Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #41
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Good thing there's nothing in the fucking middle between NY and LA, huh (I guess)? Keep's dem folks safe, I reckon.

I mean, take the Schuylkill expressway in PA, along the main line (Route 76).

Typical speeds are about 65-75. Think a slightly more stretched out "Deals Gap", and you kinda get an idea of the turns. In certain areas, there's virtually no shoulder (edge of mountain), turns are completely blind, speeds are 65-75 and sometimes higher...oh, one other minor detail: It's so overcrowded that if you leave more that one car length, someone will cut in.

It's like NASCAR. People fucking draft each other, at 75 and even 85.

There's parts of the Belt Pkwy in NY like this, only there it's 4 lanes wide chaos, not two, and there's the occasional shore-bound family replete with all manner of recreational equipment - toys, rafts, bikes, lawn chairs, etc. - doing 25-40 which act as multi-colored prickly slalom pylons, which everyone careens around madly in an effort to avoid "losing position".

Sounds like some people on this board wouldn't last 5 minutes on the East Coast.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #42
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Yeah my wife freaks out when I don't leave multiple car lengths of space driving in those areas. I did it once just to show her what would happen and ended up almost losing my bumper from people cutting in
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #43
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

I should video it. I think some people have no notion...
Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #44
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I should video it. I think some people have no notion...
You should. You'd fit right in with all the fuckers doing it while staring at their Blackberries (which adds a whole new level to the fun)

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #45
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

BTW, kids, EVERYTHING in life is a risk/reward scenario.

We lament disease so much, we devote great monies, and research to it...meanwhile, car accidents kill more.

If we stopped to consider the risks of ever fucking going anywhere, we'd be paralyzed.

If you tried to reduce the speeds on 76 in PA, the area would grind to a halt, and no one would move. 1/4 as many cars could use it on any given day if everyone kept to the currently imposed limits, and observed proper following distances.

You have to live in the realm of WHAT'S FUCKING POSSIBLE.

Yes it's risky. You guys are all motorcyclists. WTF. You gonna start this kinda rationalizing NOW?

Save it.

Spare me the fucking road tax, and the guilt and paranoia just for trying to get home, like everyone else. PLEASE.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #46
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:

We lament disease so much, we devote great monies, and research to it...meanwhile, car accidents kill more.

If we stopped to consider the risks of ever fucking going anywhere, we'd be paralyzed.

If you tried to reduce the speeds on 76 in PA, the area would grind to a halt, and no one would move. 1/4 as many cars could use it on any given day if everyone kept to the currently imposed limits, and observed proper following distances.

Yes it's risky. You guys are all motorcyclists. WTF. You gonna start this kinda rationalizing NOW?

Save it.

Spare me the fucking road tax, and the guilt and paranoia just for trying to get home, like everyone else. PLEASE.
kinda makes you think about the editorial written by catterson in motorcyclist. bikes are becoming just like cars now days. I think those of us who enjoy driving/riding are in the lower percentile now days and the newer vehicles, which are obviously and necesarily made for the average "wheel holder" will remove much of the "excitement" of driving for us.
I have traction control in my Jeep even. At least I can turn it off to go have fun. LOL
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #47
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Good thing there's nothing in the fucking middle between NY and LA, huh (I guess)? Keep's dem folks safe, I reckon.

I mean, take the Schuylkill expressway in PA, along the main line (Route 76).

Typical speeds are about 65-75. Think a slightly more stretched out "Deals Gap", and you kinda get an idea of the turns. In certain areas, there's virtually no shoulder (edge of mountain), turns are completely blind, speeds are 65-75 and sometimes higher...oh, one other minor detail: It's so overcrowded that if you leave more that one car length, someone will cut in.

It's like NASCAR. People fucking draft each other, at 75 and even 85.

There's parts of the Belt Pkwy in NY like this, only there it's 4 lanes wide chaos, not two, and there's the occasional shore-bound family replete with all manner of recreational equipment - toys, rafts, bikes, lawn chairs, etc. - doing 25-40 which act as multi-colored prickly slalom pylons, which everyone careens around madly in an effort to avoid "losing position".

Sounds like some people on this board wouldn't last 5 minutes on the East Coast.

The Schuykill Is downright scary when its congested but "flowing" I hate riding my motorcycle on it bc people dont look before they switch lanes...and they damn sure dont use a blinker.

and I've had multiple State troopers come into my work and flat out say the only people they bother to pull over on the NJTP and GSP is anyone doing OVER 85...and the speed limit is 65 for most stretches. So essentially your buffer is 19MPH over. its apparent that not every police officer has this mentality but the vast majority will agree with the higher speed limit being "safer"

Arent there parts of road in the desert that dont have a speedlimit?
Old 04-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #48
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Color me crazy, but our F350 averaged MORE mpg when we freight-trained from Houston to San Marcos along I-10 at 80. I mean, that was the only thing we did differently on that tank of fuel and the mpg went up to 26.
You have a tuner on it. With proper tuning, they can get crazy milage at high speeds. All depends on how good your computer guy is.

Try that with a stock pickup. My 7.3L will get 20 driving 55, it gets about 13 at 85.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #49
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:

Save it.

I'm seriously impressed at your ability to keep arguing without anyone presenting a dissenting opinion.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #50
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Obviously someone is dissenting, or else we'd have reasonable limits. A few posts here questioned the safety of raising limits.

If safety were the only consideration, we'd have NO cars.