Gotcha.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #32
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I was on a job site in Greenville Mississippi a year or two ago and on the first night I asked the local Foreman where I could go grab some grub. He said if I like steak I should go check out Doe's. Be careful though, it's in a bad part of town and whatever you do, don't drive further down Nelson street than the restaurant is. Okay. I lived in Detroit for a while, so this sort of thing doesn't bother me.

I brought a co-worker with me and we found it okay. It's an old corner store turned into a restaurant. And I mean old. Run down, chipped paint, doors hanging off the hinges . . . and an armed guard standing out front. He kept an eye on everybody's cars parked along the street as there was no parking lot.

You enter through the run down, sticky kitchen and one of the guys working there handed me a beer out of the cooler on my way by. Once you get inside you see the exposed plumbing, exposed wiring, crooked floor, cheap little tables with red and white checkerboard table cloths on them.

They did have a small menu, but there wasn't much on it . . . and no prices. Hmm . . . oh well, the company is paying for it anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. Besides, how much could a couple steaks cost in a run-down joint like this?

Neither of us was very hungry, so we just got fillets, a potato, and a couple shrimp to go with it. The first thing they bring us is some of the home-made, cast iron skillet cooked toast. Toast, you ask? I'll tell you right now I have never had a piece of bread that compares to what she handed me. I could have eaten a loaf of that for dinner and been completely satisfied. Then came the steak & shrimp. Oh. My. God. Hands down, no exceptions, the best hunk of meat I've ever stuffed in my pie hole. Wow.

Then I got the bill. 2 fillets, 2 small side orders of shrimp, and 2 beers . . . $110.

I don't know if that counts as a dive due to the cost, but I'll tell you the place sure looked like a dive.

http://www.doeseatplace.com/

That is insane! I hate steak, but I would totally go there.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #33
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
It was 'spensive. I guess if you have to ask how much the t-bone is, you shouldn't be eating there.

Like I said, I just had the tiny little filet mingon and that with my 1 beer was over $50.
I'm guessing they knew you weren't locals.

You paid that month's rent and the rest of the patrons enjoyed the $9.95 Filet, shrimp and beer special.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #34
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I'm guessing they knew you weren't locals.

You paid that month's rent and the rest of the patrons enjoyed the $9.95 Filet, shrimp and beer special.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #35
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Snapped a pic of said Biscuit Barn on my way home yesterday. LOL

By contrast, here's the house right across the street from it.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #36
asdgirl
Canyon Carver

Moto: 70cc Zuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Why is it that the most run-down, dirty-looking shit holes can often have the best food?

I must have passed this place hundreds of times before today, never stopping in. The first 6 months we lived here, I thought it was an abandoned building. Turns out, it's only open for breakfast and they sell pretty much one thing - buttermilk biscuits. They'll give you whatever you want on it, but biscuits is what they do.

This morning I didn't feel like cereal, or eggs, or a piece of fruit - I wanted something different. So I decided to risk the hepatitis (seems I could catch it just by standing near the place) and hit the "drive-thru" of Guy's Biscuit Barn. Ordered a chicken biscuit and holy Cheesus.....this is the best fucking biscuit I've ever had in my life. Flaky, yet still slighly crumbly....but it doesn't fall apart in your hand like most do. Man, that shit was good. I'll probably have a really small lunch today, because I'm still full after that. I never would have thought such a shithole made such good biscuits.
LOL Tom and I used to live right down the street from the BBarn and thought the same thing! We finally stopped in and at least 2 Saturdays out of the month we would go eat some biscuits there before heading off to a garage sale or something. We are looking to move back to Cumming this winter and I can't WAIT to be close to the BBarn again. Damn fine fresh biscuits!!!!
asdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:09 AM   #37
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
There's a dive in a strip plaza back in Fort Lauderdale called "Alligator Alley". Dark, dirty, smelly and sticky little bar that serves lunch on Fridays. We'd go there every couple of months for lunch and have some of the best cajun food.....then go to the clinic for some booster shots after.
Ever been to Tom Jenkins BBQ in Ft Lauderdale? You wouldnt even notice it driving past but you can smell the food from blocks away and its some of the best barbecue Ive ever had.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #38
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Never heard of Dreamland. Best BBQ place we found up here so far is Williams Bros. in Canton.
You have to go to OBs in McDonough. I've never had any better ribs in my life. Now another BBQ place I like is Fat Matt's BBQ near Cheshire and Peidmont. Maybe not the greatest ribs but the atmosphere and the blues they have playing is just win.

The Biscuit Barn. Are you talking about the place in Lawrenceville? They do have some good shit.

Of course if you want some damn good BBQ just hit up southside Atlanta and look for a restaurant with De or Da in the name. Such as "De best chicken in Da south"
Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #39
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Ever been to Tom Jenkins BBQ in Ft Lauderdale? You wouldnt even notice it driving past but you can smell the food from blocks away and its some of the best barbecue Ive ever had.
Heard of it but never been there. When I'm down for work we sometimes will hit the Dixie Pig over off Old Dixie and Commercial(?). Tiny little place but pretty good.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #40
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
You have to go to OBs in McDonough. I've never had any better ribs in my life. Now another BBQ place I like is Fat Matt's BBQ near Cheshire and Peidmont. Maybe not the greatest ribs but the atmosphere and the blues they have playing is just win.

The Biscuit Barn. Are you talking about the place in Lawrenceville? They do have some good shit.

Of course if you want some damn good BBQ just hit up southside Atlanta and look for a restaurant with De or Da in the name. Such as "De best chicken in Da south"
This Biscuit Barn is in Cumming - the corner of Spot and Dr. Bramblett.

Have not tried OBs - we're never find ourselves in that area of the metro. There's a couple of decent places we've been to near my office in Alpharetta. Smoke Jack's is one of them. Then there's a chain BBQ place up off exit 13 that's pretty good - "Jack's and Dave's" or something like that. Can't recall the name just now.