Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #31
Flexin
AMA Supersport

In one way it wouldn't be bad if there was areas set up for a bunch of them. Almost like a mini sub division. On a lake and so on with one real size building to store kayaks and so on.

On problem I see is price. On the site some are $40000 to have built. That's nuts imo. They say you can so it yourself for about $16000. To me that doesn't add up because excavation is a good piece of the cost of the house (land clearing, evcavating, water/sewer, foundation) but that isn't needed for this place. You could wire and plumb this place with scrap from a real house so I'm not seeing where all the extra cost comes from.

It might be nice if you want to live cheap and retire real early.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM   #32
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
In one way it wouldn't be bad if there was areas set up for a bunch of them. Almost like a mini sub division. On a lake and so on with one real size building to store kayaks and so on.

On problem I see is price. On the site some are $40000 to have built. That's nuts imo. They say you can so it yourself for about $16000. To me that doesn't add up because excavation is a good piece of the cost of the house (land clearing, evcavating, water/sewer, foundation) but that isn't needed for this place. You could wire and plumb this place with scrap from a real house so I'm not seeing where all the extra cost comes from.

It might be nice if you want to live cheap and retire real early.

James
General building materials have gone up significantly in price over the last 7-8 years so I would imagine that helps make the price what it is. Add in those things you cannot make yourself from raw materials like windows (couple hundred each, $500 or more for specialty), appliances (figure at least a grand, but could be much more), raw and grey water tanks, toilet, sinks, counters, and shower and the $16k number makes sense to me.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #33
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Couldn't see the video earlier and just watched it. It's cooler looking than I first thought BUT at $40k...negative.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:15 PM   #34
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
General building materials have gone up significantly in price over the last 7-8 years so I would imagine that helps make the price what it is. Add in those things you cannot make yourself from raw materials like windows (couple hundred each, $500 or more for specialty), appliances (figure at least a grand, but could be much more), raw and grey water tanks, toilet, sinks, counters, and shower and the $16k number makes sense to me.
The $16000 I can understand. Its the 24 grand to have someone build a doll house on a trailer that I can't figure out.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #35
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I do live in a super small apartment!
How small?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #36
MILK
The cows want you dead.

That a family used to live in my cabin baffles me sometimes. I am constantly tripping over dogs! Not to mention I am taking up all the closet space by myself!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #37
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

I think the wife and I could do it. The kids, not so much.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #38
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
The $16000 I can understand. Its the 24 grand to have someone build a doll house on a trailer that I can't figure out.

James
That part of it has nothing to do with costs and everything to do with what people are willing to pay. Considering this requires building everything from scratch I have to believe this project requires as much, if not more, time as building a complex kit car (GT-40 and some Cobras) or a homebuilt airplane. Those take people upward of a year to build. Hell, I've seen relatively simple chopper projects take people a year or more to complete.

It comes down to what someone will pay to 1) not have to build it themselves, 2) not need the space a half-built house/trailer project will require, and 3) not have to deal with repercussions of any mistakes they make in the build. My guess is for many, especially those with no building skill or those who want one as a vacation cabin, $24k will be well worth it.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #39
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
That part of it has nothing to do with costs and everything to do with what people are willing to pay. Considering this requires building everything from scratch I have to believe this project requires as much, if not more, time as building a complex kit car (GT-40 and some Cobras) or a homebuilt airplane. Those take people upward of a year to build. Hell, I've seen relatively simple chopper projects take people a year or more to complete.

It comes down to what someone will pay to 1) not have to build it themselves, 2) not need the space a half-built house/trailer project will require, and 3) not have to deal with repercussions of any mistakes they make in the build. My guess is for many, especially those with no building skill or those who want one as a vacation cabin, $24k will be well worth it.
A kit can be built in three days. The guys that take years are dragging their ass or doing it as money comes in. I'm not saying that this can be built in a afternoon but a few skilled guys should be able to have that built in two weeks if all the supplies are there. Where it is a trailer I don't think it would have to go through all of the building inspections so that saves a ton of time.

If people are getting $24000 for labor on these I will build one for anyone that wants one.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 07-19-2010, 06:16 PM   #40
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I lived in a camper even smaller than that for around a year. It was definitely one of the funnest times of my life. I lived about 2 miles from my favorite stream/lake inlet, 1 mile from work, I had a jon boat, a motorcycle, my jeep, my dog and that was all I needed! It was a lot of fun as it forced me to go outdoors and DO something if I wanted to have fun.

I woke up one morning in February, rolled onto my back and opened my eyes to find my ceiling 2 inches from my face. I slithered out of bed and found that a huge (for North Texas) snowstorm had rolled through and it was weighing the canvas down. The insulation and the heat was horrible, and was run off propane tanks that I would have to change at 3am in 20 degree weather on occasion, sharing body heat with my Pit was a necessity Tornadoes/thunderstorms were pretty scary too.

Surprisingly, women (especially cougars), didn't seem to have any problem with it and rather enjoyed hanging out. I remember after an early morning date walking outside afterward and my neighbors giggling at me, lol. The way the "rooms" extended out from the wheelbase made for plenty of rocking.

Even as a very happily married family dude, there are times when I feel a longing for that type of lifestyle, it was a blast.

Ha I lived in a camper for about 6 months when I first came home. It was Spring/Summer and I had a blast!!! Of course I was in my 20s...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote