Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 PM   #51
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
That's something I've always disliked...the attitude that an entertainer has "sold out" when they finally start making some money at what they do. It's like Beyonce,Taylor Swift,Nickelback,etc would have more credibility as musicians if less people bought their music.
You can make a lot of money and not be a sellout. People like Beyonce were born to sellout though, they never had viability as musicians. They are the court jesters of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM   #52
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You can make a lot of money and not be a sellout. People like Beyonce were born to sellout though, they never had viability as musicians. They are the court jesters of the world.
Aw I knew you were just being argumentative you old dog! I don't know and I suspect that neither do you,what Beyonce',Aguillera,etc went through before they were famous. My Dad was familiar with the Jackson family when we lived in Gary,Ind,they used to perform in laundromats for change. They struggled for many years and finally made it big. It's my opinion that as long as a performer keeps doing the type of music he started with,he can't be labeled a sell out when he makes it big.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:31 PM   #53
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
That's something I've always disliked...the attitude that an entertainer has "sold out" when they finally start making some money at what they do. It's like Beyonce,Taylor Swift,Nickelback,etc would have more credibility as musicians if less people bought their music.
Most musicians who make any serious money have sold their souls to do it. In their positions, who wouldn't? The only ones who bother me are the ones who try to make it look like they're 'edgy' and too 'cool' to sell out, when it's obviously exactly what they've done.

The difference between an artist that you think is a sell out and one that you think isn't, is usually whether you like that artist or not.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #54
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
I'm scared now!

Just kidding.

And whomever wrote something about Christina Aguilerra, she is NOT in the same category as Brit and Beyonce, etc. She actually has an amazing voice.
Christina Aguilerra does have an amazing voice... too bad she doesn't know how to use it... she murders songs with her "runs"

every time I hear her sing... I think... ok... just sing the fuck'n song... we all know you can sing... no need to prove your self with every song you sing.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #55
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
I hear ya... I've always thought it was a label the jealous artists that didn't get that break used to describe those that did. but in some cases it's true...

the other thing I found funny was when an artist try's something different... the ones that like it say she/he is expanding their range... if they don't like it it's they sold out.

One I found interesting was Rob Thomas... from Matchbox20. I know a lot of my friends... myself included loved Matchbox20... and bought Rob's Solo CD. wow was it different. Very Pop IMO... half my friends hated it... saying he sold out... the others thought it was alright... said he was just try'n something different. (none of us liked it completely ) I tend to lean towards sold out... just because it doesn't sound like the songs he wrote for Matchbox20.

but take Justin Timberlake... (some decent songs) I think he just progressed. he's still pop... very pop... but he progressed to something I think was more him. obviously that's all IMO as I don't know JT... though... I think he posts on here under the name CEO1-50 from time to time
Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #56
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
I hear ya... I've always thought it was a label the jealous artists that didn't get that break used to describe those that did. but in some cases it's true...

the other thing I found funny was when an artist try's something different... the ones that like it say she/he is expanding their range... if they don't like it it's they sold out.

One I found interesting was Rob Thomas... from Matchbox20. I know a lot of my friends... myself included loved Matchbox20... and bought Rob's Solo CD. wow was it different. Very Pop IMO... half my friends hated it... saying he sold out... the others thought it was alright... said he was just try'n something different. (none of us liked it completely ) I tend to lean towards sold out... just because it doesn't sound like the songs he wrote for Matchbox20.

but take Justin Timberlake... (some decent songs) I think he just progressed. he's still pop... very pop... but he progressed to something I think was more him. obviously that's all IMO as I don't know JT... though... I think he posts on here under the name CEO1-50 from time to time
I couldn't stand Justin in the boy band. But one day I heard a song and I said he is from what group? I couldn't believe it. After a while I liked it more and I really like his solo music.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #57
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I don't mind it... I think he's done well... not really sure if I consider him R&B like he's marketed as though... still think he's pop... though I think Usher is pop too...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:33 AM   #58
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I don't mind it... I think he's done well... not really sure if I consider him R&B like he's marketed as though... still think he's pop... though I think Usher is pop too...
I don't see them as pop. You don't really like Usher do you?

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #59
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

I don't mind usher.. though haven't listened to him since I had his album 8701 shortly after HS...

I just got tired of hearing his music EVERYWHERE... I used to sell and install car and home audio... and the radio stations killed alot of songs for me.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #60
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I don't mind usher.. though haven't listened to him since I had his album 8701 shortly after HS...

I just got tired of hearing his music EVERYWHERE... I used to sell and install car and home audio... and the radio stations killed alot of songs for me.
Ok I was just thinking you put most of the music you didn't like into the pop list.

I like Usher's music a lot. I'm listening to Trading Places right now.

James