Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #41
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Is that a credit card or a charge card?

I use their (AmEx) charge card and while I don't get money back it saved me almost $2k on our honeymon.
Credit card, you can carry a balance but the interest is real high. 28% I think so there is no way I'll ever carry balance on that card.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #42
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
I use their (AmEx) charge card and while I don't get money back it saved me almost $2k on our honeymoon.
How's that? I'm always getting offers for free Gold cards for a year and reduced Platinums, but have a hard time turning down the cash back in order to pay a fee. But if it saved you $2k, it might suddenly make sense.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #43
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Is that a credit card or a charge card?

I use their (AmEx) charge card and while I don't get money back it saved me almost $2k on our honeymoon.

Tell me about this! With a wedding to pay for and a honeymoon later, its a need to know! (My plan is to pay cash for everything, but I can set it aside to pay off a card later if the benefits are good enough)
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #44
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
And havent you heard of that new nifty invention, the check card? With a CC logo so it can be used everywhere? Avoiding the need for cash or checkbooks? You can even get bonuses and miles depending on your bank.
Chi, just curious:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
And for check cards v. credit cards: credit cards show up on your credit report, check cards don't. If I lose or someone gets hold of my credit card, my available cash isn't locked up and crucial payments (mortgage for example) don't bounce.

What is your argument for using a debit card instead of credit? Unless you don't trust yourself to spend within reason on a credit card?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #45
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Tell me about this! With a wedding to pay for and a honeymoon later, its a need to know! (My plan is to pay cash for everything, but I can set it aside to pay off a card later if the benefits are good enough)
Quote:
Chi, just curious:

Amex has been my primary card for the last two years. I cashed in a FUCK load of points that offset the airfare and one of the resorts we stayed at.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #46
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I do feel sorry for merchants because they get hit with a 2-3% fee when someone uses a credit card. Do they pay the same fees with debit cards?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #47
shmike
Follower

Quote:
How's that? I'm always getting offers for free Gold cards for a year and reduced Platinums, but have a hard time turning down the cash back in order to pay a fee. But if it saved you $2k, it might suddenly make sense.
I remember talking about this.

I'd stick with the blue.

I have the Platinum currently but will probably not be renewing it next year. I got it for international travel benefits but for one trip a year, the benefits don't out weigh the costs, IMO.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #48
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I do feel sorry for merchants because they get hit with a 2-3% fee when someone uses a credit card. Do they pay the same fees with debit cards?
Yes.

Sometimes the fees are less for debit cards but if it has a VISA/MC logo they are paying fees.

A portion of those fees go to the bank, which is why banks push debit cards so much.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #49
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I have one credit card that I've never used. I pay no fees and the interest rate is under ten percent, I don't know how low because I've never looked. Ulu uses it or there would never be a balance.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #50
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Chi, just curious:
I already stated it, but again, having been in the position of having debt and credit cards I couldnt pay, not all at my own choice or by my own actions, so for me, its more of a "if I cant pay cash for it, I dont need it" type mindset when it comes to credit cards. Houses and vehicles are different obviously, and I am not afraid I wouldnt be able to "behave", I just dont feel it necessary to make purchases if I cant readily get my hands on the funds via on of my cash accounts.

Quote:

Amex has been my primary card for the last two years. I cashed in a FUCK load of points that offset the airfare and one of the resorts we stayed at.
Ahhh...like i said goober, if the benefits are worth it, like saving $2k on a wedding and honeymoon, I would go for it. But, keeping in mind that the whole time I would be keeping equal amounts of cash in a seperate account to pay it all off at any one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
It depends on the program they have. If its got a CC logo they usually get charged the same fee whether its debit or credit. Many will charge you that fee in addition to the item or service to recoup their cost.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote