Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #41
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
35 cents in the machines, which were a ripoff compared to a store at under $3 per carton.

I think I'm getting old.
sorry bud but, I have to agree. LOL
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #42
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
I actually like the tax in a way. I quit just over 5 years ago. The girl said she would quit when she knew I was serious about this whole quitting thing. Now with the new taxes she did the roll your own for the last year and now for the last month she has finally been smoke free.
I'd have to get one of those rolling machines, I never could roll a cigarette.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #43
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750

Alright, well I quit smoking like a year and a half ago and honestly have never had the desire to start again. Maybe a smoke here or there but no real cravings so this tax doesn't affect me at all, but its still BULLSHIT!!!! Why are cigarettes and cigars being taxed and not other things? I know why, because the government knows if they tax smokers a large majority of smokers will keep smoking and just pay the tax because they are addicted, As oppose to taxing other things that people would be more likely to cut back on. Ive also hears some BS about the government doing it hoping to encourage people to quit smoking.... which is even more BS. Thats not the governments job in my opinion, and if it is screw the cig tax and start taxing fast food since obesity is a WAY bigger problem in this country. and a lot of people say they don't care but if the government decided to throw a astronomical tax on motorcycles like they have on cigs Ill bet you'd all care. You might think thats totally diffrent and would never happen but think about it. Is it really all that diffrent, motorcycles are considered to be a hobby or recreation by most people, and many people argue about how dangerous they are so... to me its not much diffrent at all. Lets just hope it never happens.

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #44
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

For a little more you could smoke crack. Atleast you get high with crack
Old 04-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #45
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostz28 View Post
Alright, well I quit smoking like a year and a half ago and honestly have never had the desire to start again. Maybe a smoke here or there but no real cravings so this tax doesn't affect me at all, but its still BULLSHIT!!!! Why are cigarettes and cigars being taxed and not other things? I know why, because the government knows if they tax smokers a large majority of smokers will keep smoking and just pay the tax because they are addicted, As oppose to taxing other things that people would be more likely to cut back on. Ive also hears some BS about the government doing it hoping to encourage people to quit smoking.... which is even more BS. Thats not the governments job in my opinion, and if it is screw the cig tax and start taxing fast food since obesity is a WAY bigger problem in this country. and a lot of people say they don't care but if the government decided to throw a astronomical tax on motorcycles like they have on cigs Ill bet you'd all care. You might think thats totally diffrent and would never happen but think about it. Is it really all that diffrent, motorcycles are considered to be a hobby or recreation by most people, and many people argue about how dangerous they are so... to me its not much diffrent at all. Lets just hope it never happens.
That is part of it, but another important component is the impression people have of smokers. Above you stated people don't care, but it is more than that. Many non smokers actively dislike smoking. This is one of the few taxes where people who don't participate in the activity go beyond "I don't care" and actually think "good, screw them" when they hear about it. The government knows they can tax cigarettes to the moon and not only will the majority not complain, they will applaud the measure.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #46
Frostz28
Redneck

Moto: 2005 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
That is part of it, but another important component is the impression people have of smokers. Above you stated people don't care, but it is more than that. Many non smokers actively dislike smoking. This is one of the few taxes where people who don't participate in the activity go beyond "I don't care" and actually think "good, screw them" when they hear about it. The government knows they can tax cigarettes to the moon and not only will the majority not complain, they will applaud the measure.
VERY VERY true! smokers have already been banned in most states from bars and all other "public" areas. So in my opinion at this point being around smokers is a choice. If your friend smokes and you don't like it, don't hang out with them. The problem with the nonsmokers as you said applauding these actions doesn't end with the smoking taxes and bans, the bigger problem is it sets a precedent for the government saying its ok to overtax what ever they want, and in my opinion violate the rights of bar owners by telling them what can and can't be allowed in THEIR bars. Establishments that they worked hard for and staked their well being on its success, and now the government can just walk in and say "you can't allow smoking, it remains legal you just can't allow people to do it in your establishment even though a large portion of your patrons smoke". All because "nonsmokers" pushed and applauded the government because they didn't like smoking, but the have failed to see the big picture and don't realize the power they just put in the governments hands. Then next time they might be on the other side of the issue but if the government can do it once they can and will do it again.

"Guys like me drink to many beers on Friday after work, our best blue jeans have skoal rings, we wear our boots to church"
Frostz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #47
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostz28 View Post
VERY VERY true! smokers have already been banned in most states from bars and all other "public" areas. So in my opinion at this point being around smokers is a choice. If your friend smokes and you don't like it, don't hang out with them. The problem with the nonsmokers as you said applauding these actions doesn't end with the smoking taxes and bans, the bigger problem is it sets a precedent for the government saying its ok to overtax what ever they want, and in my opinion violate the rights of bar owners by telling them what can and can't be allowed in THEIR bars. Establishments that they worked hard for and staked their well being on its success, and now the government can just walk in and say "you can't allow smoking, it remains legal you just can't allow people to do it in your establishment even though a large portion of your patrons smoke". All because "nonsmokers" pushed and applauded the government because they didn't like smoking, but the have failed to see the big picture and don't realize the power they just put in the governments hands. Then next time they might be on the other side of the issue but if the government can do it once they can and will do it again.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #48
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmblebee View Post
I stay well stocked in these...and don't pay any taxes
Problem is the only place I know to get Cubans online charge an outrageous price for them. It's located in Swiss-land and they'll deband the cigars to get past customs, but shit $15+ per stick...
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #49
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Yeah but Cohibas are sooo worth it.
I have a box of cuban cohibas tucked away in one of my humidors, They have to sit for 4 or 5 years to get full flavored. The Edmundos are good in about 40 months. That's the biggest problem with cuban cigars. They only age about 2 years at the factory before they sell them, so unless you check the box codes carefully, you have to age them for years before you can really enjoy them. The smokes I am enjoying now, have been sitting in my humidors for at least 3 years

I don't buy cigars, especially cubans online, you don't know how they have been kept or when they were rolled.

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any

Last edited by bmblebee; 04-05-2009 at 12:24 AM..
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #50
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
I'd have to get one of those rolling machines, I never could roll a cigarette.

Tutorial!!!

http://www.hempfiles.com/php/page.php?id=5
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote