Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #41
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Really, then why do MotoGP, Formula 1, and nearly all major motorsport series feature vehicles with a much greater ratio of HP to torque than anything available on the street? Because they have to build engines that keep breathing and keep revving in order to acheive higher top speeds.

If torque was all that was necessary, they'd be using tractor engines.
Don't watch motogp. Ever been to drag races? All about torque there.

I'm trying to remember the other old saying...

Something like

Torque moves you off the line, hp pushes you thru the gates or finish line...
or
Torque takes you ### mph, hp licks your asshole...

nope can't remember

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:22 AM   #42
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Really, then why do MotoGP, Formula 1, and nearly all major motorsport series feature vehicles with a much greater ratio of HP to torque than anything available on the street? Because they have to build engines that keep breathing and keep revving in order to acheive higher top speeds.

If torque was all that was necessary, they'd be using tractor engines.
And if it was all about horsepower, you could take a motor with 10 lbs/ft og torque and if you spin it fast enough, it will make 220hp. Will that win races?
Torque is the twisting force applied to the transmission from the crankshaft. HP is a function of torque at a given RPM.(were you sleeping earlier in the thread?)
Old 11-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #43
mutley
Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
And if it was all about horsepower, you could take a motor with 10 lbs/ft og torque and if you spin it fast enough, it will make 220hp. Will that win races?
Torque is the twisting force applied to the transmission from the crankshaft. HP is a function of torque at a given RPM.(were you sleeping earlier in the thread?)
lol would heve said the same but but there is a limet of space on this server.

They say Life is a waste of Time, and Time is a waste of Life....so let's all get wasted and have the time of our lives !!

I've been dating this girl for a year and now the nagging starts.." I wanna know your name !" and things like that... :-(

everyone has the right to be stupid.....I just abuse the privilege !
mutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #44
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Everyone realizes it's a function of torque. It's been repeated over and over. Everyone knows the formula. I never said torque wasn't important, in fact you can't have HP without torque. Everyone knows that. All I'm saying is the engine is selected based on the application. If all you want to do is pull heavy loads, and you don't care about top speed, then get a semi-tractor. But for racing? Sorry that won't work.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #45
mutley
Kneedragger

Quote:
Everyone realizes it's a function of torque. It's been repeated over and over. Everyone knows the formula. I never said torque wasn't important, in fact you can't have HP without torque. Everyone knows that. All I'm saying is the engine is selected based on the application. If all you want to do is pull heavy loads, and you don't care about top speed, then get a semi-tractor. But for racing? Sorry that won't work.
Not worred about top speed 70 to 80 is fine

They say Life is a waste of Time, and Time is a waste of Life....so let's all get wasted and have the time of our lives !!

I've been dating this girl for a year and now the nagging starts.." I wanna know your name !" and things like that... :-(

Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #46
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Speed is a factor of torque rpm and gearing.
The torque turns the transmission, the transmission multiplys the torque(not the HP) at a certain RPM and this creates speed.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #47
mutley
Kneedragger

Quote:
Speed is a factor of torque rpm and gearing.
The torque turns the transmission, the transmission multiplys the torque(not the HP) at a certain RPM and this creates speed.
Would like diesel but got petrol so will have to live with it but once shes upto a 2.1lt 4 cy x 2 there be over 260 bhp + around 200ft + of torque she should pull from 3rd or 4th quite easley id have thought ?

Old 11-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #48
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I love both...just one more than the other at different times. I love torque around town and hp out on the open road.

My Vette has excellent torque way down low in the rpm range which makes it such a nice hot little street car. The supercharger I picked for it was for the street therefore great torque but not really high peak HP.

The little Neon SRT-4 in the garage has good torque for a little 4 banger...I was really surprised with how much it has. Most little 4 bangers are torque deficient like the Honda S2000 however the Honda makes up for it with the higher revving engine since it winds all the way to 9k rpm. Of course the Honda is a nicer car period...not even talking about that.

The R1 has a little torque being a litre bike but not really much to brag about but the hp is excellent.

The R6 plain and simple lacks torque...wind that baby up and it will stroll...good track bike.

The boat...all about the torque with that one.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #49
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Don't watch motogp. Ever been to drag races? All about torque there.
This must be the reason Busas get beat so bad by Harleys at the drag strip.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:36 AM   #50
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Man, you just have to stop.

THE fastest drag bikes are indeed Harley's.. Top fuel v twins ftw.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote