that made me a much better rider that to just be ignorant and keep riding unsafely.... If we require people to take those precautions and they go and choose not to ride safely then its their own stupidity that will get them hurt. As for the stunting, I don't dislike it, I would love to try and learn to do some stuff however doing that stuff in the middle of the road with traffic is just plain fuking retarded.
Also I don't think I am better than any rider out there.... Alot of people could do laps around me.... I am just stating my own PERSONAL opionion. Take it or leave it.
comonboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #57
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:

It's your skin you can do what you want with it... but don't get all defensive when people call you a Squid... or an Idiot. same as if a football player decided to go out with out a helmet... or a S.C.U.B.A diver going with out a full tank... your going out ill prepared for the action your going to do.

there are Mesh jackets and pants that will keep you cool... and remember, once you have a skin graph... that section of skin no longer sweats... just think how hot you'll be then.

as for the guys that stunt... and I'm talking about the guys that do so on public roads, in traffic, showing off to anyone who's watching... well they 90% of the time fall in to the squid category as they're usually under dressed. and if it wasn't that when they go down they usually end up in the ER or morgue and then the headlines run with another Idiot biker.

again... if what those idiots did didn't affect anyone but themselves... then great... I'd be completely happy ignoring them as I ride by in my leathers on that 90* day. But the fact is... to the vast majority of the Public... there is only two types of bikers... Harley Riders... and Crotch Rocket riders. and neither are positive stereotypes.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #58
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
It's your skin you can do what you want with it... but don't get all defensive when people call you a Squid... or an Idiot. same as if a football player decided to go out with out a helmet... or a S.C.U.B.A diver going with out a full tank... your going out ill prepared for the action your going to do.

there are Mesh jackets and pants that will keep you cool... and remember, once you have a skin graph... that section of skin no longer sweats... just think how hot you'll be then.

as for the guys that stunt... and I'm talking about the guys that do so on public roads, in traffic, showing off to anyone who's watching... well they 90% of the time fall in to the squid category as they're usually under dressed. and if it wasn't that when they go down they usually end up in the ER or morgue and then the headlines run with another Idiot biker.

again... if what those idiots did didn't affect anyone but themselves... then great... I'd be completely happy ignoring them as I ride by in my leathers on that 90* day. But the fact is... to the vast majority of the Public... there is only two types of bikers... Harley Riders... and Crotch Rocket riders. and neither are positive stereotypes.
Back when men were men they did play football without helmets. In fact Australians call us pussies because we wear gear to play football. The gear craze is relatively new in motorcycling. When I was younger,almost no one wore "track gear" on the street. You'd get laughed at and run off. It's all in perception and from where you are currently standing. On the NC forum,it's almost unanimously agreed that the weather down here calls for riding without jackets,boots or gloves. I just rode with a bunch of guys in shorts and t-shirts to the coast. The funny thing is,for most guys,the less gear you have on,the safer you ride. When these guys have on all their gear,they are flying but when they don't,people in suvs are passing us.

Motorcycles always have had a "outlaw" mystique about them. If you want the public at large to love you,go buy a scooter or a Prius. You can't join a group with an established image and then complain about said image. It's irrational... Besides when a hot chick comes up to you and says,"Oh you ride a crotch rocket? You must be a bad boy,that's so sexy!". I'm sure you don't say," Gee whiz,I never break any laws and I always wear all of my safety gear when I ride."
Old 08-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #59
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Back when men were men they did play football without helmets. In fact Australians call us pussies because we wear gear to play football. The gear craze is relatively new in motorcycling. When I was younger,almost no one wore "track gear" on the street. You'd get laughed at and run off. It's all in perception and from where you are currently standing. On the NC forum,it's almost unanimously agreed that the weather down here calls for riding without jackets,boots or gloves. I just rode with a bunch of guys in shorts and t-shirts to the coast. The funny thing is,for most guys,the less gear you have on,the safer you ride. When these guys have on all their gear,they are flying but when they don't,people in suvs are passing us.

Motorcycles always have had a "outlaw" mystique about them. If you want the public at large to love you,go buy a scooter or a Prius. You can't join a group with an established image and then complain about said image. It's irrational... Besides when a hot chick comes up to you and says,"Oh you ride a crotch rocket? You must be a bad boy,that's so sexy!". I'm sure you don't say," Gee whiz,I never break any laws and I always wear all of my safety gear when I ride."
true... but as studies were done and safety equipment improved... so the risk went down... and Australian foot ball though an extremely physical sport... doesn't have the collisions that American foot ball does... yes there are the occasional rib breakers... but I'd love to see any of them play American football in the NFL with out pad and see them last more than one or two games.

as for the "most guys" statement... I seriously doubt that. yes maybe the guys you rode with were chill... law abiding riders... but I can't agree with the less gear you wear the safer you'll ride... it's BS

So your NC Forum is full of idiots then IMO... they're probably the same people who'd take off their helmets when they're in a state that doesn't require it. I'll be moving to MS here in March... and will probably be riding year round (with gas prices headed the way they are) and can't see riding with out some sort of gear... granted... it may go from leather to Textile... but I like my skin... and I like to sweat.

I'm not looking for the general public to love me... but I could do with out them hating me... hate is what brings on the legislation I spoke about earlier...

and yes... actually I do say I wear my gear all the time... when asked if I'm one of those guys on crotch rockets flying up and down the freeway... I don't need the "bad boy" mystique to land girls... I could care less what THOSE type of girls think of me... you can have'm
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:13 PM   #60
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:

Get a textile jacket to save your skin. I don't care if the heat index is 110, I'll have my gear on ( full face helmet, olympia textile armored jacket, high top leather boots& gloves) I would much rather sweat than bleed. It's your ass out on the bike. I won't feel a thing if you remove "acres" of your skin.

I don't stunt on the street, I've had my fun riding dirt bike when I learned how to ride. Plus the area I live has changed dramically in the last couple decades. The former good wheelie roads and now lined with houses. No longer safe to ride fast. Besides, the bike handles better with two wheels on the ground.

Jeff
48 years old with over 50K street miles
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote