Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 AM   #41
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
LOL, we have the fellas in here confessing right and left, come on ladies FESS UP!
I'll admit!

I club raced pb's on cart tracks and it would be bad if I didn't have the urge to be faster than the guys - I was the only gal

Nowadays, I don't care if somebody is faster on the road (gals or guys) - I ride my own ride (on knobbies). If we are out on FS roads everybody rides it's on pace and we meet up on top or intersections, but it feels good if you are not the last one to arrive

When off-roading, I pick up my bike before anybody gets to me (I don't need no stinkin' men).

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #42
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
I most often see this as guys swarm to get out of pull offs/gas stations etc a head of me then I get to ride their ass the whole time. If you are faster than me, by all means get in front or I will be the first to wave you on. But damn it if you are going to slam the breaks in every corner, I'm going to get annoyed.
AMEN!

I ride my own ride and would rather be smooth and consistent than worry about if someone is faster or slower than me.

Last edited by racedoll; 06-11-2009 at 10:00 PM..
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #43
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceaholic View Post
Hokie is as fast or faster than most men I've ridden with. Riding with Kerry is only going to make her faster.
Lately, I've become the 'old conservative guy' cautioning her too keep it relatively slow on the street, and save the desire to really push herself for the track. After a decade or so of increasingly insane riding, I've spent the last few years fighting a self-preservation battle with myself to try and find a good compromise - a 'pace', if you will. Riding with Kathy (especially 2-up) has helped me find that 'comfort zone' and always reminds me that coming back home in one piece is far more important than pushing that next corner just a little faster.

I totally agree with Trip on our typical male retard-level tendencies. I think we also tend to measure ourselves & one another by how 'fast' we are (or think we are) vs. how in control we are. Perhaps that's a difference between how women tend to approach riding - when they don't feel quite in control, they generally have enough sense/self-preservation instinct to slow-the-fook-down, whereas men are more likely to take the do-it-or-die-trying approach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
I ride my own ride and would rather be smooth and consistent than worry about if someone is faster or slower than me.
Words of wisdom right there!
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #44
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Im faster than some, slower than others, would KILL to follow Hokie and Kerry around...
No need to go postal, girl!
Just come on up any weekend & tell us when/where to meet up! I bet Mr. Hand's, Trip's, a few other locals, etc... arms could be twisted for a 'mini-rally' too!
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #45
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post
No need to go postal, girl!
Just come on up any weekend & tell us when/where to meet up! I bet Mr. Hand's, Trip's, a few other locals, etc... arms could be twisted for a 'mini-rally' too!
If I get up that way, you bet your butt I'll be calling you guys up!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #46
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
:I think we also tend to measure ourselves & one another by how 'fast' we are (or think we are) vs. how in control we are. Perhaps that's a difference between how women tend to approach riding - when they don't feel quite in control, they generally have enough sense/self-preservation instinct to slow-the-fook-down, whereas men are more likely to take the do-it-or-die-trying approach!
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one!
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #47
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Lately, I've become the 'old conservative guy' cautioning her too keep it relatively slow on the street, and save the desire to really push herself for the track. After a decade or so of increasingly insane riding, I've spent the last few years fighting a self-preservation battle with myself to try and find a good compromise - a 'pace', if you will. Riding with Kathy (especially 2-up) has helped me find that 'comfort zone' and always reminds me that coming back home in one piece is far more important than pushing that next corner just a little faster.

I totally agree with Trip on our typical male retard-level tendencies. I think we also tend to measure ourselves & one another by how 'fast' we are (or think we are) vs. how in control we are. Perhaps that's a difference between how women tend to approach riding - when they don't feel quite in control, they generally have enough sense/self-preservation instinct to slow-the-fook-down, whereas men are more likely to take the do-it-or-die-trying approach
Nah, I don't buy it... I'll tell you why. Almost every time, including the most recent WSS round in Utah, a female gets a chance to run with the big dogs, either she fails miserably, is sadly mediocre or crashes. I've seen it several times. Hayes' girlfriend is no exception, seriously, so much ado was being made about her 21st place finish at Daytona. I mean whoopie doo, she finished behind a number of 16 year old kids on super sport bikes (like Tyler Odom) and was lapped. It's obvious that they are making a huge deal of this only because she is a woman and in a way THAT should almost be taken as an insult in itself. It's Crazykel's, "she's fast for a woman" scenario imo.

Now I don't claim to have the answer, my only guess is that girls don't "typically" grow up racing machines like we do. Little boys turn EVERYTHING into a race. From matchbox cars, to bicycles, to motorcycles. We are always competing in that way. Hell, I've raced sticks in the gutter after it's rained... Maybe Trip is right and they don't make "spacial calculations" as fast as we do but I don't like that idea either. It's like the choices are, they're too smart to risk getting hurt- per Kerry or they're too stupid to do the math- per Trip. I still in all sincere honesty believe that women should clean-up in motorcycle racing and I'll never understand why they don't...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #48
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

My take on why women don't compete well in racing is that we have a stronger biological "self preservation instinct" then men. Women's brains are set up to not take as many dangerous chances due to the fact that we may have children to take car of. Men have more testosterone and will take more chances. Just my outlook on it (i'm a Bio major so I tend to think that way)

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
My take on why women don't compete well in racing is that we have a stronger biological "self preservation instinct" then men. Women's brains are set up to not take as many dangerous chances due to the fact that we may have children to take car of. Men have more testosterone and will take more chances. Just my outlook on it (i'm a Bio major so I tend to think that way)
Strange that sounds A LOT like Kerry's theory... Again I don't know, but on the "self preservation" note. I've seen women basically give up and wait to die when the shit hits the fan. Guys keep running, fighting and striving to stay alive. That's self preservation, that's a survival instinct. Besides if there aren't any children, I'm not sure how that can be a factor. Women sky dive, climb mountains, smoke cigarettes, have un-protected sex, bungee jump, and engage in all types of stupid and life threatening activities the same as men.

I honestly don't think it's some noble "nurturing" instinct that keeps them from excelling in racing. Especially when they don't have any children. Besides, everyone keeps going on and on about how fast you are, what did you do? Have a hysterectomy or something? I mean if I have to, I'll accept that they just suck at the skills required to race and leave it at that but I'm not gonna accept that it's because they are too smart or too concerned about kids they don't even have to be great racers.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #50
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Tigger is ANYONE allowed to have an opinion other than you with out you trying to shoot them down? Its what I think and you dont have to buy it.....I wasn't trying to sell it to you anyway. It MY opinion from MY experience hence me saying "my take on it..."

And if people think I'm fast thats nice of them...somedays I feel fast some I don't. I have about 40,000 miles of experience on twisty roads so its more of "I'm used to them" verses "not having a uterus". Should I come out and say that since you were having a "bad day at the Gap" (your words not mine) that you have a vagina? give me a break.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote