Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #41
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
No. I don't give a fuck how it works. That's what YOU aren't getting.

The fact is, I do understand how the law works, and the law says that they have to buy back your current.

As to "how" it's done...I really don't care. The fact remains that it IS done every single day, and that a number of approved systems already exist that CAN do this - so I don't NEED to know HOW.

Got it? I'm not looking to reinvent the fucking wheel here.

I need to know if a typical approved system would still be profitable to operate without the panels (ie. only as a "bank" of current).

If this is beyond your ken, say so...it's well beyond mine.

But my question is not one of HOW, it's one of efficiency and ROI on a panel-less system.
what the hell Federal Mandate states that the utility HAS to buy the current back? Cause last time I checked, you don't have to have electricity. You can actually opt out of buying power from the utility, and go completely self-sufficient. So where on God's green earth did you read an ACTUAL law that states some one has to buy anything from you.

I am not from Missouri but you need to SHOW ME that F'in law in writing.

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #42
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20003421-54.html

"BYD has also designed grid storage units that can store power made at off-peak times for local distribution."

Now, add that technology to the solar panel systems that sell unused power back to the grid, you you MAY being to understand WTF it is I'm speaking of.

I say you CAN "game" the fucking system, and make money with a bank of nothing more than batteries, by selling the current back at peak hours.

Now, I just wanna know where the break-even mark is, and whether it's practical.

Now, if anyone who actually knows what the fuck it is I'm even talking about can help with the idea, please do, if not, please stop telling me how fucking stupid "I" am.

Last edited by Avatard; 07-21-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #43
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20003421-54.htmlI say you CAN "game" the fucking system, and make money with a bank of nothing more than batteries, by selling the current back at peak hours.
IF you charge at non-peak hours when it's cheap and IF the company buys it back DURING the peak hours.

However, they don't have to buy it back from you at peak just because you want to sell it to them at peak.

That was trip's point, but apparently you can't understand that. Is it really THAT fucking difficult to understand? Just because YOU want to sell it at peak, doesn't mean it's going to be bought at peak. Does that make sense, or do I need to figure out a different way to say it?
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #44
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Point is: Just because you CAN sell something, doesn't mean someone NEEDS it. Your "right" to sell power is meaningless if the utility doesn't need it.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #45
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:

"BYD has also designed grid storage units that can store power made at off-peak times for local distribution."

Now, add that technology to the solar panel systems that sell unused power back to the grid, you you MAY being to understand WTF it is I'm speaking of.

I say you CAN "game" the fucking system, and make money with a bank of nothing more than batteries, by selling the current back at peak hours.

Now, I just wanna know where the break-even mark is, and whether it's practical.

Now, if anyone who actually knows what the fuck it is I'm even talking about can help with the idea, please do, if not, please stop telling me how fucking stupid "I" am.
"BYD has also designed grid storage units that can store power made at off-peak times for local distribution. An 800-kilowatt system, which fits into a tractor trailer, costs $450,000, Austin said."

That isn't a cheap system.

I think you need to look at what Trip is saying. If your area has no problem making enough power there might not be anything to sell. Cali seems like a good place for something like this if they are still having energy problems.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #46
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:

God damn, how many times do I have to say it. Captain gets it. The grid will still have to need it, to actually use it. These tractor trailer systems are peakers. They use them during peak times in areas that NEED peakers. Does your area need peakers? This is information you haven't told me or know for yourself. Find out more about your area, does your utility need the power or is it selling power to other utilities. If it is selling more than it is buying, there is a good chance you won't be providing all of the juice from your batteries to a load that will make you money. Your amperage doesn't just get magically used and the company pays you for it. It needs a computer, a air conditioner, a toaster, etc... for it to be consumed.

The biggest bang for your buck will come from somewhere that has issues providing power to it's customers and relies on buying from outside. New York City is a prime spot that just devours power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 07-21-2010 at 10:33 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #47
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
God damn, how many times do I have to say it. Captain gets it. The grid will still have to need it, to actually use it. These tractor trailer systems are peakers. They use them during peak times in areas that NEED peakers. Does your area need peakers? This is information you haven't told me or know for yourself. Find out more about your area, does your utility need the power or is it selling power to other utilities. If it is selling more than it is buying, there is a good chance you won't be providing all of the juice from your batteries to a load that will make you money. Your amperage does just get magically used and the company pays you for it. It needs a computer, a air conditioner, a toaster, etc... for it to be consumed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg (203.5 KB, 22 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #48
Trip
Hold mah beer!

she scares me
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #49
Flexin
AMA Supersport

If there is an affordable system that can provide more then what you can use and your in an area that can use it then that might work. If the system can be set to use off peak rates (I think here the off peak rates are just during the winter but I could be wrong) and then run your house from it using the cheap power you bought. That will save you some money there which doesn't put money in your pocket but it takes less out. Then you might make some off of power that is sold to the power company.

I think you said you wanted to not use it and just sell it but if your using it during peak times then is pretty much the same thing.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:45 PM   #50
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I think you said you wanted to not use it and just sell it but if your using it during peak times then is pretty much the same thing.

James
that would be correct, they pay you off a net meter. Any usage you had would be subtracted from what you put on the system. You would have to build a system that had the ability to offset your own usage. It could pay off if you invested a lot of money initially, had the ability to maintain it, and lived in a good area for it.
Quote: