Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #41
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Is this one of those Trip-like arguments where you say stupid shit to stand ground on something you don't believe in just for the sake of arguing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
Throttle will kick you off on either bike. The 12r with its extra weight and stability would actually be a better bike to fuck up the braking part on.
If you screw up braking on a 12r, you now have MORE weight out of control, be it too hot into a turn or headed toward the pavement because you hit the binders in a turn. And the 12r throttle response and torque is far different than a 600.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #42
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Is this one of those Trip-like arguments where you say stupid shit to stand ground on something you don't believe in just for the sake of arguing?

If you screw up braking on a 12r, you now have MORE weight out of control, be it too hot into a turn or headed toward the pavement because you hit the binders in a turn. And the 12r throttle response and torque is far different than a 600.
A GSXR1000 weighs maybe 15lbs more than a SV650... I went through a corner at least twice as fast as a newer rider on a SV a couple of weeks ago,I made it he didn't,why? Of course experience was at work but it has always been my contention that the inferior suspension and brakes on "starter" bikes can also be to blame....

As far as the OP goes...whether I'm selling you a bike or a gun,it is not my responsibility to make sure you know how to handle it.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #43
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I took the MSF course and the next day ran the Isle of Man TT. I won the fucker on a Ninja250 in the 1000cc class. That guy was my teacher.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #44
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I've owned a 12r...actually the bike if very easy to ride. I would say go for it!!

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #45
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
A GSXR1000 weighs maybe 15lbs more than a SV650... I went through a corner at least twice as fast as a newer rider on a SV a couple of weeks ago,I made it he didn't,why? Of course experience was at work but it has always been my contention that the inferior suspension and brakes on "starter" bikes can also be to blame....

As far as the OP goes...whether I'm selling you a bike or a gun,it is not my responsibility to make sure you know how to handle it.
Gixxer and SV are in two different classes of sport bike, but I'd be willing to be had you been on the SV, you would've made it. I doubt either of you are riding near the limits of either bike.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #46
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

playing devil's advocate a bit here but the 12r is a hefty beast at around 550 wet and makes around 160 hp. a 600rr comes in at about 430 and 106 and for fairness sake my 954 is approximately 430 and 150. given a 200lb rider and some quick math we get a weight to power ratio for the 12 of 4.7, the 600 gets a 6.0 and the 954 rocks the clocks at a 4.2. the blade isint exactly the most hardcore bike in the litre class either. its theoretically possible if the guy isint a fuck head

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
It's kinda both.

It's a conflict of interest NOT that it's his own bike, but that as an MSF instructor, you should, in short, practice what you preach. You wouldn't advise a classroom of newbies to go out and buy liter bikes, so don't turn around and try to sell him your own. He's compromising the principles he's teaching more than anything.
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #47
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Gixxer and SV are in two different classes of sport bike, but I'd be willing to be had you been on the SV, you would've made it. I doubt either of you are riding near the limits of either bike.
Oh of course not....I'm sure that you'll agree that the GSXR,any GSXR has far better brakes and suspension than any "starter bike",the Sv included.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #48
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh of course not....I'm sure that you'll agree that the GSXR,any GSXR has far better brakes and suspension than any "starter bike",the Sv included.
thus the mad rush to throw gsxr parts on peoples sv's
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
thus the mad rush to throw gsxr parts on peoples sv's

That reminds me that I have forks and a shock to sell one of these days....

My only point such as it is,is that almost all crashes I've ever seen on the street resulted from injudicious use of the brakes and/or coming into a corner to hot for the rider (not necessarily the bike). In over 25 years of riding,I've only high sided once on the street...
Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #50
The Awesome
Custom User Title

The problem is you don't have to be able to ride, or know anything about riding for that matter, to be an MSF instructor. The MSF is a joke, and it should not be assumed that just because someone is playing the role of teacher that they have any business being there. My MSF instructors were some of the worst riders I've seen to this day.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote