Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #31
JK
noodles... dont noodles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post

The original Day The Earth Stood Still is a classic.
i watched it again last month just for kicks, and its much more pointed a story these days.

there is a part that a newsman walks through a crowd at the ship asking everyone "what do you fear? what frightens you?" And moves on by quickly when klaatu expresses optimism.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #32
AquaPython
put it THIS way

nah hugh jackman is a great actor and pulls off an amazing wolverine. if it was not for his performance, the xmen movies would have bombed.

wolverine on wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(comics)

background:
Wolverine's first intended origin

Co-creator Len Wein originally intended for Logan to be a mutated wolverine cub, evolved to humanoid form by the High Evolutionary.[13] In X-Men #98, a biological analysis of Wolverine suggests that he was in some way different from the other X-Men, and in X-Men #103, Wolverine says he doesn't believe in leprechauns, to which the leprechaun replies, "Maybe leprechauns don't believe in talkin' wolverines, either."[14] In a reprint of Hulk #180-181, titled Incredible Hulk and Wolverine, an interview with Cockrum supports the claim that Wolverine was intended to be a mutated wolverine. Cockrum said he considered having the High Evolutionary play a vital role in making Wolverine a human. He wanted Wolverine to be the age of a young adult, with superhuman strength and agility similar to Spider-Man. This changed when Cockrum saw John Romita Sr. draw a mask-less Wolverine as a hairy 40-year-old. Creator Len Wein originally intended the claws to be retractable and part of Wolverine's gloves, and both gloves and claws would be made of adamantium. This idea was later nixed by Claremont because he believed anyone could then become Wolverine by wearing the gloves. The claws are first revealed to be part of Wolverine's anatomy in X-Men #98.

[edit] Wolverine's second intended origin

Byrne said (as stated in interviews and on his website) that he drew a possible face for Wolverine - but then learned that John Romita Sr. had already drawn one for him (Wolverine's face, drawn by Cockrum, can be seen in Uncanny X-Men #98, long before Byrne started). Later, Byrne used the drawing for Sabretooth's face (an enemy of Iron Fist, who Claremont was also currently writing). Byrne then came up with the idea of Sabretooth being Wolverine's father (they both had similar healing abilities and raging tempers). Together, Byrne and Claremont came up with Wolverine being around 60 and having served in World War II after escaping from Sabretooth (who was around 120 years old and had been abusing him for decades - explaining his rages). The plan had been for Wolverine to have been almost crushed in an accident; at which point he would discover (when attempting to stand for the first time after recovering) that his healing factor does not work on bones - his legs immediately break. He then spends over a decade in a hospital bed, almost going mad (another reason for his berserker rages) when the Canadian Government approaches him with the idea of replacing his skeleton one bone at a time with solid adamantium - the claws being an extra surprise. This origin too was never used.

[edit] Fictional character biography

James Howlett in Origin #2.

Main article: Fictional history of Wolverine
Born in 19th century Canada to rich plantation owners, James Howlett grows into manhood on a mining colony in Northern Alberta, adopting the name "Logan", which is the last name of the plantation groundskeeper, Thomas Logan and his son Dog. [15] Logan leaves the colony and lives for a time in the wilderness among wolves, until returning to civilization, residing with the Blackfoot Indians. Following the death of his Blackfoot paramour, Silver Fox, he is ushered into a Canadian military unit. Logan then spends some time in Madripoor, developing his "Patch" persona; before settling in Japan, where he marries and has a son.
During World War II, Logan teams with Captain America versus HYDRA, and continues a career as a soldier-of-fortune/adventurer. Logan works for the First Canadian Parachute Battalion[16] and the CIA before being recruited for Team X.
As a member of Team X, Logan is given false memory implants. He continues on the team, until he is able to break free of the mental control and joins the Canadian Defense Ministry. Logan is subsequently kidnapped by Weapon X, where he remains captive and experimented on, until his rescue by the Winter Soldier, after which he returns to the Canadian wilderness. It is during his imprisonment by Weapon X that he has unbreakble adamantium forcibly fused into his bones.
Logan is eventually discovered by James and Heather Hudson, who help him recover his humanity. Following his recovery, Logan, this time under the supervision of Department H, once again works for Canadian Intelligence. Logan becomes Wolverine, one of Canada's first superheroes. In his first mission, he is dispatched to stop the destruction caused by a brawl between the Hulk and the Wendigo.
Professor X recruits Wolverine to a new team of X-Men.[17] Disillusioned with his Canadian intelligence work and intrigued by Xavier's offer, Logan resigns from Department H. Logan continues to adventure as a superhero, eventually recovering his memories.[18]
In X-Men #25 (1993), at the culmination of the "Fatal Attractions" crossover, the supervillain Magneto forcibly removes the adamantium from Wolverine's skeleton. This massive trauma causes his healing factor to burn out and also leads to the discovery that his claws are actually bone. Wolverine leaves the X-Men for a time, embarking on a series of adventures during which his healing factor returns, greatly increased in speed and efficiency. After his return to the X-Men, Cable's son Genesis kidnaps Wolverine and attempts to re-bond adamantium to his skeleton.[19] This is unsuccessful and causes Wolverine's mutation to accelerate out of control. He is temporarily changed into a semi-sentient beast-like form in which he gains greater physical power than ever before, at the price of part of his humanity; he kills Genesis shortly after this occurs. Finally, the villain Apocalypse captures Wolverine, brainwashes him, and has the adamantium re-bonded to his skeleton successfully. Wolverine overcomes Apocalypse's programming and returns to the X-Men.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #33
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Fuck Hugh Jackman. And as for the personality thing, he does not have it in the bag, or else he would have punched Cyclops in the nuts with claws extended in the third movie. He does Wolverine with the same angsty, emo faggotry that made the 2004 Punisher suck. You can make good memories, but not from watching those movies.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #34
Dova80
Canyon Carver

Moto: MV Agusta

Hugh is to big to be Wolvie... But he does a alright job of playing him.

I certianly do look forward to the movie! I wanna see him be feral!

We can make assumptions all day, and you know what they say about assuming. It means you're a fucking moron.
Dova80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #35
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

it's nowhere near as good as the first one. i thought 2004 punisher was decent and i was hoping for a sequel instead of a remake. war zone got the violence down, but sacrificed a good storyline and the character intros for it
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #36
AquaPython
put it THIS way

the first punishers all bombed miserably at the box office. so for some unknown reason they think they can make money off the franchise, and keep trying to reinvent it...every 2 years....
Old 12-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #37
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

As far as bombing goes, I doubt that any of you even remember that Dolph Lundgren was in the first attempt at making a Punisher movie
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #38
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

i dont even remember them really advertising the 2004 punisher, not nearly as much as they did for this steaming pile of crap
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:41 AM   #39
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
As far as bombing goes, I doubt that any of you even remember that Dolph Lundgren was in the first attempt at making a Punisher movie
I remember it, I have it on DVD, and it's a lot better than the Thomas Jane version, which ended up being the Punisher and Friends. The last one could have been awesome, but the other people in his building could have been deleted and it would have been ok. I know they Rebecca Romain, but make her a hooker or a nurse or something, she doesn't need to be a love interest.

Thomas Jane didn't do the worst job, but instead of being angry and vengeful he was depressed and clipped.

As for the new one, it looks like a Steven Segeal movie with someone else in a skull t-shirt. I'm pissed.