Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #41
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Use the chewbacca defense, works every time LOL
Or take a shit on the bench. Juries LOVE that.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #42
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Or take a shit on the bench. Juries LOVE that.
that can go either way, depends on what you had for dinner the night before
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #43
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Damn. I've been thinking about it, and I really have no shot at ever getting on a jury.

- Ride a motorcycle
- Computer geek
- Moderator in the Law and Highway Traffic Act section of a bulletin board
- Occasional contributor to an online magazine
- Work at a university
- Have a rather extensive collection of SciFi, Fantasy, and Religious books
- Have a history of playing Role Playing Games, like Dungeons and Dragons
- Have been involved in an attempt to unionize Federal contractors
- Have been involved in a protest, at the Provincial Legislature
- Have written several (many?) letters to legislators
- Own firearms
- Own archery equipment
- Own several swords and knives

All that needs to be added is killing small neighbourhood animals, and they'd think I should be the one on the docket.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #44
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
So approximately two years ago, I was in a car wreck where I rear-ended another car in stop and go traffic at a light.
This sort of BS makes me nervous. In June, a woman made a left turn in front of me, causing a very minor collision, but because she was driving a mail carrier, the State Patrol listed me at fault. As soon as she got her hands on the police report, she filed a claim against my insurance for an "injury." As far as I know, however, they have yet to award her anything (even though they did immediately jack up my premium).

I'm afraid that even if they do pay her damages, she will still come after me directly, and that I could be surprised with a lawsuit at virtually any time within the next few years.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #45
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
This sort of BS makes me nervous. In June, a woman made a left turn in front of me, causing a very minor collision, but because she was driving a mail carrier, the State Patrol listed me at fault. As soon as she got her hands on the police report, she filed a claim against my insurance for an "injury." As far as I know, however, they have yet to award her anything (even though they did immediately jack up my premium).

I'm afraid that even if they do pay her damages, she will still come after me directly, and that I could be surprised with a lawsuit at virtually any time within the next few years.
Your insurance company acts for you, in such matters. If they pay her off then they'll be getting her to sign off on anything future against you, so she won't be able to come after you personally. That's why you HAVE insurance.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #46
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Well, apparently my peers weren't as bright as I had hoped they were.

My lawyer told me they would bring in 18 jurors, and each side would get to remove 3. My lawyer removed two people who were chronic lawsuit types, and one girl who was a single 25 yr old stay at home mom of 5?!

Their lawyer removed a COO for an electronics firm, a Professional Engineer, and a Law Professor.

Most of the day was spent going over inconsistencies in her statements to various doctors. I was on the stand for all of 30 minutes to talk about the damage to my car and her car.

The jury was out for 50 minutes. By a vote of 10-2, they decided to award her the medical bills of $10,200, and lost wages of $500.

Her lawyer left the pain and suffering amount up to the jury, and they awarded her exactly $0.

I was in the elevator with two jurors as we left, and since they were no longer restricted from talking to me, asked a couple of questions. I answered and they said they felt they made a fair decision and purposefully decided not to give her pain and suffering since they also felt she was in this for the money. Guess they wanted to at least pay the medical for her. *shrug*

Since they awarded her the medical bills and lost wages, I guess her lawyer will be negotiating her bills down to cover whatever his fee is.

My insurance company totally went to bat for me on this, and is paying the $10,700. Overall, I'm annoyed she got what she did. It was *probably* more fair than nothing at all, but I'm damn sure glad it's over.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #47
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

The judgment didn't specify "and legal costs"? Her lawyer screwed up.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #48
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Well, apparently my peers weren't as bright as I had hoped they were.

My lawyer told me they would bring in 18 jurors, and each side would get to remove 3. My lawyer removed two people who were chronic lawsuit types, and one girl who was a single 25 yr old stay at home mom of 5?!

Their lawyer removed a COO for an electronics firm, a Professional Engineer, and a Law Professor.

Most of the day was spent going over inconsistencies in her statements to various doctors. I was on the stand for all of 30 minutes to talk about the damage to my car and her car.

The jury was out for 50 minutes. By a vote of 10-2, they decided to award her the medical bills of $10,200, and lost wages of $500.

Her lawyer left the pain and suffering amount up to the jury, and they awarded her exactly $0.

I was in the elevator with two jurors as we left, and since they were no longer restricted from talking to me, asked a couple of questions. I answered and they said they felt they made a fair decision and purposefully decided not to give her pain and suffering since they also felt she was in this for the money. Guess they wanted to at least pay the medical for her. *shrug*

Since they awarded her the medical bills and lost wages, I guess her lawyer will be negotiating her bills down to cover whatever his fee is.

My insurance company totally went to bat for me on this, and is paying the $10,700. Overall, I'm annoyed she got what she did. It was *probably* more fair than nothing at all, but I'm damn sure glad it's over.
Seems fair to me if she had medical bills totaling that much. You hit her, it's your fault. If it was a back injury, that shit adds up fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 12-05-2011 at 09:59 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #49
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Seems fair to me if she had medical bills totaling that much. You hit her, it's your fault.
Unless those medical bills were to try and support non existent injuries, of course.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #50
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Seems fair to me if she had medical bills totaling that much. You hit her, it's your fault. If it was a back injury, that shit adds up fast.
I'm the first one to say she has every right to be reimbursed for fair costs incurred.

Obviously, there is far more than I have time to go into here, and y'all don't care that much, but there were huge inconsistencies in what she complained about compared to what she was treated for, etc.

And Rob, he didn't ask for lawyer fees. I think he was banking on some pain and suffering cash to get his 1/3 cut out of. *shrug*