Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #41
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Yeah, the "PC shuttle" as my wife calls it is a pain in the ass, but still way faster than driving! The round trip normally takes 20 gallons of avgas, if I have to do the shuttle it takes about 5 gallons more.

I have five perch and one walleye in the freezer I caught ice fishing in February, can't get enough!
Oh, yea. Its about 3 hours from Columbus too. Or 2 1/2 with my foot. The hawk does it in about 45-50 minutes depending on wind. His twin prop Baron would do it in 32 minutes. Now that was cooking....

You got me hungry now. Or neighbor has this secret recipe batter for each perch and walleye, and they are both better than I've ever had at a restaurant. Especially the perch...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #42
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but I can't fly as often as I would like due to the shitty weather and work. I really need to fly at least twice per week to retain any muscle memory. And the cost is no joke either. Approximately $175 per hour for the plane and instructor. Its nice to see so many other flyers (plane or otherwise).
Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #43
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #44
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6doublefive321 View Post
I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but I can't fly as often as I would like due to the shitty weather and work. I really need to fly at least twice per week to retain any muscle memory. And the cost is no joke either. Approximately $175 per hour for the plane and instructor. Its nice to see so many other flyers (plane or otherwise).
I know what you mean about the muscle memory. If I don't fly for awhile I ribbon with my altitude.

I was very close to entering osu's flight school about three years back. My buddy did it. He got his personal and commercial flight licenses, as well as an airport management degree. He was also on their competition flight team that went to nationals this year. He was looking for a freight pilot spot in a major company, but the number of jobs just isn't there. He is joining the military to fly some big ass planes there.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #45
Bryan
Trailer Queen

Quote:
Good God dude...I think you are getting ripped off. I know location is a lot, but even by me in Ft Wayne, the 2nd largest city in Indiana, you can rent a 172 or Cherokee for around $100 /hr, plus the $35/hr for the instructor. Might be worth it to drive 30-45 mins out of town to get a cheaper rate. You are definatly spot on trying to fly at least twice a week...good job!

When I started in 2002, I was renting a Cessna 150 for $35/hr and the instructor was $20/hr, at a little po-dunk county airport in the middle of nowhere! Man how times have changed!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM   #46
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Good God dude...I think you are getting ripped off. I know location is a lot, but even by me in Ft Wayne, the 2nd largest city in Indiana, you can rent a 172 or Cherokee for around $100 /hr, plus the $35/hr for the instructor. Might be worth it to drive 30-45 mins out of town to get a cheaper rate. You are definatly spot on trying to fly at least twice a week...good job!

When I started in 2002, I was renting a Cessna 150 for $35/hr and the instructor was $20/hr, at a little po-dunk county airport in the middle of nowhere! Man how times have changed!
From looking in to it a little bit around here it seems to vary quite a lot, but $175 for a wet rental and instructor isn't that unreasonable. If a person is fine with steam gauges the hourly cost can get under that price but not everywhere and I've seen a few schools in the area that don't even have that option. All their planes have G-1000 panels. I can only guess that fuel and insurance costs are playing a part as well. Fuel costs for an hour in that 150 would probably be around $35 on its own right now. The other issue is location. The closest airport to me wants damn near $200/hour for plane and instructor while an hour or hour and a half away its in the $140-$150 range for a similar aircraft.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #47
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Man, I'd have loved to have had the option to rent something with glass panels. I think the most advanced instrument in any of the planes I rented was a GPS with a text-only display (no map). I think I paid about $125/hr wet about 10 years ago in Sacramento for a 172.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #48
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Quote:

Welcome to Metro Atlanta, my friend. Wet 172 = $125 / hour, senior instructor = $49 / hour. These were the lowest rates on the NW side of Atlanta. I looked for a few months for a private CFI looking to build hours, but they aren't out there.

At first I thought $49 / hour for the CFI was ridiculous, but then I asked myself how much I would charge for someone trying to kill me several times per day. CFI is NOT a job that I envy.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #49
Bryan
Trailer Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
You got me hungry now. Or neighbor has this secret recipe batter for each perch and walleye, and they are both better than I've ever had at a restaurant. Especially the perch...
Any chance you can pry that recipe out of your neighbors head?
Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #50
Bryan
Trailer Queen

Quote:
Welcome to Metro Atlanta, my friend. Wet 172 = $125 / hour, senior instructor = $49 / hour. These were the lowest rates on the NW side of Atlanta. I looked for a few months for a private CFI looking to build hours, but they aren't out there.

At first I thought $49 / hour for the CFI was ridiculous, but then I asked myself how much I would charge for someone trying to kill me several times per day. CFI is NOT a job that I envy.
Wow...thats all I have to say!

I used to land at Winder GA for gas on my to Florida, nice little place. Ever been by there?