Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #31
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I've spun all three of my GSXRs that way without any "breaks"... Hell, I did it three times today. I can't think of her name right now but the girl from Las Vegas extremes showed me how to do it in Daytona back in 2000 before they were famous (with my 'Busa, no less) and I have been doing it ever since.
I have know several guys who do the kickstand turn, but he's the only one I know who broke his kickstand. I would guess it's a rare occurance, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Last edited by MissHell; 06-09-2009 at 02:07 PM..
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 PM   #32
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Well, we know that the kickstand is not designed to support the full weight of the bike or to take the torque from spinning it on asphalt so I wouldnt be surprised to see one break.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #33
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Well, we know that the kickstand is not designed to support the full weight of the bike or to take the torque from spinning it on asphalt so I wouldnt be surprised to see one break.
Ah ah ah, exactly what is the break pressure of a kick stand exactly? We know nothing of the kind. For all I know, my kick stand might hold 5000 lbs. I'm sure that there are several factors involved with the failure that she described.... hahahaha!

I actually agree that it wasn't "designed" for that type of work... heck, I also kick my stand down, put my bike in neutral and "lean" on it with my feet up at long lights. I've been doing that for decades without any negative results. Actually, I'd love to see some figures on this. What is the pressure threshold of a GSXR's kickstand? How much torsional stress is generated by spinning a <400 lb bike on a approx. 1" piece of steel on asphalt. Where did it break btw? I'd imagine at the pivot point where the stand joins the mount, right?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #34
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I read somewhere that the stands are steel and very strong however the mounting bracket is aluminum and that is where breakage can accure. I used to spin my 250 like this all the time. Haven't really tried with the 750.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #35
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Ah ah ah, exactly what is the break pressure of a kick stand exactly? We know nothing of the kind. For all I know, my kick stand might hold 5000 lbs. I'm sure that there are several factors involved with the failure that she described.... hahahaha!
Here's what I know: All the people that payed me money over the years, to weld their kick- stands back together, are going to be seriously pissed to find out that they never break. I am so busted.

Quote:
I actually agree that it wasn't "designed" for that type of work... heck, I also kick my stand down, put my bike in neutral and "lean" on it with my feet up at long lights. I've been doing that for decades without any negative results. Actually, I'd love to see some figures on this. What is the pressure threshold of a GSXR's kickstand? How much torsional stress is generated by spinning a <400 lb bike on a approx. 1" piece of steel on asphalt. Where did it break btw? I'd imagine at the pivot point where the stand joins the mount, right?
Blah, blah, blah.

The facts are these, Galileo; Round pipes are really strong when they point straight up and down. Bend them over..., not so much. Bend them over, and add weight, they break.

JC

Last edited by askmrjesus; 06-09-2009 at 09:03 AM..
askmrjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #36
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

kel maybe you can gerry rig some kind of lazy susan thing. Ride it in, spin it around, ride it back out
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #37
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
kel maybe you can gerry rig some kind of lazy susan thing. Ride it in, spin it around, ride it back out
OMG we should totally invent this! We could make a small fortune!
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #38
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl View Post
I walk my backwards almost every time I park it. I never try to sit and move back and I'm only 5'7 and the bike has me on my toes. Are you just not comfortable walking it places? I can push/pull my bike forward or back anywhere with no problem. I'd say if you can't push it in/out of the space it doesn't sound like it's a good place to park it...
I'm in the same boat.

I always walk my bike backwards, since I'm only 5'4 and my bike has a 33 seat height. As mentioned before, just lean the bike against your thigh and you are much more stable pulling it around (works great in the dirt too).

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #39
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
OMG we should totally invent this! We could make a small fortune!

too late - just google bike turntable

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #40
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttle View Post
too late - just google bike turntable
Wow, they stole Gina's idea really fast!
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote