Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #31
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Except, my phone's on time just about doubles if I charge it off.

Now it could be that it burns more power plugged in, and doesn't reset when you unplug it, but that'd be a stupid design flaw, and since stand-by time is an important design criteria, I'd be surprised so many manufacturers screw it up.

I've assumed that the voltage supplied to the battery while on is not quite as high compared to when it's off. It's either that or since they all use switching power supplies, which work by controlling the amount of charge delivered to the dc side, the on phone consumes a portion that would other wise go the battery.

Last edited by Rsv1000R; 01-23-2009 at 01:19 PM..
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #32
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

I'll buy that. Try just "finishing" the charge sequence with the phone offline, and see if it helps. It might allow you "top off".
Old 01-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #33
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I'll buy that. Try just "finishing" the charge sequence with the phone offline, and see if it helps. It might allow you "top off".
I'm pretty sure that would also work, But I just shut it off at night and charge it.

I do think I'll try charging it on, and then cycling the power and seeing what kind of stand-by time I get.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #34
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
C) I don't think having your phone on or off while charging makes that much of a difference, but recently I have discovered a bit of useful info by experience: If your phone IS on while charging, and you take it off when fully recharged, cycle your phone's power before you stick it back in your pocket. Why? Because a phone when first turned on negotiates RF power transmission strength with the tower. If this negotiation is made with the phone plugged in, the RF output will be determined based on line power, and not battery power. Switching to battery will then result in reduced RF output (if the phone doesn't properly dynamically adjust - which it's supposed to do, but often does so with less-than-favorable results). By cycling the power off and on again, you force your cell phone to negotiate RF transmission strength based on available battery power, and it often results in "more bars", and a more stable signal.
which explains why I got dropped calls when switching to battery power and having the phone turned off at the time.

Damn interesting.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote