Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #41
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
And what about the "computer trespass" aspect?

*EDIT* And are you SURE it doesn't work that way up there? After all, you don't have your own account

Its probably not that way there. The only places I know of that are that way are much smaller cities/towns. I know Cori ran into that problem when she moved from a city to the middle of nowhere.

Either way though, if you don't pay for a service or use the service that someone else is paying for, its still stealing, IMO.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #42
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
Its probably not that way there. The only places I know of that are that way are much smaller cities/towns. I know Cori ran into that problem when she moved from a city to the middle of nowhere.

Either way though, if you don't pay for a service or use the service that someone else is paying for, its still stealing, IMO.
I agree. If you walk into someone's back yard and take the apples off their tree for 5 years it doesn't matter if they never eat them, themselves. It's still stealing.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #43
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Yet another reason why my wireless network connection is secured

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #44
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I agree. If you walk into someone's back yard and take the apples off their tree for 5 years it doesn't matter if they never eat them, themselves. It's still stealing.
Apples are quantifiable... problem is, the performance lost is hard to measure... again, if they aren't being charged by bandwidth used... then good luck determining the punishment...
Old 01-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #45
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Where does it end? When my wife was growing up they had an apricot tree in their back yard, which was fenced in with cinderblock (common in west Texas and New Mexico). The tree poked over the fence, and they tried to make it clear to their neighbors that any apricots over the fence were free to take. That wasn't enough, and she eventually lost count of how many people jumped the fence into their back yard to take apricots.

If you're going to use his internet connection, why not go ahead and splice off his cable? There's no lock on the wires, right? He must not care about cable security, and he'll never notice. Why not tap into his water line? I mean, he's already got to pay his own water bill anyway, he won't mind a little extra. And like I said, if he didn't want you to he would have locked that shit.

And next time he goes to the grocery store, might as well spring a couple bags when he leaves the trunk open. He would have closed it if he didn't want you to take anything.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #46
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Apples are quantifiable... problem is, the performance lost is hard to measure... again, if they aren't being charged by bandwidth used... then good luck determining the punishment...
Is punishment the only question? Who gives a fuck if performance lost is hard to measure, it's still performance lost that wouldn't have been if you weren't stealing the guy's internet connection.

Sure, we generally don't pay by bandwidth used here, but we still only have so much per connection. If I'm paying for a connection, which has a certain limit of bandwidth due to physical realities, I expect to be able to use that full limit. I shouldn't have to secure my connection. The only reason I do is because of people who don't understand that stealing is wrong, no matter the scope.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 PM   #47
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

So let me ask those of you who don't think this is an issue because the connection isn't secure. Last week I went shopping and one of the things I put in my basket was short curtain rods. I thought I had put all my stuff on the counter, cashier rung me up, I paid, and pushed my cart out of the store. When I started to take my things out of the cart, I realized I hadn't seen, thus not taken out and paid for, the curtain rods. Would it have been OK for me to just leave without paying since the cashier didn't notice either? Would it be HER fault if I chose to be dishonest because she missed something?

(FWIW, I went back in and paid for them.)
Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #48
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post

(FWIW, I went back in and paid for them.)
Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #49
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

A failure to determine an appropriate punishment is a poor excuse for taking something that doesn't belong to you.

It's either yours or it isn't.

The fact that the Cap'n had to ask the question in the first place, would seem to suggest that he already has doubts, would it not?

In my experience, people who ask if they should get away with something, are just looking for validation from their peers as a way to assuage the guilt they're feeling.

JC
Old 01-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #50
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
During the NFL regular season, me and a few buddies go up to Buffalo Wild wings every Monday night and they are constantly checking their fantasy stats during the game. God damn losers. LOL
Off-topic, but I was visiting family in MI about 6-7 years ago and checked out a new BWW. I asked what their hottest wings were, and had a big plate of their Blazin' wings.

I think my tongue is still a little swollen but most of the feeling has returned to my lips. I never knew pain had a taste...
Closed Thread