Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #41
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post

because like I said before... the government ALOWES YOU to have the PRIVLIGE of operating a motorvehicle on public roads... it is NOT A RIGHT... and so your subject to what ever regulations they put forth. so... like I asked before... what about the speed limit? or requirements for your vehicle to be smog or inspected? are they infringing on having your rights there?
ALLOWS ME the privilege of operating on public road of which is paid for by MY TAX DOLLARS?

Puh-leeze.

Headlights are there so that you won't run into others or others run into you.

Helmets do neither. Wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet doesn't directly affect those around you.

I don't need no stinking law to wear a helmet. And if I were to choose not to, by God, that's what I should be able to do.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #42
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
ALLOWS ME the privilege of operating on public road of which is paid for by MY TAX DOLLARS?

Puh-leeze.

Headlights are there so that you won't run into others or others run into you.

Helmets do neither. Wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet doesn't directly affect those around you.

I don't need no stinking law to wear a helmet. And if I were to choose not to, by God, that's what I should be able to do.
yes... they allow you to. if you don't follow the rules... you can be ticketed... arrested... even thrown in jail...

you may not agree with it... but it's true.

as for the headlights... my point in bringing that up was it's a requirement on a product YOU bought with YOUR money... yet with out them... the vehicle/bike is not allowed on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
YAY!!!! See? I don't seem quite so bad now,do I? Hahahahahaha!
very true
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #43
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
true... but when they allow people to sue for basicly being an idiot... like law suits against the home owners by the crook who broke his leg when he broke in to their house... ect... you gotta cover your ass... the government too.

I really don't care... if the government wants to tell me that I need to wear a helmet... great... your an idiot if you don't. and I understand everyone saying that the government should regulate my choices... but the fact remains driving/riding... is a PRIVLEGE... not a right. so the requirements for so are part of accepting that privlege. if you don't want to wear a helmet or wear a seatbelt... don't ride a bike or in a car. Period.
Again... The government shouldn't be in the business of protecting us from ourselves. It's a slippery slope once we start allowing the government this sort of power... First helmet laws... the seatbelts... now the government is in the business of telling us what food we can and cannot eat... What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaded View Post
Mandating PERSONAL safety. I can slow down and use smaller words if you're having this much difficulty following along... really...

I, no, need, gubbee-min, tell, me, how, live, life.

Did that help?

Ok, so it appears you ARE having difficulty following along. Allow me to help you by selecting a different activity. We'll use riding an ATV on private property as an example (because you clearly cannot comprehend this situation from the previous given examples and are trying to steer the conversation away from the subject.)

So, where were we? ATVs! Yes. So, why should it be illegal for one to purchase, own and operate ATVs or (since I am speaking slowly and clearly for you) any other kind of offroad vehicle on my OWN private land without the governments consent to helmet laws. Hrmmm....?

Same thing in public. If some squid wants to take himself out, why shouldn't he be free too? Yeah yeah, cry about your insurance- easy enough, just put acheckbox on the insurance application saying "I do not wear a helmet 100% of the time when I ride."

But right under it, put another checkbox that reads "Pull the plug when I am veggie."

In the future, lets hope we have a better say in government. Maybe in the future true citizens and patriots will alleviate some of this reckless spending of public funds on asshole politicians who sit around waging war and conjuring up bullshit- like helmet laws.

~

Actually, you know what, I'm just going to unsubscribe from this one. You can bother answering me, but I fear that you're just not smart enough to get it. Best of luck staying in line with the other sheep.

Have fun doing whatever the government tells you!
Jesus. Who dropped a duece in your Cheerios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
YAY!!!! See? I don't seem quite so bad now,do I? Hahahahahaha!
It's all relative.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:12 AM   #44
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Again... The government shouldn't be in the business of protecting us from ourselves. It's a slippery slope once we start allowing the government this sort of power... First helmet laws... the seatbelts... now the government is in the business of telling us what food we can and cannot eat... What's next?
so what about Headlights... or bumpers... or air bags... or the million of other safety requirements the government places on us to operate a motor vehicle on the public streets?

are those all rights or freedoms that were take'n away?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #45
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
so what about Headlights... or bumpers... or air bags... or the million of other safety requirements the government places on us to operate a motor vehicle on the public streets?

are those all rights or freedoms that were take'n away?
It's not a matter of freedom per say... it's a matter of legislating away people's ability to make good decisions... I should have the ability to make poor decisions as long as those decisions do not bring about harm to anyone else...

It's like a parent/child relationship... You can make all the decisions for your kids, but at some point in time they are going to have to stand on their own two feet... allowing someone to suffer the consequences of poor decisions is part of the learning process... Same with our government... our society in general. We're making ourselves dumber and dumber because of our dependance on our government.

I don't think there should be seatbelt laws. I don't think there should be helmet laws. I don't think drugs should be illegal. I wear my seatbelt... I wear my helmet... I don't do drugs... I'll be damned if I want/need my government telling me how to take care of myself.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #46
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

ok... I can see your point with that... though I will dissagree I think there needs to be SOME guidelines or you end up with anarchy...

it was the rights/freedom taking away argument I just don't understand
Old 11-22-2008, 10:39 AM   #47
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
ok... I can see your point with that... though I will dissagree I think there needs to be SOME guidelines or you end up with anarchy...

it was the rights/freedom taking away argument I just don't understand
Shouldn't you have the right to learn to make good decisions?

I am a big fan of anarchy... People use the word like it's a bad thing...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #48
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:

Jesus. Who dropped a duece in your Cheerios?

It's all relative.
they are already starting it, have you seen that fucking gonna vote myself a third term bloomberg is trying to force new yorkers to lower their salt intake? government regulating the ingredients in food is fucking insanity
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #49
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
they are already starting it, have you seen that fucking gonna vote myself a third term bloomberg is trying to force new yorkers to lower their salt intake? government regulating the ingredients in food is fucking insanity
I know... Total bullshit.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #50
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Shouldn't you have the right to learn to make good decisions?

I am a big fan of anarchy... People use the word like it's a bad thing...
but the rules like wearing a helmet are the same as a hand rail and a do not enter sign on a cliff edge... there's no doubt what that choice is a bad one. no positive comes from it... even if your not killed your severely injured. and ask anyone who's gone down with out a helmet... I'm sure all of them... the ones that lived... will say they're gonna wear a helmet next time... that's if they fair well enough to have the choice.

the reason for laws like these is this mistake is so FINAL. it's one thing to make a bad decision about lunch and pay for it by shitting your pants in a meeting. it's another to give in to peer pressure and not wear a helmet, get in an accident at the very best have a nasty scar and maybe a concussion... at worst... death.

because with out rules you can not have a society... we wouldn't have 99% of what we have today. no roads, no cities, we'd basically be cavemen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
now that is bs